How do you restrain yourself from buying another golf item?

My issue is I think I like testing gear more than I like to golf. So that gets me.

Ha, I have several years of no restraint. I did start tracking all golf costs, broken down into subcategories. Last year was the first time I ever stayed in budget. Hoping to stay within a reduced budget this year, which will be tough...
Do not follow this guys lead.

Run it by my wife. That'll end it.

It’s a matter of setting a budget and having the self discipline to stick to it. For example, this year, I have committed not to put any new money into equipment. I can only spend the funds that come from the sale of existing equipment. I believe that I can stay disciplined.

Tune back in in 6 months... 😂

Easily done.....I use common sense.

i don't

My wife is a Cricut and crafting maniac. I sneakily keep track of her costs and then confront her with her expenditures if I would like to have something for my golf hobby. Sometimes it works; sometimes I have to take care of my nosebleed.

It is definitely not easy at first, especially with the inherent THP enabling effect. Haha.
You got that right! Latest club purchase was influenced by a give-away. Next one might be, too.

It gets earlier when you run out of room to put stuff like I have.
TBH: That's as much a show-stopper for me, right now, as the financial concerns. I get into hobbies. I buy stuff. I drop hobbies. I keep the stuff. I gotta stop either acquiring stuff or keeping it after I no longer need it.

My issue is I think I like testing gear more than I like to golf. So that gets me.
I feel ya, brother. I have the exact same problem. "Hmmm... I wonder...? Well, only one way to find out!" Ka-ching!

Run it by my wife. That'll end it.
That used to be a pretty reliable method for me, too. For some odd reason it's not so much, anymore. E.g.: When I saw the ACH transfer for the latest stimulus thing I jokingly said to my wife "Looks like I'm going to have to buy another club." She just looked at me and shook her head like "You're hopeless."

Easily done.....I use common sense.
o/~ Every party needs a pooper, that's why we invited you o/~ :ROFLMAO:

Have your spouse review all purchases and credit card statements.

Look at my golf equipment bank balance (non existent), usually stops me

I was hoping to take notes on all the wisdom in this thread, but I already do the most effective one - tell the wife about it. :LOL:

I usually can't!! :LOL:

Well I just found my new restraint. Apparently we are doing some improvements to the house. So my golf purchases will have to wait 😢

I'd rather play than get equipment. But I'm slow to buy anything major- tv vehicle furniture etc.

I’ve been wanting a new GPS watch for a few months. The season is over and I wouldn’t be able to actually use the watch for at least 3 more months. I’m betting new models will be out soon which are more than likely to offer either more features or a lower price or both. My common sense tells me I’ve not to thing to lose by waiting a few months to see what happens but it’s still hard to wait

Lack of room is probably the biggest deterrent for me. Followed by "need" as opposed to "want", then price. I have pretty much turned over my whole bag in the last 12 to 18 months. So with the exception of maybe 1 more spot in the bag I should be good for a few years. "Should be" is the key phrase.

The reality is, if you hang around here it is nearly impossible to NOT find a reason to buy something.

I do not play golf at the moment but hope to start taking lessons in March. In the meantime I have bought a putter, a putting mat, a set of golf balls, a 7 iron and then yesterday a golf bag (all second hand, except the mat, and well within budget). They all can be justified to a certain extent but I am now starting to think that I really need to stop until I actually start playing.

I imagine it's quite easy to get carried away, so how do you stop yourself from buying that next item that caught your eye even though you really don't need it?
A quick glance at my account balance usually does the trick. 🤷‍♂️

I'm really good at rationalizing my golf purchases. Plus I love to try out new things - ergo I have no self restraint.

I just go buy something fishing related. because I’m a problem solver

Wait a minute, restraint is an option?

Pretty simple for me. If I don't have the disposable income to buy - I don't. If I do, I buy and I don't think twice or attempt to justify it.

Back