How do you control spin with your wedges? Or do you hit it and hope?

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
I've put a ton of work into short game this season. I've taken a weakness and made it more of a strength. But I'm trying to learn how to control the amount of spin I get with different shots. Obviously there are times I want to hit it past the hole and suck it back because of various things. But there are times I want the ball to hit and stop, or hit and release a little bit.

Any ideas? What works for you?

I don't hit it with enough spin to have to worry about ripping it back, so that's kinda nice hehe

On shots though where you would be more concerned with spin, I would think flighting it lower would help take some spin off for you and then it's just a matter of your distance control ability.

I don't hit it with enough spin to have to worry about ripping it back, so that's kinda nice hehe

On shots though where you would be more concerned with spin, I would think flighting it lower would help take some spin off for you and then it's just a matter of your distance control ability.

I don't know man - like you I don't put enough spin to pull it back. Have only done it once from the fairway and it was from a steep swing that actually was flighted (unintentionally) pretty low. It bit 3 feet from the flag and ripped back quite a bit.

I'm a hit it and hope type of player. Usually try to play for a little roll out but honestly I'm not good enough to get distances down that well.

Me control spin lol. I just hit it high enough for it to stop how my driver and hybrids hold the green no idea I just swing the clubs.

Hit and hope for sure for me, but I typically end up getting action on the rare times I do get a GIR.

I've put a ton of work into short game this season. I've taken a weakness and made it more of a strength. But I'm trying to learn how to control the amount of spin I get with different shots. Obviously there are times I want to hit it past the hole and suck it back because of various things. But there are times I want the ball to hit and stop, or hit and release a little bit.

Any ideas? What works for you?

That's easy, just hit it and call the spin while the ball hasn't even reached its apex yet. Then watch it hit the green, suck back 12 feet left to 18". No problem.

IMO ... It's easier to Not try and back it up. You can't control the amount it backs up as consistently. I always ask someone who wants to put spin on the ball, "how often are your shots short of the flag?" If they say 90% of the time or a lot ... then why do you want to put spin on it to back it up? Ken Venturi was a big promoter of this way of thinking.

But if you do, the faster your hands & your hips come thru the shot, the more spin you will impart on the ball. Most of the time, I look for the "drop & stop" performance which is a lot easier to control. I like to hit "hold off" shots with the wedge or the "take 2 bounces & stop" shot.

I haven't mastered spin control. I can't quite get the one hop-stop shot, the best I've gotten is a one hop-slow roll. To get enough spin to pull it back I need a full swing and clean ball contact, which I can't do consistently. I tend to use a lower lofted club if I want a shot to run, and rely more on height than spin if I want to have the ball stop quickly.

No idea, but I'd love to hear from someone on here that does know how. It's something I've thought about lately and I think it would really open up new options for me.

I'm more in the hit it and hope side of things. My game is not in tune enough to consistently throw the ball 6 foot past the pin and know it's coming back about the same. It's much more of an accident when that does happen that way, unfortunately.

I don't think it's as important to "control your spin" as it is to understand how much spin you typically see with a given type of shot. Once you understand that, you can choose your shot type based on the spin you want to see. Of course, it's only one factor for choosing your shot type.

Me with a pitching wedge:

Step 1- Hit ball.

Step 2- Pray.

Step 3- (Optional) Do a happy dance or mumble frustrations.

i don't spin the ball back, but on full shots the ball almost always finishes within 1-6' of its pitchmark. sure, that can be the difference between making the putt or missing it, but that's just too small a margin for me to try to manage based on my skill level.

so the spin control i'm looking for is trying to manage roll out around the greens. am i trying to one hop and stop, or pitch and roll, or chip, or bump? for the shots i'm trying to get to stop relatively close to their initial landing spot, i'm trying to hit the ball with a little in-to-out action at impact, hands slightly ahead, no fanning of the face, and speed through impact.

I'm in the hit and hope category. I can't control the spin, but I do love seeing the hop and stop!! :clapp:

I hit it and hope, most of the time when I generate spin back it hurts me as it was short and...spins back further away from the hole.

Dead hands takes a lot of spin off, also I club up and 3/4 shots if I'm worried about spin.

I have no clue. It's always impressed me the way the pros rip the ball backwards with spin when they want to, sometimes even too much.

I don't worry about it. I plan for roll out even with wedges. Not as much as a chip shot obviously, but I don't take full swings with my wedges so I am not putting a ton of spin on them.

Hit and hope for me....for sure

How do you control spin with your wedges? Or do you hit it and hope?

For me to have a lot of spin, I need to be swinging roughly 3/4 or above. Half shots and touch shots don't get enough speed for me to impart a lot of spin. I play a couple different shots with my wedges, basically high, mid & low. The high sets down soft but doesn't spin a lot, the mid spins but will definitely roll out. The only one I can pull back is the low and to do it I setup with the ball slightly back in my stance and make sure I hit it with a descending strike. It's definitely a bit of a guess as to how much it will spin back, but between the three shot choices I have three different roll outs. Usually I strive for hop and stop.

I don't do much for controlling spin. I just know that if I take a wedge and put an 80-90% swing on it, it will pretty well stop where it lands. If I want to suck it back, its a full swing.

~Rock

I control my spin by having different shots with different clubs for each distance. I tend to spin my wedges a bunch though. I have a low drawing pitch with a lower lofted club for one hop and stop shots or pitch and runs, but I can take a higher lofted wedge if I need the ball to stop quickly or come back.

Basically, Ive spent a pile of time this season learning to control spin and distance though choking up or down on a club and using full and 3/4 swings with every wedge and iron in my bag. Full shots spin more than partial shots, so Ive practiced having more options on my approaches than just "I hit my 7 iron 180 so Ill hit that club".

I do not try and suck the ball back to the flag, I understand the principles on how to do it but there are too many variables to make it worth it for me.

I control spin by controlling shot shape, trajectory and hand/club head speed. The faster the hands or club head move through the ball the more spin is generated. Trajectory also effects how that spin is used a high shot with low spin still stops closer to the pitch mark than a low shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit and hope!!

I don't get them to back up. On full shots they tend to stop within a foot or two of the mark. Around the green I play my shots to roll out. If I have little green to work with I am likely hitting it on the fringe to take speed off of it.

Back