Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Steamed

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Straight out of the bag

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
I think this is dependent on the kind of burger you're making. Some might demand a toasted bun but some benefit from a steamed bun.

I prefer toasted, but I'll do straight out of the bag sometimes too.

I think this is dependent on the kind of burger you're making. Some might demand a toasted bun but some benefit from a steamed bun.

I tend to agree. If you have something juicy on that burger, like a slice of tomato, toasting can be a good thing. I don't think I've ever had a burger that was dry enough to benefit from a steamed bun.

I tend to agree. If you have something juicy on that burger, like a slice of tomato, toasting can be a good thing. I don't think I've ever had a burger that was dry enough to benefit from a steamed bun.
Some buns naturally get steamed (see 5 guys) and they tend to lose integrity rapidly.
However, I think steaming comes in different states of intensity - see the Oklahoma onion smashburger where the bun gets placed over the patty in its final cooking stage to steam a bit and that comes out awesome. Same as white castle sliders, also awesome.

But a burger with an egg or guac or a full garden - probably going to go with toasted.

Toasted lightly. Don't think i ever had them steamed to be honest.. oh and potato rolls ftw

Some buns naturally get steamed (see 5 guys) and they tend to lose integrity rapidly.
However, I think steaming comes in different states of intensity - see the Oklahoma onion smashburger where the bun gets placed over the patty in its final cooking stage to steam a bit and that comes out awesome. Same as white castle sliders, also awesome.

But a burger with an egg or guac or a full garden - probably going to go with toasted.
Oklahoma onion burger + steamed bun :love:

Like them steamed but always have them straight out of the bag. Not much for toasted.

Put toasted but for me it's all about buttered and grilled!

Never had White Castle (none in my area), and I think there might be two 5 Guys here, and I've never had their burgers, although I hear they are awesome. Is the Okie onion smash one of theirs? And you're right, with something really juicy, a vapor barrier comes in handy!

I like potato rolls for all my sandwiches, hamburgers, and hotdogs. Give me a super fresh Martin’s potato roll.

Kaiser roll buttered on a flat top

Never had White Castle (none in my area), and I think there might be two 5 Guys here, and I've never had their burgers, although I hear they are awesome. Is the Okie onion smash one of theirs? And you're right, with something really juicy, a vapor barrier comes in handy!
5 Guys are probably my favourite $10-15 (Canadian Dollars) commercially available burger. They're great, but you have to eat them quickly as they wrap them up tight hot off the cooker so the buns steam and turn to mush quickly - especially if you are over zealous with toppings like I can be at times.

Oklahoma Smash is one of the classic styles of America, same as White Castle. I learned about them through George Motz:

Toasted. But really I wouldn't complain as long as the filling was good.

Our go-to burger recipe calls for focaccia bread brushed with rosemary butter and grilled.

Toasted, but only lightly.

Our go-to burger recipe calls for focaccia bread brushed with rosemary butter and grilled.
I'd be interested in the entire receipe for this one. Sounds great!

I like them toasted in a skillet with butter when I make them at home.

I’ll eat them anyway, but toasted is my choice generally. especially if I’m grilling my burger.

To me it HAS to be toasted. It is the best way to support any/all sauces and other condiments you place on the bun.

An untoasted bun is a sad bun.

I have learned that toasted buns are easier to spread roasted garlic on.

Back