How do you feel about wide open fairways?

How do you do wide open fairways?

• Swing easy and put one down the middle

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • CRUSH IT!

Votes: 52 69.3%

• Total voters

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When you come across a nice wide open fairway with no trouble, do you just swing easy and put one down the middle or get excited and try to pipe one?

This hole gets me every time. I mean there’s two fairways! Surely I can swing out of my shoes and hit one of them! 😆
CECFA9C5-A001-4170-84CE-DB2BBBC3BDE3.jpeg

I'm a "crush it" guy. It's not like my swing easy swing hits many fairways anyway.

Aim for the bunker and let it rip, will probably fade to the right fairway. 😎

Swing hard....just in case the ball gets in the way.

Anytime I think about just crushing it and going after one, I usually have one of my worst drives of the day....still voted that way though :LOL:

The size of the fairway isn't really what determines that for me. It's more the trouble off the fairway, or how good or bad being in the wrong position is gonna be. There are some wide open fairways around here where accuracy means more than a couple places that are much tighter if you actually want a good shot into the green.

If we got paired up with a couple college girls that might, you know, play a minor role in driver flex decision making too. :p

I'm aiming for the right fairway on that ^ one.

Swing easy, I've learned my lesson on this one too many times to try and crush it anymore, it's a trap.

I am really a neither. I make the same swing generally whether it is wide open or tight. That is the swing that gives me the best chance to put one in play.

If there is room for error, I swing away. Errors off the tee are one of my bigger issues so a wider fairway eases my worry so I can swing away.

When there are no issues off the tee, I try to reach back for a little more.

Eh, put a good fast swing on it, and don't try and kill it. I get more out of a drive like that then I do if I try and kill it.

I'll try to go after one a little more but not overswing. Overswinging and losing balance is what causes me to have a bad drive. A lot of times I can still go after one hard as long as I focus on getting through onto my left foot and balanced with my belt facing my target. Sometimes those are my straightest and best drives too. Another key for me is picking a target line like a tree or something. It help me focus instead of just swinging and hoping it lands in a big area.

When it comes to golf fairways, bigger is definitely better.

For me, it just makes it easier to use my driver. Will I swing harder/faster with all the extra room available? No, not really. Even wider fairways have rough, and ob markers.

wide or not, if I am hitting a driver. I am trying to hit it hard.. lol..

As long as there is no water or easy OB to hit into... swing away for me.

Aim at the rough in the middle. If I attempted this strategy I would surely hit one of the fairways.
I always aim straight at that rough in the middle. Haven’t hit it yet!

Same here @NVGOLFER80 . We played a course with massive fairways, many off elevated tees, earlier this month (Payne's Valley). Inspired a ton of confidence off the tee but I normally swing all out with driver anyway so I didn't have an extra gear to go to.

Back