How hung up do you get ont he aesthetics of your clubs?

JB's comment about something possibly missing with my players iron's has me thinking how right he may be. My irons are on or off day to day, or even 9 to 9. I have day's where I'm straight as a string, but some days I find myself really having to concentrate on my head/arms positions, etc. I've not used GI's enough to know if their "forgiveness" would help in these areas, but am guessing so.

What I discovered through less than exhaustive testing was that for me, the more forgiving a club is, the lazier my swing becomes. I had reached a point where I was hitting inconsistently with just about anything I picked up. Then I decided to experiment... it was fortunate that I work at a golf course and could buy clubs at a bit over cost, and that I had money on the books from mens' club comps. Anyway I tried several irons at Golfsmith, then ordered what I liked best through the pro shop (not a policy I'm a fan of, but I've bought enough from Golfsmith over the years that I didn't feel too bad about it). It took some time but I finally started swinging better, and now I'm hitting these AP-2's better than I had any clubs in years. They still rattle my teeth on a misshit, so they give me the inspiration to swing better, and that seems to be working.

Maybe not the solution for everyone, but it worked for me so far. And it doesn't hurt that I just like looking at them, after more than 20 years of increasingly oversized and overly offset GI cast cavities.

I really liked the AP2's also. Very nice feel. Just a little too demanding for what I was looking for. Hmm I'm seeing a pattern of me liking pretty much every club I hit. I also looooooved the Diablo Forged's. Those will be mine with an impulse ebay purchase one of these days.

That is exactly what I was going through Due. When I was on with the Pro Blacks it was awesome. Hitting the different shots was fun. It was on my off days that the struggles were just too much. I was not having any fun. My best rounds by far this year were with the blades. My worst rounds by far were also with the blades. My 2 rounds with the G15's have both been solid. Both I scored poorly but that is mainly because I'm usually hitting 3 from the fairway after having to pitch out from the woods because of a poor tee ball. I would think of looking at some GI's. Also remember that a lot of the GI clubs come stock with shafts that are not designed for better players. GI heads with the proper shafts are IMO the perfect club

That is because the hook usually has NOTHING to do with the offset of the club. That is manufactured by people who believe that it is a crutch. The same people talk about how distance is all about stronger lofts in irons. Yet they are forgetting that offset changes the playable loft in an iron by multiple degrees. I study what people play through both our forum and other areas. I ponder spilt sets for many reasons, but most notably why? Most golfers do NOT work the ball (on purpose) with their short irons. Heck most amateurs have no reason to. From inside 150, pin placement would usually be the only indicator and with that high of a ball flight, it should be no problem anyway.

Then add the fact that most GI irons nowadays can be moved with no issues and I think most know why sets are chosen. Again, just my opinion, but most people's thoughts on offset is purely about what they consider skill level. Yet wouldnt ONSET be the exact same as OFFSET? Both should be considered crutches for certain misses, yet you will NEVER hear anybody complain about the other one. Which clearly shows what the beliefs are.

Lots of great info guys. I'm at Golfsmith right now having a shaft tiped for me R9 and may get to hiy a few irons in the process, but not really too worried about it. I'll be hitting a bunch this winter and then at the outing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Got a indoor winter spot picked out due?

I guess I am one of the rare few that could care less what a club looks like. I would game a shaft with a piece of poo on the end of it if it gave me better results. But I think that is a good thing. It just gives me more options.

I really dont care. I guess I prefer a medium topline, just because that's what I'm hitting now and used to looking down at during setup. But I'll grab a buddy's blade and hit it no problemo, or same with a SGI. Honestly, my next set of irons will be whatever is best for my game, no other prejudice.

I DO take pride in the appearance of my clubs. I like my bag organized a certain way, clubs are always clean. I especially take pride after they've taken a bath.

Got a indoor winter spot picked out due?

Well, there's a Golf USA about 25 miles away that I can get to once or twice a week. They have a huge hitting bay with the screen and all your numbers, plus the guy there is said to give some pretty solid lessons. So, I hope to spend plenty of time there waiting on the ground to thaw, lol.

What I discovered through less than exhaustive testing was that for me, the more forgiving a club is, the lazier my swing becomes. I had reached a point where I was hitting inconsistently with just about anything I picked up. Then I decided to experiment... it was fortunate that I work at a golf course and could buy clubs at a bit over cost, and that I had money on the books from mens' club comps. Anyway I tried several irons at Golfsmith, then ordered what I liked best through the pro shop (not a policy I'm a fan of, but I've bought enough from Golfsmith over the years that I didn't feel too bad about it). It took some time but I finally started swinging better, and now I'm hitting these AP-2's better than I had any clubs in years. They still rattle my teeth on a misshit, so they give me the inspiration to swing better, and that seems to be working.

Maybe not the solution for everyone, but it worked for me so far. And it doesn't hurt that I just like looking at them, after more than 20 years of increasingly oversized and overly offset GI cast cavities.

Me playing a club like that would be like the old time medical 'shock' therapy. Lots of pain but very little results. Of course- It would hurt when I miss hit, but I fail to see how that helps me swing better. A math teacher can tell me I got the problem wrong in as painful/embarrassing way as possible- but if he doesn't show me the right way to do the problem it doesn't do my any good. A golf club can't teach you to swing (unless it is a tour striker!)

Perhaps I just don't have the swing to play such a club- but for me blades just hurt. They don't "make me swing better" or challenge me. I struggle enough without being told every swing that my game sucks!

I couldn't care less what the clubs look like in my bag, but I do want to be able to look down on the club at setup and like what I see....not because it's aesthetically "pretty", but because it's a club I have confidence in. You could put the most beautiful, aesthetically-perfect tour blade you've ever seen in my hands and I'm going to be dripping sweat and shaking like a leaf when I address a ball with it because I know my game isn't up to hitting tour blades. I'd be more comfortable looking down at a nice, forgiving SGI club with a lime green shaft and 80's neon-colored head! So for me, it's got to be a club I'm comfortable with and feel good about - if it happens to be aesthetically beautiful, that's just icing on the cake. If it helps my game I'll learn to love (or at least accept) how it looks.

Interesting thread. I like a club to look like it will do the job it is supposed to do (or like I can do the job with it that I am supposed to do) while I am over the ball.

My irons look nice at address, but I don't care for their looks when they are in the bag.

I have trouble looking at higher lofted (say 20* and up) hybrids and FW woods. They just look at me wrong while I am over the ball. I don't know why, and I can overcome it, though it requires some mental effort on my part.

With some of the larger mallet putters, especially when they have a bent shaft, I just cannot see what I am supposed to do with the thing. The ghost with the hole in it is an example of that, even though it is designed with features that are supposed to visually help.

As long as the shot looks good, I don't care. Although I don't care for skymarks on my driver (which I have none of yet :angel:.)

I have to like the look of my clubs. I won't wear clothes I don't like the look of. :)

ps: I know, I shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition...my apologies.

if i can only hit em fat or thin; or off the toe and heel. And with worm burners and skyballs that go nowhere.
It really doesn't matter.
It's only that they look good for the WITB photos.

Last edited:
If looks didn't matter in golf, vibrant golf would not be around.

Going custom through stampings, shafts, and finishing is far different in my opinion to club head size, top lines, offset, etc....

Going custom through stampings, shafts, and finishing is far different in my opinion to club head size, top lines, offset, etc....

Definitely, I just feel that customization is included in aesthetics. Not just what you like to look down at.

I like for my clubs to look good but,when i am standing over a ball i dont even notice how thick the top line is or any of that stuff.I guess i am more concentrated on the ball than all of that.Here is a little story,back when i first got my Di7's i didnt know much about golf all i knew was that i hit them on a launch monitor and i instantly loved them.I had been playing with them for around four weeks and,i played a round with a buddy of mine.It was the first time i had played with him since i got the Di7's and,he is a good player i think his handicap is 2 or 3.Anyway he wanted to hit my Di7's and,see if i got some good sticks or not.He had my 8 iron and,was teeing off on a par 3 he hit the ball and almost got a hole in one.So i asked him if he liked them and,he said yes they feel great but,i just could not get used to that fatshaft and no hosel.I didnt know what he was talking about until he showed me.I had been playing with them for almost a month and,i never once noticed that they had fatshafts and,no hosel LOL.I am like that with all my clubs except the putter i want a nice blade or atleast something that isnt huge,i want a nice simple tight desighned putter.

Visual appeal is important if it helps you line up your grip, stance, etc. But the best visual appeal is the ball sailing straight down the fairway.

Back