how golf lingo has changed....

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
30 years ago I remember the terms on the left side of the below being used, but in recent years the words have changed to be the right side column:

fade is now called cut
pull is now a tug
into the wind is now called hurt
down wind is now called help
low trajectory shots used to be called low and, or, a punch shot, now it's called flighting the ball.

I am not sure why the lingo has changed, but it has and t.v. guys, caddies, players, and internet forum discussion participants all seem to get on board with whichever are the most trendy words to describe golf shots. If you know of some other shot description word changes from years ago to now, please post to this thread.
Personally I still call a fade a fade and a pull a pull. Truly a fade is a different shot from a cut, and a tug is a different shot from a pull.

I pulled it
I pushed it
I hit a fade
I hit a draw
Its down wind which will help distance
Its into the wind which will hurt distance
I need to hit a punch out from under these trees.

And that's probably all on just the first hole......:banghead:

As long as they tell me a draw is fading or a fade is drawing, etc., I'm fine with whatever, I guess.

yeah, give me the words in the left column.

Though tug is a new one for me, I've never heard anyone in person say "I tugged that"

I don't think that those are synonyms in the way you suggest but yes, language changes and evolves.

Though tug is a new one for me, I've never heard anyone in person say "I tugged that"

I have to admit I do say that from time to time. :)

Never heard the term "tug" before.. I don't see myself using it.

The one I remember from past years gone by is the "bump and run" shot term. Iirc back then, it was a shot hit into the side of a raised green for distance control. The golfer would hit (bump) the ball into the side of the raised green, and have the ball bounce up onto the green and "run" to the hole. These days it's more or less just a pitch/chip shot of some sort.

I remember the first time I heard the term cut shot, and was lost.

These days, I still fade, draw, slice, hook thin, top, fat, sky, straight, push, pull, shank, and whiff shots. My bag doesn't have any more room for new shots.

Almost hit report for inappropriate content sir! :)

they mispelt it

I don't cut, I slice. It fades because I can't draw. I won't use tug. Those pull airplanes around.:ROFLMAO:

most of my "lingo" is still accurate... d@mmit, sh#t, facking three putt....etc...

I guess I personally feel like a fade and a cut are a little different. To me a fade is a little more gentle like aiming down the left side of the fairway and peeling back a few yards into the center. When I think of a cut I think of a little lower ball flight (generally) with a more aggresive left to right movement, somewhere in between a fade and a slice.

I think of a punch more as a softer swing trying to keep the ball low and with a lot of roll out. I think of flighted more as a full shot just at a little lower trajectory than normal but not as low as the low/punch trajectory.

I haven't heard the term tugged and still say pull.

Yank, tug, pull, smother, reef....you name it I can hit it.

So I just started playing golf and I’m already behind the times? Figures.

Yank, tug, pull, smother, reef....you name it I can hit it.
I’ve hit all of those I think though I’ve never heard of a reef. This kind of reminds me of a sign I saw in a pro shop this weekend.

“I was one under...one under a tree, one under a bush, and one under water.”

I’ve been there before lol.

Still using the terminology that I used for years about golf shots. To old to change now. ;)

I have never heard the word tug used in reference to golf before. Flighting the ball refers to being able to hit shots at different trajectories (low,medium, and high) not just hitting low shots. Punch shots are still punch shots

I bet there's someone on your lawn who doesn't belong there right now...

Tug is just synonym for pull, its not like people don't say pull anymore. People still use hurt and into the wind, help and downwind. Fade and cut are two different things in my mind. A punch is still a punch, and flighting the ball is just hitting it lower than normal.

Back