How Does a $140 Ben Hogan VKTR+ Hybrid Fare?

Here is an interesting one. They still whistle for me, but only during light practice swings. Not a single instance during a swing.
I think they are not only longer, but more forgiving toe side, which tells me they might benefit a few more golfers.

If the VKTR+ still whistles, what do you think is causing it? The shape? The weight port? I always thought it was the toe side weight port causing the whistle on the previous generation.

Those numbers look great and similar to what I'd hope for. How does it compare to the Apex 19 4h for you in distance, forgiveness, etc?

If the VKTR+ still whistles, what do you think is causing it? The shape? The weight port? I always thought it was the toe side weight port causing the whistle on the previous generation.

Definitely weight port mixed with subtle shaping but no issue during swing. Not a single one, so there is that

How is the draw bias? From the top line view it looks closed. How does it compare to your hybrid @JB

Great review, the pictures of this thing look fantastic. I put a hybrid in at the 4h spot today for the first time this season and reminded my why I like it so much as a rescue option.

Definitely weight port mixed with subtle shaping but no issue during swing. Not a single one, so there is that

I’m actually OK with the whistle in my VKTR. Hearing that in my practice swing lets me know I’m squared up and ready to go. (ironically, I don’t hear it on my real swing 🤨)
It’s interesting you still hear it with the new design.
I love my VKTR, but look forward to trying the VKTR+

I’m actually OK with the whistle in my VKTR. Hearing that in my practice swing lets me know I’m squared up and ready to go. (ironically, I don’t hear it on my real swing 🤨)
It’s interesting you still hear it with the new design.
I love my VKTR, but look forward to trying the VKTR+
I definitely think you will like the update. It hit on all that needed improvements from the first line and anybody that enjoyed that one, I think will really enjoy the new VLTR+.

I replaced my 19* Srixon 5 wood with the original VKTR 18* 2-hybrid. Awesome decision. I hit it farther, higher, and more accurately. Although I did replace the shaft. I bought it with a Proforce V2 in it, and replaced it with a Recoil Smacwrap 780 F4. Got a higher ball flight and more accuracy. Great feeling club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a bit of testing with the 4 hybrid today in the Tech Studio.

View attachment 8957551

4 Hybrid is 22 degrees with a swing weight of D2

First Up is loft and lie and it came in spot on, which is always a plus.
Swing weight came in at D1.9, so spot on as well.

Took it to the bay and warmed up with a 200 yard pin and my normal 4 hybrid. I'm not terribly long, but go slightly longer than 200, so I wanted to see where this one stood.

Five shots, all with the VKTR+ all carrying with in what I would call pretty darn exceptional considering the loft and my impact locations.

The 1st ball was hit really well, but slightly toe side.
2nd ball was high slightly lower on the face and I left the face open a touch.
3rd ball was hit about as good as I can hit one.
4th ball was similar, but maybe a "groove" low.
5th one I kept in there, because it was a pretty bad miss and yet distance consistency was still right in line.

View attachment 8957549

All in all, a pretty darn good club that I am looking forward to spending more time with. For the money, I am not sure there is a better option out there considering it comes in at $140.

Curious what the spin registers at compared to your existing 4H?

Those numbers look great and similar to what I'd hope for. How does it compare to the Apex 19 4h for you in distance, forgiveness, etc?
@JB , if you get a sec, can you check out my above question. Thanks.

That’s some quality data (y)

Received a VKTR+ 22* hybrid last Friday as part of the Hogan demo program. Did not want to buy it before trying it because I wasn't particularly fond of the original VKTR hybrid. Have taken it to the course and hit numerous shots with it, especially yesterday when I was playing solo and could hit a lot of extra shots along the way. I also received the 22* UIHI utility iron to demo on the same day so was hitting them side by side quite a bit yesterday. Both have UST Recoil F4 shafts. Following are some of my observations:

1. The VKTR+ is a really good looking club. The whistle that was prevelant when swinging the original VKTR has still been noted in a couple of swings with the VKTR+ but not every swing and not as loud as I remember the first being. That would not be a deal breaker alone for me.
2. I have been easily able to flight the ball up or down with the VKTR+. What I have not been able to do though is fade the ball with the club. My natural shot shape with most clubs is right to left and several hybrids I have tried in the past were absolute hook machines for me. I would not go that far with the VKTR+, but the draw to hook flight is certainly there for me on most swings.
3. I was really surprised, when hitting the VKTR+ and UiHi side by side, that I virtually got identical distances from them on well struck shots. Litterally within a yard or two of each other in terms of distance and within 3 or 4 yards in terms of dispersion. This held true from both tee and deck. I really expected the hybrid to be at least 5 yards longer. The VKTR+ was easier for me to launch and yielded a higher ball flight on normal swings.
4. The VKTR+ held better on shots into the green for me than the UiHi, which was not surprising.
5. I also had my original Callaway Apex 5 hybrid (26*) with me and hit that a few times against the VKTR+ and UiHi. For me, the Apex with 4 degrees more loft was only about 5 yards shorter. I generally hit my Apex 4 hybrid (23*) about 15 yards further than the 5 hybrid.

I will continue testing the VKTR+ and UiHi over the next 9 days before I have to send them back. I am still trying to get some consistency in my swing back after not playing much in the last two months due to shoulder issues so I am not writing the clubs off quite yet.

Back