How do you golf lesson?

How often do you get golf lessons?

• Never - homegrown and self-taught

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Regularly - always looking to improve

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Occasionally just to check in

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Emergency only - help, my swing has fallen and it can’t get up!

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you self taught? Regular sessions with an instructor? Or maybe just the emergency lesson after too many run-ins with el hosel?

I voted regularly but, that has been only 4 lessons in the 2 years I've been playing. First year was a 3 lesson package just to try and ingrain the basics, this year so far it has just been 1 with more to come in prep for the Morgan Cup.

I voted regularly but, that has been only 4 lessons in the 2 years I've been playing. First year was a 3 lesson package just to try and ingrain the basics, this year so far it has just been 1 with more to come in prep for the Morgan Cup.

You have moved from never having played to a 10 handicap in 2 years with only 4 lessons? That is quite impressive.

I have gone to 4 lessons in the last couple of months. Probably should have spaced them out a bit more. I need some time to let it sink in now and kind of make it my own.

I used to be emergency only, but I got a lesson at the end of last season so I had some points to focus on during the long winter swinging in the garage. I’m considering moving from occasional to some sort of regular lesson schedule to improve my game.

You have moved from never having played to a 10 handicap in 2 years with only 4 lessons? That is quite impressive.
I can thank my BIL for a lot of it, he got me playing and every time out with him when I'm in LA is a great playing lesson. The other big thing is I really enjoy short game practice, I think nothing of going to the range and hitting 200 balls with only short irons and wedges.

I took a series of lessons when I started playing 35 years ago. Since then I’ve had nothing but a couple quick informal sessions with our club pro. When I have an “emergency”, I just play through it and try to work it out myself.

One of the guys in my regular group isn’t a certified instructor or anything, but he’s a good set of eyes and has offered me some thoughts when I’m struggling that have been a huge help.

All of the above and then some? Probably depends on how you define a lesson. I was taught some I suppose, and have taken some lessons, but not in a long time. I do chop up ideas and bounce things off trusted friends and instructors a lot though, in my way, and am constantly working on honing, correcting, or incorporating certain things. I don't formal lesson though.

Self taught, but took two lessons in my life. One great 30 minute lesson to to work out the sh**ks, and a one-day Father's Day present group lesson (which turned out to be a BIG waste of time and money as the instructor spent all his time on a couple of beginners, and no time with anyone who had some experience.)

Every lesson I've had -- including a full week at a John Jacobs Golf School, way back when -- has zeroed in on the same two fundamentals with which I can get sloppy: the need to feel a more closed (but actually neutral) clubface on the takeaway, and a lateral bump/swing down first move on the downswing transition. Those are the two things that most easily get out of whack for me. So, naturally, I can now self-diagnose those flaws and watch closely for them to rear their ugly heads. Then I know the drills to correct them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I’ve been taken lessons now for over a year.

i'm trying to get in regularly with the instructor i felt helped me the best (i've tried 3) but he's not available on weekends...he's got assistant instructors but i'm the type of person where once i have something locked in (i.e. with a barber...or dancer...oh wait...wrong forum) i am resistant to change...

Pretty regularly for me. Started off this year about every other week. That changed a bit with some weather issues and such. Trying to get back to pretty close to that soon. Depends on this shoulder as I had planned to take one this week but now leaning towards after I see the ortho doc.

I do think you need time for practice between lessons. If you can’t get out to practice much then 2 weeks may be too short a span between but if you practice quite a bit then it can be fine.

When I was taking lessons, it was on a regular basis. At least once a month for several years. Unfortunately my swing instructor of many years passed away.

I strongly feel multiple, continued lessons is the only way to go. I voted accordingly.

These days, I know what to look for when my swing goes south on me. It's more of a "self fix" than a "self taught" for me.

Voted regularly as that is my plan. I tried early last year and had very fragmented group lessons (5 in all) that really did nothing for me. I've just had my 2nd solo lesson and have gotten more out of those so far than all the previous ones. These lessons are also with a new instructor that I am finding just better over all. I have another lesson with him in two weeks time and will have played at least five rounds in between so will be able to give feedback on what has worked for me.

In the first 20 minutes of my first lesson, he corrected my grip and even though it felt weird as hell, I'm now getting used to it and seeing results already. I'm also working on tempo which is helping a lot. Discovered my watch (S62) has an app for it built in so I've also been using that.

I'm using them at the moment as a bit of a tune-up. I know exactly what my miss is and the reasoning behind it, so is just a case of grinding at the range until it becomes natural. Sometimes things go a bit off and my game falls over a cliff, so when that happens I'll schedule half an hour with my instructor just to get me nudged back on track. Planning a couple of short game and putting lessons over the next couple of months as well to try and pull everything together again.

19 hcp play approx every 3-4 weeks , now if l got time to play twice weekly who knows what level of improvement may be achievable , l would offer significant drop in strokes )

l know where and how my swing breaks down , if the fundamentals are correct then it’s fun mentally 😃😃 ( copyrighted and licensed ) 🥲😏otherwise golf can be a 18 hole self examination of physical abuse, and lottery of s***s wondering when will l find a winner ...

That said , only takes one shot pure to make you smile and think it’s all worth it and theres , more in store

I went through a period of regular lessons every 5-6 weeks a few years ago, but in the last couple years I have only had a couple of lessons when I can't see what is going on

Last couple of lessons I had last year was because I had absolutely zero clue as to where the ball was going off the tee, so scheduled a lesson with the pro at my club, and within a couple swings he could see exactly why I was struggling as bad as I was - a few tweaks to setup, ball position and shortening my swing saw me move my driver path by 10° from the start of the lesson to the end, and consequently I saw the strike pattern and ball flight improve massively
A by-product of the lesson showed up that my driver is no longer optimal, but as yet, I still haven't got round to doing anything about it, so have to make a conscious decision to slow my swing down to get the best out of it, otherwise I spin the ball way too much - although now that the fitting place I used is able to do outdoor fittings I may have to schedule one soon

Regularly at the point, trying to make some decent size changes. Usually though, it was an emergency room visit.

I tried to do homegrown for about a year, though I had wanted to do lessons. It finally worked out for me to do a four-lesson clinic to get the basics down. My first lesson was yesterday and I can already see a big improvement.

I started playing when I was probably 11 years old, and played on the golf team in high school. Golf was always my 3rd sport after baseball and basketball, so I never focused much on my game. Played baseball in college & only played golf periodically in the summer. Since graduating, golf has moved into the sport I play most. And now after 15+ years of never getting a lesson, I got my first one a couple weeks ago.

i started playing about 20 years ago. i took some lessons to start out, then built my own janky swing over the next 6 or 7 years. i took a handful of lessons that went ok, then another 5 or 6 years passed and took some lessons from a guy who was more of a system guy. a lot of that stuff is still in my swing and i'm still trying to undo it. again about 6 years later in 2019 i took a handful of lessons that put me in some bad positions, and beginning 2020 and carrying into today i'm with a guy who finally has me on track. i see him every 2-3 weeks, though in hindsight we probably should have worked together multiple times per week. i think i would be a lot further along than i am now. that said, things are finally clicking.

Mostly homegrown, had a regular lesson package going until Covid hit. Now, nothing. I'm always thinking about it, though.

Self taught and in almost 60 years of playing I have a couple of lessons to help with a specific problem. It has been 20 years since I had one and that one did not work and the pro did not charge me for it because of that. He did give me a book what he thought would help me and it did work. Unfortunately I lost it in a fire last year. Every time I had a small problem I went to that book to reinforce what I need to do in my setup and take away. My problem now is because of a faulty memory I don't remember the name of the book. :sick:

I tried self taught and just dug myself a deeper hole to get out of. Tried a couple different methods 1: weekend golf school, saw great results quickly, but after a month or 2, old habits crept in. 2: find an instructor and stick with them long term. This took me 3 tries to find what I think is the right situation.

Currently I am taking a lesson every other week and then in between have a practice schedule at the same facility. This place is indoors, has a GC Quad at each spot and DTL/Face on cameras so can get good feedback every time I step in there. Has helped me go from a 12-13 handicap down to an 8 currently. Ideally would get the swing to a place where I don't need twice monthly lessons but not sure when that will be.... hopefully sooner rather than later.

Back