How hard do you swing?

LargePhil

Tiny Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
I swing about 70%. This gives me about a 27/9 tempo. I feel it let's me have room to jump on a club if I am caught in between.

I was wondering what other THP'rs thoughts were. I hadn't seen this discussed and I searched for it.

Tapatalking

If I do it right, I am about 30% coming back, and 50% coming through. That doesn't mean I can conjure up 50% more power. Just that if I swing with all my available strength bad things happen.

I try to swing 80% all the time....with a slow tempo going back

This year I have had to slow down my takeaway in order to stop myself getting out of line at the top. Now I have a smoother take away and a downswing in about 85%

My 85% is most peoples 50% it seems. I don't swing hard, but I try to.

Too hard. I feel I have a great practice swing but when I step up to that little white ball I feel I have to kill it. On the rare occasion I can take some off the result ends up being worse. It's a work in progress.

I have always went at it 100% on a full shot. Never really thought about doing it any other way.

I don't hold too much back on most my swings.

I hit my best shots with a smooth 40% takeaway and come down on the ball with about 80%. If I go all out on my swing I usually will put a push-slice on the ball.

Slow backswing prob 70% swing.

Typing away using Tapatalk!

I tie double knots in my shoes and try to swing out of them. Maybe that's the problem.

I try to control how hard I swing by limiting the backswing and making a smooth transition. I would say I usually try to accelerate into the ball and reach 100% at contact...

Almost directly proportional to how angry I am from the previous hole!

Last edited:
Almost directionally proportional to how angry I am from the previous hole!

Haha good answer. I would say I'm at about 80%

Apparently too hard since I'm sitting here with severely strained chest muscles from swinging my driver over 3 weeks ago.

As absolutely hard as I can. If my shoes are still on my feet, I know I didn't swing hard enough.

As absolutely hard as I can. If my shoes are still on my feet, I know I didn't swing hard enough.

You might check into those FJ's with the Boa system, upgrade to steel cables, lol. Add the Champ spikes and tear up some course buddy!

I find that I run into the law of diminishing returns when I try to swing hard.

A great example from the range yesterday:

Warming up/stretching out (50%): 7i goes 130 yards
Course-like swing (80%): 7i goes 155
Full swing (100%): 7i goes 160 yards

My accuracy and ball flight are MUCH better at 80% than 100% so I have very little reason to swing more than 80%.

I have a question. How do you know what 100% is? Is it as hard as you can swing? Or is it as hard as you can swing and keep control over your shot?

My SD is 105, 80% of that would be around 85. My guess is im not swinging at 80% but routinely swing at my average SS.

70% maybe?
I know i can do more and hit the ball.
And i know i can still go harder and NOT hit the ball :p

I have a question. How do you know what 100% is? Is it as hard as you can swing? Or is it as hard as you can swing and keep control over your shot?

My SD is 105, 80% of that would be around 85. My guess is im not swinging at 80% but routinely swing at my average SS.

I have an answer. I put everything I had into a swing at one of the outings and I got my SS to 123. My SS is typically 112 which is about 90%. At that speed, I can keep my posture and balance. Also I can hit fairways at that speed as well.

I am comparing my playing swing to my "use every muscle in my body to hit this ball as far as I possibly can" swing.

I don't measure my swing speed regularly... but I find when I try to swing REALLY hard, I don't get much increase in swing speed (and can lose speed as well). My 80% is just a number that I am using to describe the "ease" of my swing. It is not a scientific 80%.

For me 100% is the bolded.

I have an answer. I put everything I had into a swing at one of the outings and I got my SS to 123. My SS is typically 112 which is about 90%. At that speed, I can keep my posture and balance. Also I can hit fairways at that speed as well.

Ok, so you can hit 123 but control it at 112. Would 112 be your 100%. 123 with no idea where it's going is just a lash, would you agree?

Ok, so you can hit 123 but control it at 112. Would 112 be your 100%. 123 with no idea where it's going is just a lash, would you agree?

I think you are right Kong. If you set your "as hard as I can control" as 100%, then I always swing 100%. But, you also open up the idea that I might really go after one (during a scramble, or on a very open hole). Does that mean I am swinging 110%?

Back