How do you focus when the pressure is on?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
When you are facing a tough putt, or a daunting approach shot, or an opponent on the verge of winning the hole - what do you do to be present in the moment?

I can go one of two ways. If a great song is playing from my playlist, it will help me tune everything out and let things fall off. If not, I generally reflect/remember the quiet comforting times I've been on a beach with just my family around, listening to the sound of the ocean and walking through the edge of the water on the sand. Either way, it really helps tune out the noise of the surroundings and let me focus on striking the ball the best I can

What's your technique?

Try to remember I am not a paid professional. Take a deep breathe and take the shot. What happens, happens.

I focus on grip pressure. If it's too tight then my shoulders and arms are too tense and that is not good. So as long as my grip pressure is light and not a death grip, I know I will be able to get the best results.

I will make sure that the I am focusing on a small target. Find my main target and draw a line straight back to 1 to 2 feet in front of my ball. The smaller the target the smaller the miss.

For a beer or a quarter, there is no pressure. I’m not a Pro or ‘Club’ type. The only pressure that’s tough to overcome is just having fun, and it’s only just a game.

I don't really feel any pressure. Guess it'd be different if I was playing for my livelihood. I just try to remember every shot and why it was good or bad. "You can't lose. You either win, or learn."

I don't remember the last time I ever felt any pressure when playing golf........ Or, if I ever did.

My pre-shot routine takes care of any pressure situations.

Prior involvement in some really serious pressure packed situations makes anything I ever run into playing golf pretty trivial

Try to clear my head, focus on the shot and breathe. When I remember to do this, works pretty well for me. I can get in my own head though and eff things up pretty easily.

Narrow my focus onto something small, let the rest just happen.

I just play my game. Setup thesame, don't over think it and just trust that the body knows what to do. Once you deviate from the norm or overthink it....you're dead. That;s why pre-shot routines are good. Block out the thoughts and just go at it like you normally would.

Back