how do you use alignment sticks?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
I have some but so rarely remember to use them.
If I do it's usually just a straight line on the ground to a target.

How do you use them?
How much do you think they help?

What are alignment sticks?:ROFLMAO:

1625165722056.gif

I use mine as a straight line toward the target. Especially helpful in the garage using the SkyTrak. I also use one to hold up my golf selfie stick thing.

I use mine for alignment of the body and feet to a certain target. I also put them in the ground behind me to make sure I am on plane in the backswing.

I am currently trying to incorporate an alignment stick into my chipping practice. I use it as an extension of the shaft. I try not to have the stick hit me on the left side as I complete the swing. It helps keep the wrists out of the swing.

ooo, I meant to get one of those awhile back and forgot. You like it?
It’s pretty awesome! Quick to clip/unclip, and I just stick it on the alignment stick and in my bag. It doesn’t do landscape, but you don’t really need it to.

Ah, for alignment? [Just had to do that.]

Seriously, the most common use is two alignment sticks in parallel on the ground, pointing down the target line. The ones closest to you are to align your feet, so your toes are right up by them. The second is just beyond the toe of your clubhead. They both provide a visual cue for aligning the feet, knees, hips, shoulders and clubhead at address. The intent is to learn to correct for the distortion your eyes tell you about where down the target line is. The eyes lie to you because of the way you stand to the side of the ball.

But there are many other uses for alignment sticks.

You can stick them in the ground behind you and/or in front of you and at an angle to promote the proper backswing and downswing extension and path.

You can stick it in the ground 15-20 feet in front of you and work on shaping draws and fades around it and to a target down range.

You can put them on the ground in an arrangement to work on an inside out swing path or other aspects of your swing arc.

I actually have gotten in the habit of using 3-4 at a time....

1 outside the ball on the ground parallel to target line, 1 inside the ball parallel to target line, then I have been taking one that I can stake into the ground about 15' in front of the target and try to start everything right of it. Finally I have been placing another one either on the line I want to swing on (trying to swing to the right) on the ground, or laying it on top of the inside one on the ground peaking over so I keep my ball position in a good spot. I tend to creep it back to my back toe when I want it closer to my front toe.

2 always stay in the bag as that is where I hang headcovers while the club is in use.

I really should have a couple in the bag as it never hurts to use them on the range. When I do remember to grab them, I use them on the ground for alignment down the target line as that's my largest directional issue.

My two alignment sticks are actually metal yard sticks.

I use them for ball position, and for target/stance orientation.

Being yard sticks, the numbers help as reference points for what ever I'm working on.

I also have a headless driver shaft I stick in the ground. I drape my towel over it when practicing. Also has a sideways "L" thingie that I can stand my club(s) up against. Also supports my spray bottle I clean clubs with. I'm a bit on the lazy side, and hate to bend over to often.

I tend to get narrow in my stance. I have used a permanent marker to indicate the width of my shoulders. So the stick at my foot line give me both direction and serves as a reminder to get width in my stance.

Ah, for alignment? [Just had to do that.]

Seriously, the most common use is two alignment sticks in parallel on the ground, pointing down the target line. The ones closest to you are to align your feet, so your toes are right up by them. The second is just beyond the toe of your clubhead. They both provide a visual cue for aligning the feet, knees, hips, shoulders and clubhead at address. The intent is to learn to correct for the distortion your eyes tell you about where down the target line is. The eyes lie to you because of the way you stand to the side of the ball.

But there are many other uses for alignment sticks.

You can stick them in the ground behind you and/or in front of you and at an angle to promote the proper backswing and downswing extension and path.

You can stick it in the ground 15-20 feet in front of you and work on shaping draws and fades around it and to a target down range.

You can put them on the ground in an arrangement to work on an inside out swing path or other aspects of your swing arc.
If alignment sticks are to be used, they should be aligning along the heels not toes. Most flare the left toes more than right so it will be a wrong indication of alignment to have alignment sticks (Home Depot, $3.00 driveway markers) along toe line. We stand on our legs, which are attached to our feet at the heels(genetic)
Heel alignment tells where we are aligned.

If alignment sticks are to be used, they should be aligning along the heels not toes. Most flare the left toes more than right so it will be a wrong indication of alignment to have alignment sticks (Home Depot, driveway markers) along toe line. We stand on our legs, which are attached to our feet at the heels(genetic)
I keep meaning to try the flare the left foot. Keep forgetting.

Flaring the left foot restricts the BS turn. It does nothing for follow through as most think.
My made up head logic feels like it would help with balance and make it harder to cast.
But I dunno, I grew up almost exactly parallel and I'm still there.

Flaring the left foot restricts the BS turn. It does nothing for follow through as most think.

That really depends upon the person as some are pigeon-toed and some are the opposite. Most are also knock kneed, or bow legged to a certain degree, which is another factor and other variables such as flexibilty also determine how your feet should be aligned for golf at address. Any good golfer knows how to vary stance width/open/closed/right and left toe flare depending upon the shot required.

Few humans are neutral/aligned properly with their feet, ankles, knees, and hips as any competitive skier knows. I've always required canting adjustment on my ski boots(different for the left boot and the right boot) as do about 95% of other competitive skiers.

Many of the golfing greats flared the left(lead) toe towards the target. It absolutely helps my accuracy, distance, and takes stress off my left knee.

Last edited:
If alignment sticks are to be used, they should be aligning along the heels not toes. Most flare the left toes more than right so it will be a wrong indication of alignment to have alignment sticks (Home Depot, $3.00 driveway markers) along toe line. We stand on our legs, which are attached to our feet at the heels(genetic)
Of course, you are correct that if you are a player that flares one foot and not the other or flares or toes in the right and left foot differently you have to account for that when you setup. That's really not hard to do, but you do have to remember to do it. I'm not a fan of putting the second alignment rod behind your heels, nor are most top golf instructors--and I think for good reasons.

First, it's more difficult to set the two alignment rods precisely parallel the further from each other they are. Not impossible, but definitely more difficult. Second, God didn't create us with eyes in the back of our heads. The whole point of using alignment rods this way is to give the player a visual cue to setting up properly aligned, get them used to what that feels and looks like, so that eventually the player can align without these visual cues. By putting the alignment stick behind the heels, you've eliminated one of the visual cues as well as made it virtually impossible for the player to step into their setup as they normally would, which further disrupts the learning process.

There's an argument to say that using alignment sticks is pointless as the ball curves 99.9% of the time and rarely goes exactly straight. If you aim exactly at the target then you are always going to be moving the ball away from it. Better to understand your usual shot shape and aim accordingly.

Then again if you struggle with aiming correctly it does make sure you aren't pointing way off to start with.

A simple imaginary line drawn back from the target to a spot just in front of the ball and the clubhead placed square to it is just as good IMO.

mine mark the driveway so my teen drivers can get out of the driveway without being all over the yard:oops:

the best drill I found for the sticks is to set one on the ground flat about 12 inches behind the ball. As I start my backswing with my left shoulder/arm, I want it to feel like I'm just reaching the club straight back

Back