how hard is it to save a grip?

Oregon Jack

Let's real 'er back in.
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish?
I'm thinking about putting either a superstroke or an iomic on my scotty, but i want to save the scotty grip if possible. so, if i went to golf galaxy for example, how likely is it that they will be able to save it, how much would it cost to do this, and if they can't save it, do they refund the cost to take it off?

They can definitely save them.

You can save a grip if you take it off with air. I'm sure there's other ways too.

Using solvent, very very high percentage save. Still can explode if unlucky.

Using air, high percentage save but they can definitely explode.

If they pop, the discretion of the company. They may say buyer beware, or refund you the 3-4 bucks they charge you. Don't expect a new grip though in any circumstance.

You will need to inject solvent into the grip to activate the tape. Once this has been done you can twist the grip off

Is it one you cannot find again or expensive to replace? It's not hard to save a grip but the few times I've done it with just a grip tool I made sure patience was on my side.

Is it one you cannot find again or expensive to replace? It's not hard to save a grip but the few times I've done it with just a grip tool I made sure patience was on my side.
Its a scotty grip. I'd just like to spend a couple bucks if it makes resale value go up, which it would..

I'm thinking about putting either a superstroke or an iomic on my scotty, but i want to save the scotty grip if possible. so, if i went to golf galaxy for example, how likely is it that they will be able to save it, how much would it cost to do this, and if they can't save it, do they refund the cost to take it off?

I would almost bet that they would tell you up front that they can't guarantee it coming off intact. They are not going to spend a whole lot of time trying to save it for the few dollars they would make.

Air compressors is all I use.

I used my compressor and Pure Grip gun to save a superstroke last week.

Its a scotty grip. I'd just like to spend a couple bucks if it makes resale value go up, which it would..
Totally understand. For a few bucks more than the cost of having someone remove the grip you can prob buy the original grip new with some patience.

Totally understand. For a few bucks more than the cost of having someone remove the grip you can prob buy the original grip new with some patience.
no, its about $40 on ebay new.

Just use some solvent and it should slide right off.

A hypodermic set up will get the solvent inside and around between the grip and shaft.

Good lord DO NOT do this. Stay away from hypodermic needles with solvent. Very experienced professionals have accidently pricked themselves with the needles and almost lost a hand. It is very bad news if you accidently inject any amount of solvent into you. People may say "hey, I'm careful and take my time. It wouldn't happen to me." It can and even with all reasonable care, why take the risk? A plastic paint/epoxy syringe or a squirt bottle with a narrow nozzle will do the job just fine. Air compressors are great for the job but it's a hard purchase to justify if you don't use the compressor for other tools already.

On topic, they will try, but if you absolutely have to have the job done successfully, you should do it yourself. Some of those big box guys are butchers.

Back