How far do you walk during a round of golf? About 6.5 miles.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've walked 85% of my rounds this summer and have done so wearing my Apple watch. At the end of 18 holes it consistently reads between 6.3 and 6.6 miles at my home course which is 6860 off the back tees. It is a fairly easy to walk compact course with lots of parallel fairways and tee boxes that are fairly close to the previous green. I figure I burn about 1500-1600 calories during a round which might explain why it's easier for me to keep the weight off this year - Until this summer, in the past 5 years I've ridden 90% of my rounds. I actually think walking the course has helped increase my cardio fitness this year.

Plenty of you have GPS watches so how far do the rest of you walk during your rounds?

If I remember right (I never really check to be honest) I think my home course is usually just under 6 miles but, like yours, is relatively compact in terms of its layout with greens and tees pretty close to each other

The longest walks are from the 8th green to the 9th tee where you cross the 18th fairway in front of the tees and then cross over the road towards the 9th, and then from the 17th green you walk maybe 100yds along the road back to the 18th tee

Mine is usually about 7.5-8 miles. That includes a lot of left-right walking. The one good thing about being a high capper, I get lots of exercise walking the course.

Mine is right around 7 miles. My daughter measured it one time when she walked with me.

I've walked 85% of my rounds this summer and have done so wearing my Apple watch. At the end of 18 holes it consistently reads between 6.3 and 6.6 miles at my home course which is 6860 off the back tees. It is a fairly easy to walk compact course with lots of parallel fairways and tee boxes that are fairly close to the previous green. I figure I burn about 1500-1600 calories during a round which might explain why it's easier for me to keep the weight off this year - Until this summer, in the past 5 years I've ridden 90% of my rounds. I actually think walking the course has helped increase my cardio fitness this year.

Plenty of you have GPS watches so how far do the rest of you walk during your rounds?

Good work! Walking more rounds than I ride is one of my primary goals for next year.

between 5.2 at the 6400 yard course and 6.6 miles 6800. yard course. and a world of difference as far as between boxes and elevation.

Most are about 5 miles. I walk 150 rounds per year.

Most are about 5 miles. I walk 150 rounds per year.

I don't think I take 150 sh*ts a year, let alone play 150 rounds of golf haha. That's quite impressive, I'm very jealous.

When I get out to play I try to walk most courses, and my watch typically says its between 6-7 miles of walking each round.

I put my GPS watch on my cart once when I played a round. I had 5.16 miles at the end of the day. Since it wasn't on my arm, I figure I missed out on a little since I, obviously, didn't put my cart onto the tee box when I teed off or onto the green when I putted. Doubt that added much. Maybe a 1/2 mile or so.

I like to refer to walking as taking a hike while a whack a little ball around. Usually get 6-7 miles and about 50 flights of stairs at my home course. walking has definitely helped me keep the weight off this year, my wife got me a bag boy cart last year makes the walking much easier on my back.

Six miles, give our take. The most was 13 miles when I was feeling frisky and walked 36.

The courses that I walk are usually in the 6.8-7.2 miles

All I know is that golfers who hit the ball straight walk less distance than those who spray their shots all over the place and end up zig-zagging back and forth.

It's been awhile since I've worn a tracker but I would say 6-6.5 miles.

6400 yards is about 3.6 miles so I'll say 5 miles total or so.

about 5 miles according to mapmyfitness app

I walk 90%+ of my rounds. 6.5 to 6.8 miles is the usual per loop.

Last edited:
I walk a lot of different courses. Regulation courses you can walk typically fall in a range of 5 miles to 8.5 miles. I played a course last week that clocked 8.3 miles even though I hit all but one fairway and basically played straight ahead golf. This course had a bit of a walk between holes. As far as calories burned, there are three basic categories: Riding in a cart, push/pull cart, and carrying. I am aware of three studies done on calories burned and have done some of my own using a heart rate monitor. Results cluster around these ranges.
Riding: 500-700 calories per round
Push/pull: 800-1,200
Carrying: 1,600-2,400

Besides the variations in walking distance, elevation changes, strokes played, and differences in total bag weight will make results go higher or lower.

Our course is about 6.5 miles. All short walks between holes. I find I play much better when I walk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back