How do you get your golf fix mid-winter?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
I exited golf pretty well this fall. After my most enthusiastic year in golf, I was amazed how well I was able to end my season in late August. Yes, I know, late August, that's pretty early. My wife had our first kid, which is also why I ended the season without any major withdrawal symptoms.

But now, it's January, the PGA season has started. It's been a little easier on me than past years because I have a renewed fondness for NCAA basketball, thanks mostly to the Hawkeyes being respectable and occasionally competitive. But this week is the Waste Management Open, and that crazy stadium hole. I know from prior years that this is when the 'winter blues' really hit me as far as being generally unable to golf.

Of course, as I told my wife, with the mild winter we've had here in Iowa, particularly southern Iowa, I could have been playing golf this whole time at least on average once per week. Still, watching golf kills my morale in the winter. It leads to me checking out prices of golf equipment, washing my clubs, putting in the living room, etc.

So my question to you THP, what do you do to get your golf fix in when the golf bug hits you mid-winter?

~Rock

Luckily I have been able to play. I've played 5 of the last 6 days and I am playing again today.

I just come here! I have not played since the end of October. That is normal for me here in Indiana. I have other hobbies in the winter. I'm ready to play, but I know it will not happen until early April, so I just do other stuff. I've done some club repair stuff for a few guys and worked over a few putters, so that is my winter fix.

I drive a couple miles down the road and knock out a quick 27 holes of golf. :golf2: I really feel for you guys/gals who are put out of business during the winter months. I honestly believe if I lived in a snowy region, my plans would be to move to a warmer climate asap.

I managed to get in some lucky but fluky rounds in earlier this month. Otherwise, a lot of dome time and working out.

Alex

Living vicariously through others also helps.

I just come here! I have not played since the end of October. That is normal for me here in Indiana. I have other hobbies in the winter. I'm ready to play, but I know it will not happen until early April, so I just do other stuff. I've done some club repair stuff for a few guys and worked over a few putters, so that is my winter fix.

What he said. I tend to visit THP more frequently during the winters. Beside that I have indoor training 1-2 times a week until the courses open in mid April again. Better than nothing but I really really want to play 18 holes right now..

Tappin' for world peace!

It's all about timing here as the weather has been so mild, yet cold snaps keep coming in and out. Luckily I've been able to play most of the winter and as long as the weather stay's nice on the weekend and day's off I'll continue that. I practice my putting some inside and have continued some swing drills, beyond that it's all THP, TGC and YouTube.

I hit the ball at indoor facilities and putt/chip in my basement. Neither really work to scratch the itch though. I'm generally crabby and bummed out most of the winter.

I signed up for an indoor/sim league this winter. First time joining a league to do so. It's not the same, but it gets me out swinging the clubs at least once a week.

I hit the ball at indoor facilities and putt/chip in my basement. Neither really work to scratch the itch though. I'm generally crabby and bummed out most of the winter.

Maybe you should move to a snowbird country and play all year long? :)

But I know the feeling, sucks not to be able to play long periods of the year.

Tappin' for world peace!

its difficult where i live as the weather is so unpredictable. Last winter the snow was outrageous and this year its snowed for a out a day then was gone as soon as it came but the problem we have is the ground is so wet most courses will not let you on them! I try to go to the range but it can be windy and a waste of time so my fix is reading posts!

I usually spend a lot of my free time hunting from early October till the end of February, but with the mild weather we've had lately, I've managed to sneak out to the course a couple of times.
If it wasn't for working on the land that my wife and I bought for a future home site, then I'd be on the course more than what I have been. Dang priorities! Haha.

Btw, nice to see you, McRock!

Rarely are we unable to play golf for even a week straight, so I really feel for those who have weather that keeps them off of the course for months.

I live in Alabama. The high today is 65*, tomorrow it's 69*. We have cold days, but not consistently so. So I get my fix by playing golf or hitting the range. If it's cold, then I'll practice with some practice balls in the house (much to the ire of my wife).

I play any time it gets unseasonable warm like it has been and like it will be tomorrow and or I take lessons.

Yea, I should probably point out that my closest indoor facility is 90 minutes away. Not exactly a quick trip. Perhaps someday, I will return to 'civilization.' Oh well, I suspect I'll spend some time swinging some clubs at GG this weekend. Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me head to the indoor range in DM while were up there.

Good to see you too Hawk!

Spend more time here, work on my clubs/restrain myself from buying more and hit a bunch of putts on my birdieball mat! We have a dome, but it's shared with soccer and paintball so availability and price is an issue so I usually only start going late Feb, early March.

The nice thing about living in Texas is that you don't miss too many days of golf because of bad weather, we lose a few but not many.

Simulator golf, indoor putting green, watching a lot of Golf Channel and browsing THP, and lots of practice swings in my apartment. The carpet in our guest bedroomi s taking a beating this winter! I'm working on more knee flex in my setup and leaning over a little more from the waist in my setup as well, it's pretty easy to work on that while inside.

I live in Alabama. The high today is 65*, tomorrow it's 69*. We have cold days, but not consistently so. So I get my fix by playing golf or hitting the range. If it's cold, then I'll practice with some practice balls in the house (much to the ire of my wife).

I love Alabama. The older I get, the more I hate winter in Indiana. The wife and I are less than 9 years from retirement as is my brother in law and his wife. We have been talking more and more about where we plan to live when we are done working. Bama is for sure on our short list.

I haven't played since Oct. And my home course was still recovering from the extremely wet summer and Hurricane Irene.

We have had a mild winter, but when it's nice outside, I'm usually working. I DID get to the range Sat. for a bucket, but I usually have to wait until April or so. :angry:

havent played as much as I could have, usually go down to golf galaxy and at least hit some balls

Yeah Hoosier the weather here is nice when it's not trying to kill you (tornados)...lol.

I get my winter golf fix my going to the heated driving range, putting on my living room carpet, watching The Golf Channel and playing TW '12 on PS3.

Back