How Impactful Is Golf Equipment On Your Handicap?

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In the last couple of years, we’ve seen YouTubers posting videos of old tech vs new tech with results...in some cases...being shockingly similar. It begs the question, how much impact does new tech have on your handicap and overall play?
Obviously fitting matters, but how does a bag you were custom fit into 6 years ago (hypothetical) compare versus a bag you are currently rocking?
Do draw biased drivers actual fix the slice?
Have you seen your handicap drop with new equipment or is your swing primarily responsible for changes in your play?

1585759023267.gif

My clubs tend to overstay their welcome by a few years, so typically when I upgrade I’m getting a significant boost. For the irons that’s a good thing. For the driver it means I’m a few yards further in the wrong direction.

Following because I have never had a full fitting & interested to hear others opinions.

Huge question mark for me.

I had my handicap drop with new equipment (unfitted). How much of that is gear, or the fact that my usage went way up.

Posed a similar question about if fitted gear equaled a drop in handicap a while back.

As far as the draw biased driver question. In my experience no. Swing fixed my slice, not a club designed to do so (and I tried for years lol)

I'm pretty sure I could take my clubs from 1 year ago, (10 year old driver, 20 year old irons, one wedge and $25 putter) and be within a stroke or two.

My current swing flaws are nondiscriminatory for technology.

My handicap is actually fractionally higher than a year ago when I had a 10 year old driver, 20 year old irons and 1 wedge. Transitioning to completely different technology and swing changes has something to do with that though. Also, I think my game travels much better now despite handicap being the same at home course.

In the last couple of years, we’ve seen YouTubers posting videos of old tech vs new tech with results...in some cases...being shockingly similar. It begs the question, how much impact does new tech have on your handicap and overall play?
Obviously fitting matters, but how does a bag you were custom fit into 6 years ago (hypothetical) compare versus a bag you are currently rocking?
Do draw biased drivers actual fix the slice?
Have you seen your handicap drop with new equipment or is your swing primarily responsible for changes in your play?
I completely believe any bag within the last 10 to maybe 15 years old I would play alright with, and probably score roughly similar. The biggest difference for me would be the woods. But iron play and wedge play wouldn't be impacted probably much at all, based on the ones I play now, so as long as I'm getting off the tee I wouldn't have an issue.

Now you go much further than that, before the COR was raised with drivers and everything, then it might be a solid amount different off the tee and long shots.

However, I do believe the higher average score you go up for people, increases the likelihood for scores to go up even further with older gear. Kinda depends on what you play now though.

When I fist got into golf I was playing some knock off, off brand TaylorMade Rocketballz, I think they were called "Turners" from a place in jersey. Played those for 4 years and then finally got some brand new TaylorMade Rsi1's. My handicap improved 2-3 strokes for sure. Now I am not sure whether that has to do with the clubs, or just more experience and practice. I will say, I hit the new sticks farther and straighter than those old knock offs.

View attachment 8934797

My clubs tend to overstay their welcome by a few years, so typically when I upgrade I’m getting a significant boost. For the irons that’s a good thing. For the driver it means I’m a few yards further in the wrong direction.

This. So much this. I will say, though, the move from M1 440 to M5 was a pleasant change.

Club helping with a slice all depends on how you're getting your slice. A swing path slice will not be corrected much, if at all. They really do more for pushes than slices, because they are aimed to help close the face. Can't fix swing path with face angle.

I think you need decent tools, but the most of all is sound practice and playing the game. For me, my handicap improves when I practice smart and play golf. Just like I won't use a junk hammer to drive nails, I won't use junk golf clubs to play golf.

just switched from 1990's clubs to new fitted clubs; only keeping my putter 1988 vintage and a persimmon 5 wood too pretty to remove from the bag and I feel like it's a new world. The new irons are amazingly better. The new driver only minimally so.

My gear changed as I took things more seriously and focused on it more, so there's a lot of effort involved in the handicap improvement. That said, it took immediate and significant jumps as a direct result of equipment upgrades, imo. Upgraded from nonfit, but decent older irons to newer ones that fit better - cap cut in half. Upgrade those irons to even better fitting irons for me - cut in half again. Better wedges for conditions I play and dedicated practice - scrambling percentage takes off and cap improves again. Same with driver, but less impactful. Just a little longer, mostly. In the best driver setup I've had currently, and results are good, but have also worked on swing changes to improve that as well.

So I can't say anything about fit for fit comparisons, but new and better fit can be huge I think. Minimize swing faults, maximize potential to score well.

I don't have a slice, so I don't know. Draw bias drivers can definitely make draws worse though, so..

My irons and wedges "Cleveland CBX's" are so forgiving they without a doubt helped my handicap. Thanks THP and Cleveland!

I would say switching to premium balls has helped a lot as well. I was using cheaper balls and was getting very inconsistent backspin and it was affecting the rollout on greens I was expecting. Once I switched to premium balls, the backspin numbers increased to their proper spin for each club and its much easier to judge rollout or backspin depending on green and distance to green. Thus scores drop, and handicap drops.

Huge question mark for me.

I had my handicap drop with new equipment (unfitted). How much of that is gear, or the fact that my usage went way up.

Posed a similar question about if fitted gear equaled a drop in handicap a while back.

As far as the draw biased driver question. In my experience no. Swing fixed my slice, not a club designed to do so (and I tried for years lol)
My experience was the same with driver. Now I a miss right is a shock. It was all swing. I will say my current combo has surprisingly been more forgiving on more significant center hits but it won’t cure a dummy swing.

Y
just switched from 1990's clubs to new fitted clubs; only keeping my putter 1988 vintage and a persimmon 5 wood too pretty to remove from the bag and I feel like it's a new world. The new irons are amazingly better. The new driver only minimally so.
Your journey will be interesting to follow considering the gap in technologies.

Draw bias drivers can definitely make draws worse though, so..
I know this all too well. Even with some new more forgiving and “neutral” heads.

I got properly fit for my irons a couple of years back. Hit the ball much better. I get a much better flight now I’ve been properly fit. The Ping G410 driver is working for me better than any driver I’ve had. I’m getting a little more distance, and again a much better flight. My putter has filled me with confidence m, especially on those putts around the 6 foot mark. And yet...... my handicap hasn’t gone down LOL

2010 bag here. Pretty sure I would do ok with this setup:

1585760830964.png

1585760875948.png

1585760773946.png

1585760912487.png

1585760995431.png

I believe that I could get my handicap to drop with short game and putting practice.

I think new equipment usually helps my handicap because it lights a fire and gets me playing more and practicing. I absolutely love my new clubs and it is making me want to swing them more. I think I hit them better than the last set that I was meticulously fitted for, but that was a set from 2007. I also feel that I am hitting them better than my set purchased last year, but I wasn’t fit for those.

Last edited:
Good question. I can't know for certain but expect that having equipment that fits my game and body/swing saves me a couple of strokes per round on average. That's a big deal. The golf gods don't give up strokes easily in my experience. I also get big enjoyment from equipment. That's a nice benefit.

I think it's a blend of confidence, comfort, and swing variables.

Do I think I'd fare well with something built from 2015? Of course.
Do I think changing on the fly to accommodate things will benefit even more? Definitely.

I don't think it has a huge impact since I do not practice... pretty much at all. I think I have just about the same chance to shoot similar scores if I am playing my Taylormade Speedblades vs. my Apex's. I will get better the more I play/practice.... not because of the tech available.

Logic tells me that no, most equipment won't help my game. Practice will.
Ego tells me that new clubs are all I need to shoot in the high 80's. From the low 100's.

Will a driver baised for a draw cure a slice? Not fully. It can help.
I started playing the Bridgestone e6. It was touted as having side spin control. I know that it helped tame my slice to a small degree.

More forgiveness in clubs for crummy players like me is a boon! It gives us the ability to get the ball airborne faster on its way into the woods, rough, or hazard.:ROFLMAO:

But I still want new clubs. :cool:

I think if you are looking at a big gap in years then it will have an impact. Your example of six years I would expect a pretty significant increase in driver performance, particularly in forgiveness. Irons I'm not convinced will be a huge change outside of some distance gains with stronger lofts and slightly better forgiveness. If a person is chasing big improvements year over year though I don't think you're going to gain much.

I'd love to experiment by putting together an older bag of clubs I loved from the past to see how I play compared to my last couple of seasons. I'll have to keep my eyes open in the future for deals.

Back