How do you travel with your clubs?

For those of you concerned about traveling with expensive putters, there IS a way to carry them on board:

Remove the head, check the shaft. Carry on the head in a head cover with a contact lens case (each of the two compartments filled with part 1 and 2 of epoxy.) Then when you get to where you're going just rebuild your club.

I know a few people who do it this way, but I just don't care enough to go through the extra effort. Everything I have is insured.

Wow, that’s some work for a putter. I think I’d just leave it at home and bring one I wasn’t as worried about. For the return flight, they then pull the head again prior to flying?

Soft case. No club glove no screwing off the head basically no preventive anything. And that's with some expensive clubs over the years.

That's about 70 flights with no issues

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hard sided case, whihc has straps for the bag. Soft stuff up top, like a shirt or two or a pair of pants. Has worked well for me.

I take the heads off and use a soft cover with a stiff arm

Recently purchased this soft side bag and flew to Virginia 3 weeks ago.
Added a stiff arm and worked great, no issues

images

no matter what i do, it seems like TSA tases it all out and just dumps it back in

Curious as to how you got them home from the GD? Did you bring your hard case along or were you provided a travel case?

We were given Ogio Travel Bags to get our gear home, I use my Grandaddy Travel bag or a Club Glove that I have...

I have an SKB hard case. It's heavy (19lbs), but it's basically bullet proof. Bonus, it will work for checking firearms and ammunition into your baggage as well. Been there, done that.

We were given Ogio Travel Bags to get our gear home, I use my Grandaddy Travel bag or a Club Glove that I have...
I can imagine they are pretty nice! I am rocking a 20 lb one from around 2002! It will be nice to get a nice one!

I’ve got a Last bag from Club Glove. No problems as of yet. Putting another 4 flights on it this weekend.

I'm not much of a traveler so haven't flown with my clubs yet. I'd be inclined to use Shipsticks, just to avoid the TSA gorillas and all their shenanigans.

I have both. Hard and soft shell.

The Ogio one I got at the grandaddy is by far the best soft shell case I’ve owned. It’s extremely well padded and very durable. That said, unfortunately airlines still don’t cover damage ifclubsbreak in transit so I’m usually bringing them in hard case

Maybe 10+ years ago I bought a Ping soft side bag that collapses down to about 12x12x12 when not in use. The coo thing was the use of "spinners" wheels that allow it to stand up and walk with. Ping no longer offers, but I think tour trek now has it, but I love it for getting thru the airport. I do have to remove the head from driver to fit newer longer drivers . ( 46").
Did lose the cover from the zippered front compartment long time ago (airline abuse), but I didnt use it much anyway.

I have an SKB hard case. It's heavy (19lbs), but it's basically bullet proof. Bonus, it will work for checking firearms and ammunition into your baggage as well. Been there, done that.
I’ve got an SKB hard case as well. Very happy with it. And it comes with extra insurance for your gear.

I’ve got an SKB hard case as well. Very happy with it. And it comes with extra insurance for your gear.

With the way these things are made, I doubt they have to pay out many claims.

With the way these things are made, I doubt they have to pay out many claims.
Agreed! But I’m also okay with that, precisely because of the way they’re made.

Agreed! But I’m also okay with that, precisely because of the way they’re made.

Yeah, the only downside is that mine is 19# alone. I guess that's fine. Just limits my golf bag to 30# and if I can't get everything I need in 30#, then I've got issues.

Yeah, the only downside is that mine is 19# alone. I guess that's fine. Just limits my golf bag to 30# and if I can't get everything I need in 30#, then I've got issues.
That was one of my considerations as well, but to me it came down to not wanting to worry about how things might get handled. I’ll buy balls wherever I’m going if I get close to weight limits.

I have a samsung hard case, I know some swear by a soft case but I prefer the hard case. When possible I use ship sticks, if I can’t do that I feel safe with the airlines since I have a hard case

I had 3 flights to AZ (Sedona + Scottsdale) and FL (Boca) with my clubs just before the COVID stuff started.
I'm traveling with a Sun Mountain Club Glider bag, which was pricey, but has proved to be very durable. I pull the head off my driver and tuck away into a pocket, and wrap the irons in a big beach towel to keep chatter down. That's about it.

Used to use a hard case w/ wheels (SKB) but it was old and STUPID heavy. Switched to a soft side (amazon brand) and it's work well so far (2-3 flights). Both worked well, but he hard case was so heavy it was a pain in the ass and I actually had to be careful what i packed in it to keep it under 50 lbs. The soft case I can back balls, shoes, other misc stuff and keep it well under 50 lbs and much easier to move around.

Just bought this Caddy Daddy CDX-10 with the stiff arm included of Amazon for $85. Hopefully June will be my first time flying with clubs and hoping this will work well.
1589815135105.png

Back