How Hot Is Too Hot For You Not To Play Golf

Not sure there is such a thing as too hot. If heat index is above 105 though will usually grab a cart instead of walking.

Heat indexes this week are 105+. I don't love it, but I wouldn't get much golf in from June-Sept. if I didn't play in the heat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Passenger @golfinnut please pick up the white courtesy phone...
yeah yeah ... we all know I tend to visit ER's after rounds in the heat. :eek: Especially anything more than 90* & high humidity.

Man, I don't know, but if that one-hour class I had in the blazing-hot noonday sun, yesterday, here in the Metro-Detroit area was any guide: We're probably about there. I could handle it, but was happy to get inside when the class was over.

Used to be sun, heat, and humidity like this didn't faze me in the least. Guess I'm starting to feel my age a bit.

It depends. When the heat indexes are high, I rarely play on back to back days.

Last Friday, my tee time was 10:30. Our heat index at midday was 105. No breeze whatsoever. The heat and humidity were smothering, it seemed. I struggled late in the round. Yard work that afternoon and digging holes for new shrubs on Saturday with a similar heat index whacked me enough that I didn't play Sunday.

So, I'll call a 105 heat index the limit.

I will play in any weather. I start riding in a cart at 85 degree highs. I just can't stay hydrated walking in that kind of heat with no shade over my head in the Ohio Valley.

Here's the forecast for tomorrow's round (which won't start until 2:30pm due to work)...
1594133538347.png

It's never too hot for me to golf. After living in a frozen tundra for several months every year I'll manage to handle any heat you can throw at me. If it's hot I'll just ride instead of walk.

I don’t believe there is a temperature that would stop me playing. The temperature would only influence whether I walk or ride.

Played last week in Floriday a few times and 2 of them were afternoon rounds. Not sure it can get much hotter.

Living here in Florida “how hot” is definitely going to increase substantially! I don’t think getting out earlier in the day will make it any better.

Never too hot

I walked back to back days of 100 and then 95 last week, both high humidity. I really regretted walking the second round.

Mid 90s is where I call it quits. Really more a function of the sun than the temp.

If it is blazing sun, my tolerance goes much lower.

High 90's with HIGH humidity is my preferred no go zone. If I am on vacation and the golf is planned ahead I will do it but that is just too uncomfortable for a casual round. It's all about casual vs vacation golf really. Orlando is August for the UG was well over my comfortable casual conditions but as I was specifically there to play golf, it was a go.

Never living in Florida. Yep it’s hot and humid but so used to it at this point. Just bring lots of water and extra towel. Funny cause I played in Palm Springs a couple of years ago on an overnight. Played the first round and then wanted to play a second. Pro shop was like “we close at 1300 cause it’s too hot in the afternoon”, lol. I live in FL please.

I don't know that I have a limit, but I will say, be careful out there. One day last year it was only about 93, but there wasn't a breath of wind and not a cloud in the sky. On about hole 14 I started moving real slow and started feeling dizzy trying to stand still on the putting green. I gave it one more hole and then said "This isn't good. I need to quit." We did and I was fine once out of the heat. I've never experienced that before or since.

I’ll walk up to 103, anything more and I’ll cart it. Hydration is the key and I spent 12 hours a day in temps to 113 fishing so 4 hours of golf is not an issue.

I used to be willing to play in anything, but I draw the line these days at 95 and dew point over 70. A concession to age and health. Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that choice a lot around here.

My thoughts exactly. Probably helps being in Montana but hey, I'm golfing as much as possible regardless of how hot it is
Exactly! I will carry with an incredibly heavy stand bag full of water before I decide not to play.

I used to be willing to play in anything, but I draw the line these days at 95 and dew point over 70. A concession to age and health. Fortunately for me, I don't have to make that choice a lot around here.

Thursday looks like the closest we'll get. Forecasted to be the hottest day of the year, so far. I'm playing 9 holes at 5:30 pm on Thursday. Nice leisurely walk after seriously hydrating beforehand.

As other have said, it's the humidity that gets me. Being a West Texas boy Austin is bad enough but I can't imagine playing in Houston during the summer. I actually remember back in high school that I played one morning after a rain and it was around 90 and humid. A few days later I played with my dad in Vegas and it said it was 112 when we got finished. They had plenty of water and a slight breeze and that felt cooler than the morning round in Abilene a few days before. I'd say that about as high as I would go. Don't know that I want to brave the 115+ temps in Arizona.

One thing to consider:

I’ve found, for my body anyway, that hydration starts the day before the round.

If I know I’m gonna be out in the heat the next day, then I will hit a few more glasses of water the day before and make sure to moderate the alcohol as well. Morning of the round I’ll have a cup of coffee but switch to water immediately after that.

All of that is intended to ensure that I START the round well hydrated and then just maintain it rather than trying to play catch-up.

Friday here in STL it was mid-90s and humid, I drank 6 bottles of water and never had to relive myself, felt great thru all 18. Got up/down for par at the 500y par 5 18th.

I'll play in whatever heat/humidity there is if I have a purpose for it. Meaning if I have friends that want to play or some sort of event/tournament. Doubful that I'd go out solo on a Saturday afternoon by myself though.

Back