How do you control spin?

Control spin? Eh not really. I mean, on chip shots I can play a little chip that comes off dead and just rolls out or I can have a little check to it, but in general it’s not a safe thing for me to do as I don’t understand exactly how or why it happens. Which means I’ll get the occasional drop and stop when I need the runner haha

See #'s 1 & 2 above...you're controlling spin, you just didn't know it. 🤷‍♂️
Sweet!!! I do notice the lower flighted shot definitely seems to have a lot more spin even though there is rollout it always has some action on it when it first hits the turf. A more lofted shot doesn't seem to have any action. It just lands and rolls a bit with the direction of the break. Into an uphill slope the lower flight will actually stop dead in it's tracks after one hop.

Nope, I don't know how to control spin, and I never worry about it. I've hit so many balls in my life, I pretty much know what the ball is going to do in different conditions. I just hit the ball, and let it do it's thing.

I do know a steeper angle of attack (aoa) can put more spin on the ball. Clean grooves also help a little. I also know the lie of the ball, and the landing area conditions of the ball have a lot to do with spin.

I never was able to develope the right swing technique to get a ball to spin backwards after hitting the green.

No, I just learned to hit different length flop shots when I need a critical distance for the ball to stop at. Found floppers to be an easier shot for me. It's not the correct way to get the ball to check up, but it works for me.

I don't generally worry about controlling the spin to much. I generate enough to get the ball to stop and sometimes spin back depending on the situation .

I have two levels of spin. None and gobs. I used to be able to hit the little knockdown irons, but that skill has left me.

Depends what he means by "hip movement"

As I understand it, he is talking about the disassociation of the hips and upper body in the turn back and the follow through.

I can lower the heck out of my spin by drop kicking the club into the ball. It works every time but you need to redefine success.

I have notice that shanks don’t spin much easier. Does that shot type fit into your new paradigm of what constitutes a successful swing?

Just switched my ball lol. Played a box of pro v1x and the spin was crazy. Got hot a few weeks back and dropped 4 or 5 shots pin high within 5 ft of the pin and all of them spun 15 ft back. My miss is long so I can’t aim too far past the pin. Switched to pro v1 and z-star xv and it was incredible how much it reduced spin on full shots.

Just switched my ball lol. Played a box of pro v1x and the spin was crazy. Got hot a few weeks back and dropped 4 or 5 shots pin high within 5 ft of the pin and all of them spun 15 ft back. My miss is long so I can’t aim too far past the pin. Switched to pro v1 and z-star xv and it was incredible how much it reduced spin on full shots.

The V1X should spin more than the V1, and the TP5 more than the TP5X...golf companies love messing with golfers. Either one though will allow you to spin the ball effectively, and only vary on the margin with feel and spin differences with Driver/Irons: i.e. you won't likely notice

I don't have enough spin to worry about controlling it. That would be a fun challenge to have though.

The V1X should spin more than the V1, and the TP5 more than the TP5X...golf companies love messing with golfers. Either one though will allow you to spin the ball effectively, and only vary on the margin with feel and spin differences with Driver/Irons: i.e. you won't likely notice
I only noticed with the wedges on full shots. The pro v1x spun like crazy and the pro v1 dropped dead or spun back a couple feet. No noticeable difference on chipping, putting, drives or irons.

Hit it off the toe, just a little.

I have notice that shanks don’t spin much easier. Does that shot type fit into your new paradigm of what constitutes a successful swing?
It’s in the ball park. It’s a great way to attack a dog leg right.

First, thanks for your input!

A slight bit off topic, but since you mentioned the V1 and the TP5X (I play both currently), I have a question. I am struggling with controlling my short irons and wedges into greens due to too much spin... and I don't seem to lack spin off the driver either. Should I move to a ball like the Chromesoft or AVX? Are there other balls you think better for this situation that are good at lowering spin, but provide better green side control?

First, thanks for your input!

A slight bit off topic, but since you mentioned the V1 and the TP5X (I play both currently), I have a question. I am struggling with controlling my short irons and wedges into greens due to too much spin... and I don't seem to lack spin off the driver either. Should I move to a ball like the Chromesoft or AVX? Are there other balls you think better for this situation that are good at lowering spin, but provide better green side control?

The AVX will help marginally, or if you aren't interested in making a few simple swing changes (see below). [I'm not a ball expert BTW 😂, so take that with a grain of salt]

If you have too much spin; the best way to lower it is to decrease your angle of attack, and not add loft at impact... it sounds like you have plenty of speed, so you don't need to add loft at impact. That means changing your impact and release. If I were you, I might work on that first, and play the ball that helps you control spin around the greens the best (V1 & TP5X).

If I need the ball to just stop on a dime on a pitch shot or chip shot I just fat the heck out of it and it goes approx 2 ft in front of me and stops. On the contrary if i'm looking for that ball to run like speedy gonzalez I like to catch it right in its mid section and watch it go! Other than that it's all up in the air for me.

I try to control with angle of attack. I have some level of success.

I'm not the best at getting more spin out of my irons, but do hit it quite high, so stoppage is usually not a problem

I try to have multiple flight and spin combination available for every wedge shot, and I practice my wedges for that. I use different ball positions, paths, attack angles, hand positions and hinge, you name it. When you play in Nebraska and have to throw wedges through 35 mph crosswinds you learn variety or die. I think that is and will continue to be the greatest thing I learned playing there, and I barely remember when I didn't do it a little differently on every shot.

The complete lack of spin makes it much easier to not have to worry about controlling spin.

Really though, the only time I have an issue with controlling spin is when suddenly I have a shot that spins and/or checks way more than I was expecting. Usually rely on a medium amount of rollout, and when I don't get that generally leaves me short of what I wanted.

They're pro golfers because they control their spin. "Pro golfers need to control their spin." Faldoism. :LOL:
I thought that was always misleading commentary on pro golf.

Matt pretty much have you guys all the technical stuff. Here’s a simple way to think about it. Take more club and choke down a half inch. Ball position left eye. Swing back to your left arm reaches parallel and swing through with a abbreviated Patrick Reed Finish. Try not using your hands through impact, feel dead hands and more rotation. Start with a 9 iron going 100 yards not only will you control spin you will also learn how to control the club face through impact.

Okay kids, spin...it's super simple to hit little spinners that stop and check, and you just need to have some checkpoints to go through and good SetUp. Keep in mind, if you're trying to hit a shot that stops and checks on an approach where the green slopes away from you, it's not gonna happen, and if the green is sloping towards you, this shot is much easier.

Spin happens because we:
  1. Add loft, either through the club selection or
  2. We hit down on the ball and have a steeper angle of attack, or
  3. We have an out-to-in path or cut across the ball, or
  4. All 3 👆🏻
To take spin off a shot, do the opposite of 👆: De-loft, move the ball up in your stance, get path more in-to-out using a different setup.

HOW TO? This is pretty straight forward; we will have a bunch videos on this in our Program when we launch, so stay tuned. 😉 Until that glorious launch, try this...
  • SetUp square or open (see #3 above) with your weight fudging left. 60% or so
  • Ball Center to slightly forward, depending on how high you want to hit it or get it up. If you have a full wedge, you can put it slightly back to increase angle of attack
  • Take it back along your stance line
    • You either can or cannot hinge your wrists back for a pitch. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you NOT hinge them because that adds an element of complexity you don't need when trying to learn this shot. And it's not as consistent. While hinging your wrists and properly returning the shaft where it started will add angle of attack you don't need it.
  • Rotate to your lead side (left for a leftie, right for righty) using your FEET
  • Return the handle back to where you started (see above: it should be pretty close to straight up and down and in center of your SetUp)
    • DO NOT try to lean the handle forward, or pull the handle down towards the ball. This produces inconsistent contact, exposes the leading edge (by by bounce) and isn't necessary.
  • Keep turning and feel like your chest really opens as you rotate

Great info Matt! Really appreciate it and it explains better than I could what I try to do.

When I need it to have extra spin, I either hit a high cut shot with a higher lofted wedge or I do a back foot 3/4 wedge with a lower lofted club. Its how I was taught years ago and it seems to align with how you described.

Back