How do you decide on your ball?

Price. $$. I find a good ball and look for bargains.

I like a urethane cover. I tried the Srixon Z-stars and love them. So I bought 4 doz. Then I heard that the Q-star Tour is a great ball for someone of my swing speed.... and they're on sale right now. You can buy them on Amazon for $19.99/doz. So I bought two dozen. I want to try them. Why not? I know they're good balls and they'll get used.

I hit a few hundred shots with it observing ball flight, reaction to conditions, and measurable distance. I'm currently doing that right now.

I want a ball that will help me maximize my potential off the tee, but perform well enough in the wind and on tough greens to have my faith. I honestly don't lose enough for price or durability to really enter the equation. Durability would first though. Last year that was prov1. Very early returns, but so far this year the one I didn't want to win out, is. Time will tell.

Ball has to feel right chipping and putting for me and especially needs a somewhat soft feel. I can hit most anything off the tees and fairways, so it is short game that has to be right ball.

Through trail and err. I like to give new balls a test on the course. So I try many different kinds of balls over the given course of the summer. Always come back to the Q-Star or Z-Star as my gamers at some point though.

Performance divided by the price multiplied by the number of balls projected to purchase over the year equals my choice of ball.

Your sounding like Bryson DeChambeau now.

Combination of feel, flight, and performance. In general I like a firm non clicky ball. So off the irons and wedges I'm looking for that feel. Off the putter I want it sound right. With so many options for putters now with inserts and milling depth I think it's doable to find a combo that feels right.

On the sim I'm looking for reasonable numbers that will be playable. Iron spin not too low, no power leak off woods, wedges not launching too high.

On the course is where I really make the decision. Does it fly right. Can I reasonably control the ball. Do my irons fly the right distances and descend correctly. Does the ball come off driver hot and at the right launch angle. Does the ball have the right feel and perfomance on and around the greens.

Right now I like the Bridgestone tour B X and XS. I think I'll be playing one of those balls this year. Dark horse option is srixon zstar XV. TP5x and ProV1x always work if I forgot balls and need a sleeve though they have widely different iron spin.

One thing I'm oddly particular about. I hate a black play number. I prefer some sort of color be it red or blue or green or something else. Not sure where this comes from but I dislike the prov1 and tp5 simply for that...

This is a great question - I enjoy trying several balls each iteration to see which feel and perform the best.

It’s odd, but I will happily give up five yards for a ball that feels better. Some balls I cringe when I hit because I know they will feel like rocks. Feel really makes a ball for me

thats me this year, i ball hop around a few. But this year i wanted to play one ball all year, also changed clubs mid January to a one length set. So one ball, all year and i sorted it out by playing one ball for a round, bought sleeves. I have to know it will do what i wants ON THE COURSE. I chose the Bridgestone TOUR BX. Unless i get picked for the Grandaddy, I will play it through the end of the year.

I'm easy.
Just give me spin and give me a deal. I'm not paying over $40 CAD for my gamer ball.

When I hit my first 75 cent K sig, I knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically I'm a guy who plays whatever is in the bag. I always play tour type balls, urethane covers, 3 piece, etc. but its usually a mix mash of different brands. This year I want to do something different and play the same ball for a whole year. So how do you decide what ball to play? Is it a price thing? Feel? Scoring? etc. Let me know.
I did much the same. What I found was with a certain brand I was having better results. Coincidence? Perhaps. However it keeps happening so I decided to just play it. Oh yeah, I also happen to like it. Srixon.

Price. $$. I find a good ball and look for bargains.

I like a urethane cover. I tried the Srixon Z-stars and love them. So I bought 4 doz. Then I heard that the Q-star Tour is a great ball for someone of my swing speed.... and they're on sale right now. You can buy them on Amazon for $19.99/doz. So I bought two dozen. I want to try them. Why not? I know they're good balls and they'll get used.
Both are great. I don’t mind either one. They are my gamers. You can get em for that price anywhere currently. Actually I’ve bought 10 dozen Z Stars at that price.

1, Feel
2. Performance
3. Price

Like many I have an assortment of balls that I have at any one time.... Range from and include Pro v, Tour Feel, Tour Soft Srixon Q & Z, Chromesoft, Super Soft, TP5, Snell MTB, Bridgestone, Vice etc. etc.... honestly, I probably keep 3-4 brands in my bag at all times and whatever I pull out of the bag without really looking is the ball I play with that particular day. After that first ball comes out of the bag, I make sure I have at least 2 additional balls of the same ball otherwise I will re-select. That way I make sure I'm able to finish a round with the same ball.....

Bought a bunch of the Nike RZN Platinum Practice balls at $7.99/dozen from Dunham’s when they were blowing them out at the end of last season so it’s hard to justify spending more on other balls.

FAD8D869-B53D-434C-B729-5783310428DA.jpeg

I will play the same ball all year. I was playing the Srixon ZStar XV in 2018, because they were a killer deal. I got dozen's for $20 at my pro shop and then I played the ProV1x in 2019.

I will test the ProV1x against both Callaway balls this year. I will most likely play the Callaway ball because I want to be appreciative to them for choosing me for the Grandaddy.
Might as well start now considering you will be playing them in December haha

I know what I like as far as construction. 3 piece, around 70 compression, urethane covered and yellow color. Buy em on sale or when they are on clearance. Loaded up on Q Star Tours last fall ($10/doz.) and have a couple dozen Snell Blacks. Either one works for great for me.

It's all about the green for me. They all go off the face of a driver. How they fly off irons and how they land on greens is the most important to me. I use ProV1's because every single one I have ever hit plays exactly the same. There is no inconsistency even from year to year no matter how often they say they improved them they still play the same which is awesome. Not only that they are by far and away the most durable balls because I buy them used off lostgolfballs.com and I don't even get the mint level and they still perform even though they have already been played, have a nick, whatever. They are IMO the best product on the golf market.

I spent time on my sim, compared all the balls, and also compared them putting.

Reality is, for me, any premium ball works well.

I play the Snell MTB Black because it is cheaper and performs almost as well (just as well, in reality) as Pro V1 or TP5.

So in order for me:

Snell MTB Black
TP5
Pro V1
Pro V1X

I got the most distance out of Vice balls, but I really, really dislike their sound and feel off the putter, so they are not in my bag.

I do have to spend some time with ChromeSoft, as I want to game the triple track putter, but I need to know if I can play the ball well.

I played +25 years with no clue; just a sucker for branding. Then I got a clue on how to putt and I use that as my first test. Does not feel good on putter, then back to the drawing board. Does not have to feel the best off the putter to make it to step 2 but can't fail.

Back