How do you play 'long' bunker shots?

For the shot that Harry was hitting, I would use my PW and open it some.
Greenside bunkers I usually use the 60* and use progressively longer clubs, the longer the shot.

I'm at the gym watching golf stuff and this just started playing next after another video. And it has me curious. How would you have approached this shot?

What about the second time?

The third?

If you don't watch it, just tell me what your general approach to a long uphill greenside-ish bunker shot is. What club? Square, open, wide open? Wide stance? Narrow picky? Out to the side? No wrong answers.

at least once...

I have a Smart Sole GW that seems almost tailor made for this shot. 50* and a crazy amount of effective bounce.

I'm just lining up square, square club face, 1/2 swing aimed right behind the ball.

I should have asked what excuses too. You going with the typical 'just too much sand' and 'not enough club', or stretching your creative legs a bit?
Oh I'm not making excuses. The first will be a larger swing than I would normally take in the bunker, and as a result of the weight shift I will catch it a little heavy on the downswing, moving it forward but not getting it out of the bunker. With the higher lofted wedge I'm going to probably bounce the club off the sand into the back of the ball, which will cause it to roll forward, hit the lip and then roll back. The third time is always the charm, so that's when I'll finally succeed.

No excuses, just the likeliest outcome for me when attempting a long bunker shot.

Back