How Far Off To Putt?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming a fairly flat surface, how far off the green will you use your putter?

as far as I think I can roll it close to the pin, if not in the hole ;)

No issue with putting 15 feet off the green. Obviously depends on pin placement and trouble around. My worst putt is a lot better than my worst chutt

If I can Putt it I usually will.

15-20 feet as long as grass isn't too long. I will get closer putting than if chipping it from there.

If I played on real tight courses that encouraged it more, I'd do it more often from further off probably. It makes sense to try. As is, it's not something I do from more than a couple feet off very often at all. Too unpredictable. I'll skip that and fly to the predictable surface if I can.

When I was in Vegas I had a perfect example of why I don't do it. Above and right of a hole, medium cut wide fringe. Looked good. The smart choice, and a decent chance to hole it. Hit it exactly as I (should have) needed to, rolled across something I couldn't have noticed, took a hop and killed the momentum. Was left with a still downhill putt from further than I would have liked when I could have popped a pw over the fringe to <2' pretty easily.

It's a feel thing for me. And also seeing how short the grass is cut between the ball and green. It can get iffy most days.

But to pick a number for general discussions purposes, no more than 10 feet.

My worst putt is definitely better than my worst chip, so if there's nothing between me and the green, I tend to putt a fair amount. Cut off for distance would depend on how tight the fairway is mowed, how dry it is, etc. Unfortunately I'm usually forced to chip as I rarely miss short and straight. :banghead:

Not very far, maybe 5 feet. If I think my putter will get the ball closer, I will putt from further away but will usually chip, depending on lie and green.

About two feet hahaha

Not a putter from off the green, unless the lie sucks. I enjoy chipping way too much I think.

I am the same. Maybe to a fault.

I'd rather chip than putt on most occasions. I chip in a lot & have confidence in it. But I will putt if it's about 2 feet or less, depending on the distance I am from the flag.

Anything within 5 yards I'm ok trying to putt through...after that i'll grab my pw to keep it low and run it up.

I'd rather chip than putt on most occasions. I chip in a lot & have confidence in it. But I will putt if it's about 2 feet or less, depending on the distance I am from the flag.
I do laugh sometimes at the result, but I love the creativity that comes with a well placed wedge shot.

About two feet hahaha

Not a putter from off the green, unless the lie sucks. I enjoy chipping way too much I think.

this morning, it took me a minute to decide "chip or putt" from just off the green...the greens are a little bumpy so a putt, while doable, wouldn't roll all that straight...missed the eagle by about 6-7 inches on the chip...I don't think the putt woulda gotten that close.

this morning, it took me a minute to decide "chip or putt" from just off the green...the greens are a little bumpy so a putt, while doable, wouldn't roll all that straight...missed the eagle by about 6-7 inches on the chip...I don't think the putt woulda gotten that close.
great sample scenario. Also different types of grass and/or which direction the grass is laying makes a big difference for me too.

great sample scenario. Also different types of grass and/or which direction the grass is laying makes a big difference for me too.

in my mind, I was telling myself "putt it....you are not a chipper :ROFLMAO:...putt it..."...good thing I didn't listen to that voice

Course and situation dependent, but usually about 5 yards is where I feel comfortable unless it's cut super tight.

At true links courses I’ve putted from maybe 75 yards off the green.

I play a lot of links golf over here, so if I can get a putter on it then I’m going to putt. Not pretty but much easier to judge than a chip on some of these greens. Always like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Probably 5ft. max

Depends on teh course and fringe. But in general I will putt from maybe up to 5 feet off the green. Beyond that I wouild rather chip. It is sometimes hard to gauge how a ball will roll over fringe.

I have also seen vlogs of people playing courses where they putted from way, way far way from the green. On those courses I would follow the "when in Rome" idiom.

At Bandon Dunes, as the grass is cut so low, and the ground so firm, players putt from 20 to 30 yards off the greens. That's the only place I've played where long distance putting is so common.
Here in Nor Cal we've had some rain and some closely mowed courses now have spongy ground fronting the greens. Lots of players are putting the ball from 5 to 10 yards off the front of the greens, but I took my Cleveland Smart Sole Chipper out of storage and am enjoying using it again :)

Depends on a ton of factors.

On home course probably up to 10-15 feet in most cases. Other courses could be quite a bit more or less.

Back