How do you think about lofts when you buy new irons?

Honestly, I've never thought about them at all. That's just one part of the equation - the only thing I was concerned with when I did my tests earlier in the year (which I didn't end up buying for a variety of reasons) was ability to get a good ball strike and get the ball moving in the proper direction without TOO much disparity.

Lofts may come up in the future as a part to the whole, but I doubt it'll ever be a primary consideration within reason. If the lofts are to gappy - that could be a problem but I can't imagine a set being either so top or bottom heavy it would really impact me.

Having previously thought about super strong lofts as being a negative, I learned that once you go into a swing bay and start bashing clubs, that goes out the window unless all of a sudden your carry distance jumps 30y and it just doesn't work anymore for your bag.

I agree with what most are saying. Loft is not a consideration. When I was fit, they found the best for me iron head and shaft combo to provide maximum ball speed retention on my varied hits. and then used the shaft selection/build to maximize peak hight and launch angle. Once that was all set, then the fitter looked at my distance and wedges, to suggest that we weaken the loft a degree to help with peak hight, spin, and matching up to wedges.

Not much of a factor. I am more concerned with spin and carry distance.

Lofts mean nothing to me. I just want a set of irons that launch where I want and gap well. They could label them with letters and I wouldn’t care.

I first make sure the top end of the bag gaps well with my 5W and 4H and then look at lofts honestly....

I always think about the loft on the LW - open the 58 slightly more than the 60 so I can do this one day.

Not an issue with me. More concerned with ball flight, spin, and yardage. Loft is only a small piece of the puzzle.

Really not interested in Loft other than as long as the ball flies the proper height and distance for each iron, if not then I plan on bending them to my will :)

I don't think about lofts at all as far as the number on the club is concerned. I do try to think about them in spacing.

Back