How do you get to be a better ball striker?

I think it’s specific practice. I did not make big improvements until I practiced hitting the ball purposely toe, heel, and middle of the face. Starting at slow speed then working up to full speed will make a big difference.

Pay very close attention to ball position in your setup. Just 1/2" change can make big differences in quality of strike and ball flight.

Start young, take lessons, play a lot. Practice short game alot for hand eye coordination. Continue to take some lessons every year. Don’t get caught up in numbers and video.

Creating a repeatable low point in my swing has helped me.
I think another thing that goes hand in hand with this is ball position. You can hit the same low point 100x in a row, but if the ball isn't in the correct spot you can still miss. Consistent setup is every bit as important as a consistent swing.

I think another thing that goes hand in hand with this is ball position. You can hit the same low point 100x in a row, but if the ball isn't in the correct spot you can still miss. Consistent setup is every bit as important as a consistent swing.
Yep, 1000% agree. A major fault of mine is that I let ball position slowly creep forward until I'm at the point of either topping the ball or flaring everything out right.

for me… it’s enough reps Abd scar tissue that when I finally got good coaching….im improving.

Does that mean I’m a good ball striker…nope. Just trending.

I wish I knew. I feel like I used to be a decent ball striker but it has completely left me. I’m struggling so bad the last 10 rounds or so. The only thing saving me is a decent short game. When I can talk myself into just swinging hard and get down through the ball and don’t worry about how big a divot I’m taking I can still hit it ok. But lately, without intending to, I feel like I’m subconsciously trying to shallow out and guide the ball and it’s resulting it these awful, thin, push cuts. I hate it.

In Hogan’s book. He said he would spend morning until dusk on the range. Do that for a while and I guarantee you, you will have figured out your ball, striking

Back