How Fast Are Your Greens?

10.5 is what the bulletin board says most weekends

Local course probably a 8-9 avg. There are some diabolical greens well over that on some courses nearby

Current course is somewhere between man these are slow and these have to be the slowest greens in the world. Former course was somewhere between perfect and to fast. I always prefer to fast over to slow

I would suggest the greens in my area have two different speeds based on time of year. Its still the 'rainy season' in NorCal and greens are typically softer, hairier and slower... maybe 8, but in a about 6 weeks time with weather getting warmer and rain abating until Oct/Nov timeframe, they start rolling in the 10-11 range especially after spring time aeration is fully 'healed'

8-9 in the winter, 11-12 in season.

Most of the public courses around here I would guess around 7-9. Most are pretty consistent green to green except 2 of the courses that wind thru the forest, the shaded greens are always wetter and slower.

Yup.

Until they’re not. They’ll shock you one day when you realize they aren’t rolling 6 anymore but 10-11. Once dried out for summer some local courses can get stupid. My “home” course tops out in the 10-11 range.

The one with the most slope likes to think they’re Augusta. You might as well just go home if the first green there is all shiny. There’ll be pins you can’t stop it within 20ft. From any angle. Putting. Ugh.

I know they’re fast because the golf team practices there. I’m not sure of a number but downhill they’re Mach 4.

I have absolutely no idea how the stimpmeter works. So i guess ill answer this by saying, pretty quick in the middle of the season comparatively to any or most public courses around us. Compared to most other private courses, Id say they are above average quickness. Theyre smooth, which is ultimately most important. But they are absurdly fast either. Theyre challenging but fair.

I have no clue, but they get fast and hard during the windy summers here in KS. I hit an approach from 130 out a couple years ago and the ball bounced over the pin off the green.

Depending on the time of the year they could range from 8-11. Since they are bent grass they have to baby them a little bit, for the pro tournament that comes through every year my guess, they hit 12-13.

I play a variety but I'd guess somewhere around 10 or so on avg. overall. A couple are quicker, one is absolute lightning, and one I'm pretty sure cuts the grass with straight razors, but a couple can slow down with weather and one they cut a little long. There was new work on those last greens this past year though and they're looking to get them rolling faster in 2021.

8-9, I'm thinking here in summer. In Winter probably the 9 hole course is about 2 with elk hoof marks slowing things a bit more

Don't know the number, but most of the ones I play tend to be pretty slow most of the time.

Our greenskeeper tries to keep ours around 10, but they fluctuate day to day.

I play Torrey Pines the most and the greens are very fast. Too make it tougher, the course we play the next most has pretty slow greens. Makes for some interesting opening holes going between courses.

I have to say our greens are average. What that average number is, I don't know.

At our course, the only time the 18 green are the same speed, is after they have been mowed.

During the day, some of the greens get more sun than others. Some of the greens see very little, if any direct sun. This cause them to grow at different speeds.

My course has been slow all winter, until last week when they start preparing them for the season and they are now at least 4 - 6' faster.
We don't have a daily stimp reading but that is how far all of my putts would go past the hole before I adjusted to the new pace!

Generally, my course will be somewhere around 9-10, but for club championships last year they were running at just under 11

Normally 11-12, but on Masters weekend they bump 'em to 13 just for Sh#*s and giggles.

Usually between 10-12. For tourneys/invitationals, etc. they bump them up to 13-14. One of the bigger amateur tournaments in the country is played annually at my course so they're usually pretty fast.

I have no idea what the greens stimp at but they're not slow like putting on indoor carpet and not fast like putting on glass. They're more like indoor/outdoor carpet speed wise.:confused2:

Ours can get pretty quick for some tournaments, especially during the summer. They do a good job of cutting and rolling, and they aerate 3-4 times per year so they can dial them up. I'd say an average summer weekend they roll around 10 but have gotten 12ish in the past (members start complaining), and winters tend to be the slowest as they are limited with what they can do on the agronomy.

I asked the head pro that question last summer. He said they usually play between 10-11.

Back