How Good Is Your Rain Gear

Love my rain gear! I have the Footjoy Hydrolite jacket and pants. I've had them for the last 5 years. Never had an issue. Even wear them out supervising football games or arrival/dismissal in the rain and cold. Blocks out wind, keeps me warm, zero issues. One of the best purchases I've made.

While I could not tell you the brand of rain gear I have, I can tell you that both the pants and the jacket are really good in the rain and we get some downpours here in the east side of Washington state. I bought them at the Coeur d'Alene resort a few years ago when I got surprised by a fast moving storm that came in 30 minutes before my tee time.
I have some FootJoy all weather gloves that work very well in the rain and when I'm playing in cold weather. I do not have a rain hat of any kind. I also have a StormStik club umbrella that goes in the bag if there is any doubt about rain. I also have a big umbrella that I won in a tourney.

My issue with Kjus has been the european sizing and it tends to run a bit slimmer than I am.

I go up one size. When I put on an L size waterproof jacket with a shirt and wool sweater underneath, then XL is sometimes needed depending on the brand. My GG Goretex Jacket is XL, my other light GG jackets or vests that go over a polo are L. The Merino sweaters are L.

It's not real great, although when I bought them they were state of the art. Many years ago, I sank some money into Foot Joy rain pants and jacket. Being made long before Gore Tex was invented, they are heavy, bulky, and hot! I will sometimes wear the jacket when it's cool and breezy. It does a good job of handling that. Nowadays, I keep a pair of lightweight vinyl rain pants, bucket hat, and FJ rain gloves in the bag. But, if it's really raining that hard, we'll just hide out until it lets up.

Saw some options on Amazon in the $30-40 range for a jacket labeled as Golf/Cycling but wasn't sure how it would be. Need something quickly for my Friday outing which is supposed to rain.
anyone try Amazon ? Which one?

I go up one size. When I put on an L size waterproof jacket with a shirt and wool sweater underneath, then XL is sometimes needed depending on the brand. My GG Goretex Jacket is XL, my other light GG jackets or vests that go over a polo are L. The Merino sweaters are L.
Goretex is the best, albeit expensive. My Nike $200 Goretex rainpants bought on sale for $100
are more than 20 years old and like new.
Rarely used for golf but more often for winter snow. Worthwhile investment if you have 20+ years of use to look forward to.

I survive our intermittent arid climate rain with an umbrella and water resistant and breathable outer layers. Currently I have a low cost Sun mountain rain jacket and an older pair of Go Lite rain pants.

I bought Adidas rain gear and i think i have used it one time in 3 years.

I have a Galvin Green Achilles jacket and Proquip Stormforce trousers. I came no where near paying MSRP for either. It took a long time before I was able to find both at a deep discount. I found the vast majority of rain gear out there to be water resistant, not water proof which, after a couple of seasons, isn't even water resistant. I figured if I was going to play in the rain on occasion I wanted something that would keep my dry. "Water resistant" is as useless as BBQ pulled pork without the BBQ.

I have the full Galvin Green jacket and trousers they are expensive but in some of weather we have to play in over here it is money well spent. Titleist Sta dry hat and rain gloves and I can pretty much play in any weather and regularly do. This gear will keep me dry for 18 holes.

4 walls and a roof, so pretty good... I try not to play in rain.

I love Houston, but rain and humidity are 2 of the reasons I hate Houston! lol

4 walls and a roof, so pretty good... I try not to play in rain.

I love Houston, but rain and humidity are 2 of the reasons I hate Houston! lol

Oh Lord! The most muggy night I've ever known was in Houston. Had to spend the night there then fly to Dallas the next day. I won't go into why, but I was really pissed! It was February or March. I get to the hotel room and it is really close in there. I crank the AC as high as it will go and adjourn to the hotel bar which was a real disappointment. When I asked what kind of beer they had I was told Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light! I was hoping to get a Shiner Bock maybe.

So, I sipped a couple of semi-cold Bud Lights and wwent back up to the room. It did not get better! Pulled the bedspread off, and spent the night nude on top of the covers! It was like trying to breathe soup!

Oh Lord! The most muggy night I've ever known was in Houston. Had to spend the night there then fly to Dallas the next day. I won't go into why, but I was really pissed! It was February or March. I get to the hotel room and it is really close in there. I crank the AC as high as it will go and adjourn to the hotel bar which was a real disappointment. When I asked what kind of beer they had I was told Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light! I was hoping to get a Shiner Bock maybe.

So, I sipped a couple of semi-cold Bud Lights and wwent back up to the room. It did not get better! Pulled the bedspread off, and spent the night nude on top of the covers! It was like trying to breathe soup!
Yup - I could tell you some Houston humidity stories that would frizz your wife's hair... hahahaha

My wife has to get a keratin blowout treatment twice a year in Houston. At least I don't have to wear a shirt and tie as I did in the 90's - I would walk out the door and immediately wrinkle, and then be drenched in sweat before I got to the office.

There are a few things in life that you you really do get what you pay for, and rain gear is one of them. When Goretex is an option in raingear, it's usually the right answer, and that comes from a decades long duck hunting and fishing background.

I have a group that I go to Bandon Dunes with most years in the fall, and that's a place you can never count on having good weather. The first trip I decided I'd skimp on rain gear, because "How bad can it really get?".

Well, it can get bad if you don't have good rain gear and the skies open up. Miserably bad. They play there rain or shine, and to be honest, I appreciate the challenge that comes with that, but being soaked and frozen takes a lot of the joy out of it.

I have two sets of golf raingear that I can rotate for consecutive bad weather days. I have Sunice Goretex top and trousers that match, and a FJ Hydrotour jacket I bought last year that is really good(enen though it's not Goretex), and some Peak Performance Goretex trousers. I find the actual trousers that you wear as your primary pants are more comfortable and easier to play in than pull-over pants that you'd put on top of your regular clothes. The overpants just seem to further restrict movement and are just not as comfortable for me. I prefer the ones with regular belt loops so I can use a belt to keep them on since I have no ass to keep pants up without a belt anyway. The velcro or snap adjustable waist pants or elastic only pants are no good for me.

Bucket hat with the longer back to keep rain out of your jacket collar is nice to have as well. Again, Goretex is your best bet.

Warm weather rain showers that pass quickly don't bother me, but if I know ahead of time it's going to be wet and nasty, I have no problem putting on the good gear.

Fj half sleeve jacket and Columbia rain pants. Works good for the few times I play in the rain a year

I have an amazing Sunice suit that works perfectly. Full range of motion, warm, breathable. Just last weekend I played in an absolute deluge (we're talking Biblical rain) and I was perfectly dry at the end.

I bought Kjus jacket and pants for an Ireland trip 2 years ago and it’s awesome

I’ve got a decent pair of recent Callaway pants and a Galvin Green Goretex jacket I found for a smoking deal. Was acquiring decent stuff for a Spring trip to Bandon and decided it could potentially save the trip if the weather went south. Rain gloves to top it off.

I have a Columbia rain jacket and Footjoy rain gloves in my bag. That's about it for me.

Guess I forgot my umbrella.

My rain gear is the clubhouse.
I get comfortable and spend the day in there when it rains.

Before I retired and could play any time, it was probably different,
but my rain gear was pretty primitive as I recall.

Back