How Far Off To Putt?

I would say 15 to 20 feet max most of the time if the turf is right.

Putt first, chip second. For me its about the grass. The more cut and manicured the grass, the longer I'll put from. Around here, there usually are not long aprons to the green so not to man opportunities to put from more than 3 or 4 feet off.

Obviously course and condition dependent but if within 20-25 yards I'll putt.... for me, tight lies and partial wedge shots don't mix well..... If conditions aren't favorable to putt, 9i or PW with putting stroke is second option

Really is course and lie dependent but typically for me no more than a couple feet. I'd rather use a wedge

Up north, I'd putt from significantly off the green at times.

Here in NC, I'll only attempt putts of any length when the bermuda fringe is dormant.

In season, probably only 3'-4' max unless a spot seems a bit thin. I generally find the fringe here to be pretty grabby, significantly throws of my feel for distance control.

I will put every time before chipping if it is smooth enough out to 15-20 feet.

i'll chip if i'm even an inch or so off the green. i'm such a headcase about having to putt through any amount of fringe/fairway.

@DG_1234 response of guys putting 20 or 30 yards off at Bandon Dunes reminded me that it also depends on how far I am from the pin for me. I don't have 100+ ft putting in my repertoire. If I'm that far away, and 3 inches on the fringe, I'm chipping it. There are times at out of town courses where I'm on a huge green and think, "Can't I just chip this?" from closer than that. No experience putting it from that range to draw from, and no confidence.

Last edited:
Probably in the 3-5 yd range.

I will putt from the fringe or any really tight lie I am not confident I will chip well. Outside of that, even though I am pretty confident with my putter, I prefer to get the ball up and on the green before it starts rolling.

Most times I need to be 10' or less before I'll putt. I would make exceptions on courses that are shaved so tight that you're putting on what would be a slow green at a Muni though. I don't mind chipping with a less lofted club sometimes rather than putting.

A yard or so for me. Not a fan of putting from way off the green. I'm a pretty good chipper and pretty bad at judging how much different turf conditions will influence the roll.

The grass(fringe) plays more of a role in this decision for me then distance off the green.

Depends on the grass, but most of the time I would putt as my chipping is not that good. I've been about 25 yards off before & used my 7i with a putting stroke & put it really close.

Depends on the pin placement, the lie of the ball.

My overall (competive) putting distance on the green is around 40'feet. I don't usually practice anything longer.

From off the green, my over all limit would probably be 25'-30' feet.

I putt pretty well, but I am also a pretty good chipper from off the green. My shorter flop shots are not too bad either. It just depends on what's working best for me that round.

It really just depends on the lie and how far to the pin. If i can use a putter instead of chip it will always be the choice. I would guess no more than 15 feet would be my limit.

Not too far for me, I'll grab my wedge on the fringe quite a bit.

If I'm barely on the fringe I will probably putt but anymore than a foot or so I'm usually chipping. I just never seem to judge how it will roll through the grass. I feel like it will roll ok and it like rolling through Velcro and comes up short. I hit it thinking it will catch in the grass and it blows by. I just can't get that figured out. Instead I try to use a putting stroke with my wedge and usually have pretty good success.

Even on the fringe I'm chipping most of the time. If the fringe is cut low I'll putt maybe 2 feet off but anything past that I'm probably taking a 7 iron and chipping.

If I'm shortsided on the fringe or a tight lie on the approach (no more than about 10' off the green) I'll grab the putter. Otherwise, it's a chip for me.

To me, it would not be just a matter of how flat the surface is, but how long the grass is that I have to get through. If it is rough or even fairly long fairway, not a chance I putt through it. If it is a tight lie all the way to the green, 30 or 40 feet would not bother me in the least. The determining factor is always whether I think I can judge how hard I have to hit the ball. If it is not a shot I have practiced and it is total guesswork, I would chip/pitch.

Depends on how my wedges are doing that day. On a good day I'll try and chip it if i'm outside of a foot. If my wedges are just not cooperating, because it is the wedge that is the problem, i'll put from any distance ;)

Depends on more than how far of the green I am. Can I get through the grass in front of me to get the green. I have used a Texas wedge on many occasions.

Probably up to around 20 yards or so. I still feel most comfortable getting it started rolling on the ground with my putter.

Assuming a fairly flat surface, how far off the green will you use your putter?

I'm less worried about whether the ground is flat than I am whether the grass is long, the ground is wet, etc. If I had to put a length on it, I'd say 150' or so. It's really just a gut check when I look at it.

Back