How Does a $140 Ben Hogan VKTR+ Hybrid Fare?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a bit of testing with the 4 hybrid today in the Tech Studio.

1.jpg

4 Hybrid is 22 degrees with a swing weight of D2

First Up is loft and lie and it came in spot on, which is always a plus.
Swing weight came in at D1.9, so spot on as well.

Took it to the bay and warmed up with a 200 yard pin and my normal 4 hybrid. I'm not terribly long, but go slightly longer than 200, so I wanted to see where this one stood.

Five shots, all with the VKTR+ all carrying with in what I would call pretty darn exceptional considering the loft and my impact locations.

The 1st ball was hit really well, but slightly toe side.
2nd ball was high slightly lower on the face and I left the face open a touch.
3rd ball was hit about as good as I can hit one.
4th ball was similar, but maybe a "groove" low.
5th one I kept in there, because it was a pretty bad miss and yet distance consistency was still right in line.

IMG_3280.PNG

All in all, a pretty darn good club that I am looking forward to spending more time with. For the money, I am not sure there is a better option out there considering it comes in at $140.

The Hogan product is definitely attention grabbing. I cannot see a better value in high quality equipment. Good numbers, too, @JB!

Very nice write up. Loved my Hogan Apex Plus irons from back in the day.

i really enjoyed my time with the vktr

that first toe strike is bringing your spin average way down. remove that and the spin seems to be pretty consistent. how does high 4k low 5k spin compare to other 4h you’ve tested?

• Admin
i really enjoyed my time with the vktr

that first toe strike is bringing your spin average way down. remove that and the spin seems to be pretty consistent. how does high 4k low 5k spin compare to other 4h you’ve tested?

Similar. Although I am not playing a real distance hybrid. When I tested the MAVRIK, it was longer and lower spin, but didn't fit my gaps well. Im constantly on the lookout for that 205 yardage club and the 4 hybrid has been that spot for me for a bit.

I tend to look for right around 4500-5k in that range.

I find I don’t get the distance I expect out of the VKTR+. I love the way it looks and I don’t hook it like I hook most hybrids but I hit it the same distance as my Apex 5i. The loft is 22 on the VKTR+ and my 5i is 23.5 and the shaft on the VKTR+ is longer but they go about the same distance for me.

Been looking at new hybrids. Didn't consider this before, but at that price....wow.

Is it just the angle of that one picture, or is the face closed at address?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Admin
Is it just the angle of that one picture, or is the face closed at address?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Its the angle.

Similar. Although I am not playing a real distance hybrid. When I tested the MAVRIK, it was longer and lower spin, but didn't fit my gaps well. Im constantly on the lookout for that 205 yardage club and the 4 hybrid has been that spot for me for a bit.

i would love 5k spin in a hybrid. kept that thing in the air!

I love the looks of this club, however, I'm afraid to buy another hybrid that I won't hit well (I did have a couple of the original VKTR's). I don't know what it is with me but I just can't seem to find a hybrid that I can hit with confidence, and I've spent a lot of money trying to find one.

That is a nice looking hybrid.

My VKTR hybrids are my favorite clubs!

Is there a chart or source that you use to determine what is considered optimal?
Trackman used to have such a chart. Just wondering if much has changed as far as launch and spin recommendations and whose/which data you use.

for $140 how in the hell could you go wrong when needing to fill a hole in your setup?
this is a no brainer...
but go buy your kirkland hybrid for $159.99..............................................................................................................................................................................

At $140 these seem like a great option if you're looking for an iron replacement. Keeping that price down while still offering real deal shafts is pretty impressive as well. I signed up for an email when a demo is available. Why not?

At $140 these seem like a great option if you're looking for an iron replacement. Keeping that price down while still offering real deal shafts is pretty impressive as well. I signed up for an email when a demo is available. Why not?

I think a lot of people will enjoy this one, partially due to the shaping and looks alone.

For those of you who have never held a Hogan club in your hands. They are not cheap feeling at all. They are not just good for how much you paid, they are as good as anything at twice the price. The forged irons are very well done aesthetically and have great feel and performance.

Awesome content! The Tech Studio is a fantastic addition.

Hogan is bringing it. I can attest to the irons. That hybrid seems like a damned good club at incredible value.

@JB , how, in your opinion do they compare to the original VKTRs, besides the obvious lack of whistling sound? I hit the original with a nice trajectory and straight but just could not get any more distance out of it than I do my 5 iron.

I have been waiting for these, and the UiHi, to hit the demo program.

@JB , how, in your opinion do they compare to the original VKTRs, besides the obvious lack of whistling sound? I hit the original with a nice trajectory and straight but just could not get any more distance out of it than I do my 5 iron.

I have been waiting for these, and the UiHi, to hit the demo program.

Here is an interesting one. They still whistle for me, but only during light practice swings. Not a single instance during a swing.
I think they are not only longer, but more forgiving toe side, which tells me they might benefit a few more golfers.

Those are really good numbers. I love my Ping G310 3hybrid right now...would love to see how those numbers stack up against that club.

Back