How Far Off To Putt?

Regular course I play cuts it tight around the greens. In the summer it's almost a continuation of the green when dry. Been times I've putted from 20-30 yards off of the green.

Maybe a foot if everything is just perfect. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out how hard to hit a putt when I’m on the green. When you throw the transition from fringe/fairway/rough into the equation I really don’t know what to do. I suck at chipping too, but it’s still the better bet for me.

I’ve pitted from just off the green and ended up even further off on the opposite side. I’ve also putted from a foot or so off the green and didn’t even make it to the green. Yes, I really am that bad of a putter.

Assuming a fairly flat surface, how far off the green will you use your putter?
If it’s short grass and smooth I’ll put from 10-15 ft off.

I’ve been known to chip with a low lofted club from a couple inches inside the fringe, and putt from 20’ off the green. It depends a lot on how I’m feeling about my chipping/putting, and the lie and what’s between me and the green, what the green looks like, how it slopes. I try not to have any hard and fast rules around the green and instead play the shot I think will work best. Usually I’m trying to get the ball rolling as fast as possible.

I am actually on the side of not putting when off the green. I find I am closer to the pin if I chip and run the ball when I am off a bit of distance.

Not very far, just because I can’t seem to bring myself to hit the ball hard with my putter.
However watched a few fellas putt from well over 20 yards off the greens today.

I’d rather hit a little bump and run that’s to putt from very far off the green. If I have a downhill lie and a tight pin then I might use a putter as well.

Generally will not use a putter off the green even a couple of inches. Grass has to be very short to use a putter, never a wedge, just enough to get to the green. I'm trying to make the shot not get close.

Assuming a fairly flat surface, how far off the green will you use your putter?

Typically, I’ll only use it now more than say 4 feet off the green. There are exceptions though, like if the hole is straight down hill and the greens and collar are very fast. I’ve even used putter out of the rough in situations like that.

Generally I never putt off the green, practice my bump and run with all my irons so that's usually my go to. About the only time I putt off the green is a down hill lie within 2 feet of the green.

Unless I’m on the very tightly mown apron like my home course has has, I’m chipping if I’m more than a couple of feet off the green and many times I’ll chip from less than a foot off the green. At my home course I’m comfortable putting from about 10 feet off the green and will often putt with a 4 wood from 20+ feet off the green. I only played one other course last year that had aprons that I felt comfortable putting from.

I'd probably go out to about 5 paces, maybe farther if it was a really tricky shot that i had no chance of getting close with a chip.

I would say 30-40 feet, unless the risk to chip outweighs the risk to putt.

I have a buddy that amazes me with how far off the fringe he will putt. I never stepped them off but I think some were at least 15-20 feet off the fringe.

I'd say 5-10 feet range if the grass is cut tight around the green.

Has the Chutt Master @mikedean441 chimed in yet? Pretty sure I witnessed a 40 yard putt.... errr I mean chutt back in the day :ROFLMAO:

I'd say 5-10 feet range if the grass is cut tight around the green.

Has the Chutt Master @mikedean441 chimed in yet? Pretty sure I witnessed a 40 yard putt.... errr I mean chutt back in the day
That's my sweet spot

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The Fred Couples' rule, "the older I get the farther away I putt". That said, I try to chip more often than putt and take away the vagaries of the fringe and how much it will slow the ball down

On most courses only about 3 or 4 feet maximum from the green.

But....when I played Gamble Sands, I putted from 20 feet off the green.
The wife drained her first eagle there from almost 40 feet off the green.
I paced it off when it went in and the putt was just about 75 feet long.

As long as the grass isn’t too long I’ve been trying to putt more. I’d say up to 20 feet or so.

If tightly mown and not too bumpy I don't think 15 feet is out of the question.

That's a tough one.
I'm guessing about four or five feet max if the grass is cut short enough.

Back