How do you control spin?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We always hear on tv that the players need to control their spin with wedges. Got me thinking... Do you know how to control your spin? Can you do it on command and if so...how?

Hit and hope...

Joking aside, I don't have that ability to control spin, but I am pretty comfortable with the spin I generate and have a good idea of where the ball will finish compared to where it landed
Every now and again I will catch one better on the short greenside chips and get a bit more spin than I expect which has the ball pulling up quicker than I expect and leaves me short

Lol no. Not currently a part of my game.

I wish was able to control my spin . As a player who puts lot of spin on the ball it sometimes causes me lot of trouble

• Admin
Less club, control distance that way. That being said, only time I’m trying to do something like this is when it’s really into the wind and I’m just trying to avoid it upshooting and going nowhere

Painful truth aside, the easiest way to lower my spin is to club up and swing soft. Less loft + less speed = less spin and less height. It also means I'm going to snap hook the ball left of the Pacific, but hey we can't win 'em all.

When I want the ball to spin less I take more club and swing easier. For example my 58* goes 80 yards on a full 100% swing. If I am concerned about it spinning back I would take a 54* choke it down a bit and hit it easier. That swing for 80 yards will hit and kick forward a few feet vs potentially spinning back.

I have lots of spin generally. It helps me hold greens for sure. But when it becomes side spin it sure makes the following recovery shot interesting. A part of my game to definitely work on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I try to use more club, smoother swing as well to take spin off. But another thing I do that works for me that's not swing or club related is when I get to par 3's. If I want and need more spin I tee it up a little. If it's a hole placement where I don't want spin, I don't tee it up, but rather just put in on the deck.

Simplest way to go about it is. Speed generates spin. IF you want less spin use less speed.

You can also chock down, play the ball back or forward, try to hit a cut or draw. All of these things will adjust flight, spin, and speed characteristics.

For me it’s with a more compact swing and ball position. I’ve learned to hit a 3/4 wedge shot with the ball back in my stance that comes in low and checks up. I have more success with those than hitting on high and making it stop.

I have no idea, not sure it makes much of a difference with my slow swing speed.

Club up, 3/4 swing with a hold off finish. Arms go from 9 to 3 on the clock.

If I need less spin, I just don't hit the ball. It almost never has much spin when I do hit it....:oops:

Okay kids, spin...it's super simple to hit little spinners that stop and check, and you just need to have some checkpoints to go through and good SetUp. Keep in mind, if you're trying to hit a shot that stops and checks on an approach where the green slopes away from you, it's not gonna happen, and if the green is sloping towards you, this shot is much easier.

Spin happens because we:
  1. Add loft, either through the club selection or
  2. We hit down on the ball and have a steeper angle of attack, or
  3. We have an out-to-in path or cut across the ball, or
  4. All 3 👆🏻
To take spin off a shot, do the opposite of 👆: De-loft, move the ball up in your stance, get path more in-to-out using a different setup.

HOW TO? This is pretty straight forward; we will have a bunch videos on this in our Program when we launch, so stay tuned. 😉 Until that glorious launch, try this...
  • SetUp square or open (see #3 above) with your weight fudging left. 60% or so
  • Ball Center to slightly forward, depending on how high you want to hit it or get it up. If you have a full wedge, you can put it slightly back to increase angle of attack
  • Take it back along your stance line
    • You either can or cannot hinge your wrists back for a pitch. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you NOT hinge them because that adds an element of complexity you don't need when trying to learn this shot. And it's not as consistent. While hinging your wrists and properly returning the shaft where it started will add angle of attack you don't need it.
  • Rotate to your lead side (left for a leftie, right for righty) using your FEET
  • Return the handle back to where you started (see above: it should be pretty close to straight up and down and in center of your SetUp)
    • DO NOT try to lean the handle forward, or pull the handle down towards the ball. This produces inconsistent contact, exposes the leading edge (by by bounce) and isn't necessary.
  • Keep turning and feel like your chest really opens as you rotate

My golf coach always talks about hip movement in relation to decreasing spin with driver. I suppose that this plays into the way the club is delivered into the ball and affects dynamic loft.

No idea how to control spin. Seems to spin a lot more when I get the ball before the turf though so that's gotta be something right?

I cannot control spin, but I can control flight. Move it back in my stance for lower flight and up in my stance for higher flight.

I can lower the heck out of my spin by drop kicking the club into the ball. It works every time but you need to redefine success.

No idea how to control spin. Seems to spin a lot more when I get the ball before the turf though so that's gotta be something right?
Right, but you should be hitting the ball before the turf on all shots...😉

Last edited:
My golf coach always talks about hip movement in relation to decreasing spin with driver. I suppose that this plays into the way the club is delivered into the ball and affects dynamic loft.
Depends what he means by "hip movement"

Back