How do you make golf fun?

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Beyond the inherent enjoyment of playing, how do you make golf fun for you and for your playing partners?

I am irrationally optimistic on the golf course. I love building myself up to make a shot and doing the same for my playing partners.

Humor is something I am big on. Observational, self deprecating, and the like. It helps me relax, and generally to put my playing partners in a more lighthearted mood.

I also typically choose to play with people that have a good attitude, the right attitude, that this is a game and meant to be played for fun. We’re not on tour, this isn’t our livelihood. We pay to play this game, and I’m going to enjoy it. Usually that means banter, jokes, and having some smiles.

I try to make sure the others know when they hit a good shot and if they get down I try to get them back into the game.

Music, trash talking and self-deprecating humour.

Mostly when playing, not worrying about how I'm playing, while at the same time not thinking about what the other(s) are doing.

Golf is a game. Games are supposed to be fun.

When playing with family/friends, we add a few items of gamesmanship into our round to increase the fun part. Talking smack is encouraged, as are exploding golf balls.

Humor, encouragement, and not having a hissy fit when I'm having a bad shot/hole/round.

A bad day on the course is better than most good days anywhere else.

Slowing down to enjoy nature, relive the good shots, and some light hearted joking. Just make it a time that is devoid of distractions from anything off the course too.

I am Uber competitive, so I find golfing to be fun by competing against myself or others. Plus, I have fun just enjoying people and talking during the round. A little trash talking is good.

Humor/trash talk and lots of camaraderie. We have a lot of fun with each other (and sometimes at each others’ expense), but we also congratulate each other on good shots and keep it positive out there.

Slowing down to enjoy nature, relive the good shots, and some light hearted joking. Just make it a time that is devoid of distractions from anything off the course too.
Absolutely nail on the head here for me. It’s a way to enjoy being out on the course, doing something that you love while spending time with people you want.

Absolutely nail on the head here for me. It’s a way to enjoy being out on the course, doing something that you love while spending time with people you want.
So true. It's why I'm trying to get my boys into golf so hopefully down the road it's something we can do. Spending a few hours on the course, just us 3, sounds incredible.

He’s talking about nature that won’t eat you or stomp you to a bloody pulp, lol.

I try to keep the pre-round excitement going no matter if it’s a 70 or a 90+. It’s supposed to be fun. Yes I’ll get frustrated sometimes but it’s supposed to be fun. If I stop having fun most of the time I’ll find something else to do.

So true. It's why I'm trying to get my boys into golf so hopefully down the road it's something we can do. Spending a few hours on the course, just us 3, sounds incredible.

I’ve got 3 boys and we’ve spent MANY days on the course together. I don’t know how many more times we’ll be a 4-some as a couple have lost their interest, but I enjoyed every second of our time out there together. 2017 the 4 of us logged about 50 rounds. Last year, 1.

Get them going, you won’t regret it, and it’ll be gone before you know it. Don’t worry about their play, have them play scramble format with you until they have their own game. Once they do, be prepared. You’ll be beat. The first time you’ll say “I had a bad day”.

Yeah, my middle son kicks my butt most times. I have to be almost even to have a prayer. He’s never gone low yet,-he’s been right there but just didn’t have it to convert- but can be counted on to be right around par. I’ve beat him 27/45 holes, my best rate in a LONG time, lol.

Point... get them out there and enjoy the hell out of every round.

Not making it overly serious. My typical foursome, we have been friends for our whole lives so we can get competitive but the key is to still make it fun for us all. It is typically a close match between three of us but something to keep in mind always is that we are there to have fun.

Some of my favourite summertime memories are when we went to the course as a family.

He’s talking about nature that won’t eat you or stomp you to a bloody pulp, lol.

I try to keep the pre-round excitement going no matter if it’s a 70 or a 90+. It’s supposed to be fun. Yes I’ll get frustrated sometimes but it’s supposed to be fun. If I stop having fun most of the time I’ll find something else to do.
Completely agree!

My regular crew is always bantering back and forth. About sports, life or golf. Or just dumb shite that one of us has done in our life.

Music, laughing at the bad shots (especially my own), and just not taking it all that serious.

Played for too many years, not having enough fun, and I will be damned if I play another round that I don't have a great time.

Back