How do you tee off on holes with dog legs?

Lmart009

Reaction score
Handicap
I personally do not have a huge issue with this, but I expect to when I start hitting something longer than a 7i off of the tee. With the 7i I aim for the fairway at the bend and go into the hole knowing that I will have a longer approach to the green.

I am interested to hear how other THP members play holes with dog legs. Do you have a preference to the bend going left or right?

I think I will always prefer a dogleg right but don't mind a left one also. Club choice always comes to what will leave me the best shot into the green and I know it will be around the bend.

Depends on distance and shape, I love cutting the corner when the dogleg matches my shot shape. I will though layup if the risk/reward is not there.

All depends on risk of the miss. I have no issues with a right or left shot. It's easier for me to hit a fade than a small draw, but if the risk is to much, then I'll hit to the corner and play from there.

I play for my miss. Which is normally a power fade. roughly 30 yards. Not a slice by any means. I try not to take risks on the course. So I will play to the corner and go from there.

If I can get to the turn without blocking myself out I will hug the short route otherwise I take the long way home

All depends on how far up the dogleg is, most of the time I use a club that gets me to the corner. Unless it fits my normal fade, then I'll go after it with a longer club.

Depends on the hole. If it fits my shape that day or I can cut a corner by going over, I'll think about it. Otherwise I'll just play around. Has to be a pretty forgiving setup for me to get aggressive with it though.

Depends on how far to the dogleg, how long the hole is, if there is any trouble in play. What side of the fairway I want to be on.

I prefer DLs and forced carries. If I can go over the top, I do.

On the front 9 of my local course (Stumpy Lake) holes with dog legs that turn left bend around 150 yards from the tee box. However, on hole 5 there is a bend to the right about 100 yards out and it leaves me way to far out on my second shot.

Attachments

• 2016-07-30 Stumpy_Hole5.jpg
    2016-07-30 Stumpy_Hole5.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2016-07-30 Stumpy_Hole1.jpg
    2016-07-30 Stumpy_Hole1.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • 2016-07-30 Stumpy_Hole4.jpg
    2016-07-30 Stumpy_Hole4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
On the front 9 of my local course (Stumpy Lake) holes with dog legs that turn left bend around 150 yards from the tee box. However, on hole 5 there is a bend to the right about 100 yards out and it leaves me way to far out on my second shot.

Played there (twice I think). Believe I drew a FW around #1. Is #5 the one where you can cut it off if you hit it through a gap in the trees?

depends on carry distance, but also peak height and how far i have to carry at that height. i don't mind trying to hit a draw or a cut if the reward is worth it.

I can easily fade or slice a ball around a right dog leg. If I have to slice it around the right dog leg then I have to start out by aiming my drive to the left. Since I haven't mastered a draw or hook then the dog leg lefts leave me with simply driving the ball straight

Played there (twice I think). Believe I drew a FW around #1. Is #5 the one where you can cut it off if you hit it through a gap in the trees?

Depending on the time of year, you can try to cut the gap in the trees!

DL left if I can't go over it I'll go for middle of bend. DL right I just play my fade with appropriate club.

If you can't make it, go for the straight away shot. If you can't make it unless you absolutely catch it dead perfect, go for the straight away shot. If you can make it and the reward outweighs the risk, hit and hope lol

Most of the doglegs I see though have trees or water in play. Most of the time it's just not worth the risk unless it's absurdly short in relation to playing it straight away.

Depends if i can cut the corner and how far it is until the fairway turns

I typically try to give myself the best angle for my second shot and put a premium on an accurate shot instead of trying to cut a corner.

Usually poorly...

First tip, make sure the dog is dead. They get pretty upset otherwise.

The only thing I don't do is go up and over. I've come close to hitting a few people thinking it was clear. As much fun as it is it's not worth it.

Over the top or just the club that is optimal distance to have a clear shot. I hate counting on having to work the ball one way as my miss always seems to be straight.

Assess the dog leg carry.

Convince myself I can make it.

Go for it.

It depends on the next shot requirement. Long enough to clear the corner, long enough to get to the far side of the fairway if that's the best angle in.

Back