How good of a putter are you?

If you ask the Putt-Out that I just got, I am absolutely horrible. Got a ball to stick in the little hole on my 4th or 5th try then none for the next 50 or so putts I rolled before getting frustrated and walking away. That sucker is hard!

I can with confidence say that putting is the best part of my game. I had 31 putts today and still didn't break 110. Brutal.

From the most difficult position farthest from the pin?

Absolutely no, I couldn't 2 putt every green. I'd imagine in that scenario, I may 3 putt 1/3 of them. Some large greens, a few with tiers or dramatic undulation.

Some shapes, from the most difficult point would mean putting from the green, through fringe, back to the putting surface.

Yeah, maybe I'd 3-putt even more. No, I'm sure of it. :D

I typically have 35-36 putts, rarely ever more.. but my missed birdies and pars come on the green. Many of my one putts it's because I had a great approach/chip, not like I'm putting lights out from 6' or more

On a scale of 1-10 I'd say I'm a 3, as in how many putts it sometimes takes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

InTheRough;n8907080 said:
I can with confidence say that putting is the best part of my game. I had 31 putts today and still didn't break 110. Brutal.

That sounds logical. If you're scoring that high, then you're missing lots of greens and probably chipping closer than your approaches would end up if you hit the greens from further out. As you improve, you'll hit more GIR and your putting numbers will, likely, go up at least for a while.

OGputtnfool;n8907182 said:
That sounds logical. If you're scoring that high, then you're missing lots of greens and probably chipping closer than your approaches would end up if you hit the greens from further out. As you improve, you'll hit more GIR and your putting numbers will, likely, go up at least for a while.

The ironic part is that I wasn't chipping close. Missing a lot of greens is an understatement. I was hacking onto the green and one or two putting... sometimes one putting from 10 feet. I had one birdie. Poor ball striking was the problem. I've been without my clubs for one month and had a calf injury for two weeks immediately afterward. So this was like my first round of the year again and the season is almost over. I think I'm done for the year and I'll just spend the rest of the time at the driving range rather than getting frustrated on the course. We have relatively mild winters so I'll try to keep my swing going over the winter.

I've been told more than a few times my putting is tour quality. I don't know about that, but it is good. I track all my round details on GHIN. According to GHIN year to date, I average 1.86 putts per greens in regulation. Between birdies and up and downs, I 1-putt a green 45% of the time. So, I'm under 36 putt per round virtually all the time.

I rarely 3 putt, maybe once every 3-4 rounds but my approach shots on average are not in the high percentage “makeable” distance so typically 2 putt and probably 20-25% of the time will 1 putt (birdie) or chip close enough to make putt. I have been using an Evenroll putter this year and switched to left hand low and felt my accuracy has been better but still not seeing breakthroughs in the +10 foot range. Could be my green reading as I am constantly burning edges all day but my 3 putt avoidance has been pretty good. My close friend says he felt I putted better with my old putter (sold and gone) so future purchase could be an Odyssey SL Double Wide as I have putted a bit with one at Golftown and felt very good.

Based on your parameters, no way for me and, I would wager a tidy sum that very few PGA Tour players would do it. The task is nearly impossible. There would be almost no 1 putts and certainly some 3 putts.

Looking at the data...

417 rounds in my score app since 2014.

I’ve average 1.8 putts per hole over those 417 rounds - so, I average a 2-putt, basically.

Chipping it close when I miss the green is a strength of mine so that probably pulls the average down since I have a lot of kick-ins for par or bogey. Gimmes probably skew that average as well.

Additionally my home course has small greens so there are not many 3-putts.

The conditions outlined in the OP are stacked against me since they take chipping it close out of the equation.

I feel like on my home course I could get it done in <36. It’d be a challenge on a course with larger greens.

Lately, my putter has been working fairly well. 6 birdies total, 4 straight on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have to give this challenge a try. My back is hurt now so I can’t swing. 36 putts from the hardest position. Sounds hard.

Now, when you get to the green, imagine you found your ball in the most difficult location relative to the pin placement. If the pin's in front, then the ball is in the back. If the pin's in the back, then the ball is in the front. If it's middle, then maybe it's just really undulating between the front or back and the pin. Consider, too, that there are likely some spots where you'd have to either putt through fringe or pitch over ala Gary Woodland @ US Open hole 17 on Sunday.

How many of you think you could walk off with 36 putts or less?
So, I read the OP, which I obviously only scanned before. This is a VERY challenging scenario, especially on greens of ample size and complex configuration. Basically, you are setting up 18 of the most likely 3-putt scenarios possible on a given course. The chances of 1-putting any of these 18 placements are extremely small, even for PGA Tour professionals. The chance of facing 18 consecutive 3-putt scenarios without a single 3-putt is highly unlikely, even for the most accomplished putter. On a 60-100 foot putt with significant slopes, a ball can easily be deflected by a single imperfection on the green resulting in a 15-20 foot second putt even if the putt was perfectly read and perfectly struck.

So, I read the OP, which I obviously only scanned before. This is a VERY challenging scenario, especially on greens of ample size and complex configuration. Basically, you are setting up 18 of the most likely 3-putt scenarios possible on a given course. The chances of 1-putting any of these 18 placements are extremely small, even for PGA Tour professionals. The chance of facing 18 consecutive 3-putt scenarios without a single 3-putt is highly unlikely, even for the most accomplished putter. On a 60-100 foot putt with significant slopes, a ball can easily be deflected by a single imperfection on the green resulting in a 15-20 foot second putt even if the putt was perfectly read and perfectly struck.
Absolutely. I think lots of people glossed over the essential details of the question at hand.

Ball in the most difficult position on the green for every hole...... No chance for 36, I for sure 3 putt a few of those. Not only that, that's a nightmare scenario and for me would be the most frustrating round ever! LOL

I may have to give this challenge a try. My back is hurt now so I can’t swing. 36 putts from the hardest position. Sounds hard.

I gave it a try today on 9 holes. I just set the ball on the green at the farthest spot from the pin. All the putts were between 55-75 feet. Took 21 putts. (Which would be 42 putts for 18, which is a whole lot compared to my usual 28-30 putts per round, but you’re starting from a long ways away every time, no chips or close approach shots to help).

I 2 putted 6/9 holes and 3 putted 3 holes... #’s 2, 5, and 8. Number 2 should have been a 2 putt, as i made a really good second putt going straight into the hole, but then it hit a little something on the green and it bounced slightly left and ended up teetering on the edge!

3, 6, 7, and 9 I lagged to 2 feet or less. 1 and 4 were to 4-5 feet. 2 was to around 10 feet, 5 was 6 ft, and 8 was about 8 feet.

It was a neat but difficult challenge. I was okay with my results, especially since #2 should have been a 2 putt. But statistically if you gauge distance control around average 10% margin of error, then on a 60 foot putt you’re likely to leave half outside 6 foot, and you’ll only make half of those at best. I only left 1/3 outside 6 feet so that’s good I think. So I had three that were 6+ and missed them (though one should have gone in except for the bump I hit).

I may have to do this challenge again and see what I can do on the full 18.

Take the challenge and post your results!

Thinking that from the most difficult parts on each green that would certainly be a struggle. I know there wouldn't be any 1 putts but there certainly would be three putts. I don't think I'd be able to get it done but I'd consider myself a below average golfer.

Back