How Has Your Apparel Changed In 10-20 Years?

Less cotton, they actually fit well (less baggy, more fitted), and stretch. I have no fear of the white now. Bring it on. And bright pastels. Wouldn't have been caught dead in them 20 years ago. I used to only wear pretty classic shoes. That has definitely changed too.

I've always been pretty conservative as far as the style goes. Like others I've moved mainly into performance fabrics. I have moved in to a slightly more colorful wardrobe, occasionally pulling out a pink or teal shirt which I would not have worn in years past.

What about your apparel has changed since the start of the new Century, or even ten years ago.

Did you go from black belt to white belt to braided belt?
Did you go from mega baggy khakis to split hemmed white to joggers?
Were you in the plaid pant/short movement?
Was it Nike all the way back in the day, with a new brand taking hold nowadays?

Or have you been basic for 20 years now? :ROFLMAO:
Went from cargo shorts to flat front shorts and just overall nice quality apparel. 20 years ago, I was a broke 21 year old who could barely pay his bills or afford to buy groceries every week. For me, golf clothes were polos and khakis from Kohls or JC Penny.
Now, my wife often buys me nicer golf apparel because she thinks that I will enjoy golf more if I look good and am more comfortable out on the course. Ive got a lot more Foot Joy and Ashworth.

The mains changes are from trousers to shorts and spiked to spikeless. The joys of moving from the UK to CA.

Growing up, my Dad wore short sleeved, plaid button downs & my Mom bought the same for me. I DO NOT wear plaid nor short sleeved button downs. I’ll do stripes or solid polos (Peter Millar, RLX, Rhoback lately) or solid long sleeve button downs. But give me a polo & nice quarter zip any day if I need long sleeves.
Still wear pressed blue jeans & cowboy boots, they just don’t have wear marks from spurs anymore.

No pleats

A lot more patterns in my closet over the past 13 years.

I have. A few Hawaiian print shirts and I love them.

When I first started playing in the 80's I had pleats in my shorts. My shoes had spikes and my shirts were polyester.
Things got baggy for awhile. Greg Norman was my fashion icon for a bit. Polo collars were longer. Socks were longer.
Now more performance fabrics but still polyester basically. Shorts arent as stiff. Even my underwear is performance.
Everything is performance except my swing.

Less cotton as others have said, but with micro plastics in polyester and the environmental impact, I'm looking for a good alternative material. Merino wool, hemp and bamboo are all in the discussion, but I haven't landed on a preference yet. Still have a bunch of polyester since it's more wasteful to throw it out, but I'll avoid buying any more new.

No more pleats in pants / shorts.

Otherwise I've stayed pretty middle of the road and have some loud stuff and some conservative stuff. I am still part of the white belt crew though 👍

Other than going from pleats in pants/shorts, not really.

When I first started playing in the 80's I had pleats in my shorts. My shoes had spikes and my shirts were polyester.
Things got baggy for awhile. Greg Norman was my fashion icon for a bit. Polo collars were longer. Socks were longer.
Now more performance fabrics but still polyester basically. Shorts arent as stiff. Even my underwear is performance.
Everything is performance except my swing.

Basically the same here. Donated all my cotton polos to Goodwill. Kept a few pair of long cotton pants for cooler weather, but all performance shorts for the heat. Even then sometimes it doesn't help that much. Played yesterday and it was so humid that even with moisture wicking performance boxer briefs under performance shorts I still got a case of swamp a**!

Cotton is gone. No more swamp a$$ in summer heat.
More tropical print shirts in performance fabrics are available, which are my go to.

I'm still breaking out shirts I bought 10-20 years ago....Ha

Things have changed dramatically on and off the course.

Yep, khaki pants were definitely the staple back then. Though I preferred a less baggy version than most. Polo shirts were mostly cotton and mostly solids.

Back then work was almost always a shirt, tie and suit.

Nowadays it's solid slim slacks and shorts with highly styled patterned polo shirts...on and off the course.

Since no one mentioned it: unmentionables. Breathable boxer briefs are your boys best friends. Zero cotton.

Biggest change for me is no more Dickies, specifically the Original 874 Work Pants. I wore those for everything, on and off course...I blame growing up skateboarding. Durable enough for any dirty job but yet with the permanent crease they could pass for dress pants in the office and passed any dress codes for playing golf. They were awful to play golf in though. Heavy and stiff fabric with no breathability. One day walking through a dept. store I saw golf pants on sale so I tried them on for grins and giggles. I finally realized what I had been missing all those years and I don't think I ever wore Dickies 874s again haha.

Guess I've gone from jeans and t-shirts to shorts and t-shirts since we've done the last sixteen winters in Florida.

Last edited:
Synthetics in place of cotton. Slimmer pants with stretch fabric. Amazing times we live in

One word: tapered.

slimmer the pants, the better.

- I don't wear Nike anymore (protesting their joke of a design team)
- I like more athletic fit these days despite being rotund
- Now that I play at a reputable club I try to leave the jorts and cargos at home

One thing I quit doing was paying for the logo.

I look sharp though... Too sharp. Do you all know what it's like to have to keep telling those cart girls no? I swear, they're relentless.

No more cotton. And definitely bold colors. Also my shoe game has improved beyond just 2 pairs.
the last 3 years, my belt game has improved as well. As in opting for a belt instead of a logo shirt from a course. Find I get more use out of belts when Not playing.

Back