How Important is Consistent Ball Position?

Started a new thread with this one as it is a great question.

I would say it is pretty darn important! It is key to getting consistent roll and consistent start line on putts.

Great question!
You know, it's not something I have ever payed attention to. I tend to think about it in a full swing setup, but you would think in putting it is just as important as alignment. 🤔

Maybe that explains some of my putting inconsistencies

It's very important IMO. The obvious impact is inconsistent striking of the ball on the green. I think the unobvious problem it can create is constantly changing the perspective of the golfers eyes with the aiming line on the putter which can lead to hitting the ball to a different spot than we think we are aiming.

It's extremely important. If you're not consistent in that aspect I'm not sure how you can have any kind of consistent in general. I imagine the ball would roll differently each time which could lead to distance control or speed issues.

For myself I know I set the ball up forward of where I probably should but I know it's consistent so I can work with it. I know what to expect every time.

I’ve never even considered changing the ball position in putting. I always keep it in the same place.

During a THP event we discussed ball position and how important finding the exact right location for your eyes and stance were to making the correct contact and hitting straighter putts. We all know how just a few millimeters off at the start of the putt will decrease the chances of making it in the hole as the distance increases. Having the correct and consistent ball position is imperative for putting on the correct line to start.

Last edited:
It is amazing what moving your ball position a "half a ball" to a "ball" can do to a putting stroke. Just that little bit can make you start to guess during a putting stroke.

Personally, I find ball and head position to be the most important parts of rolling consistent putts. If either of those factors are off it will cause variables in your stroke that your brain and hands will try to compensate for.

With everything in golf set up and ball position is critical. If it isn't correct adjustments will need to be made in the stroke. In theory it should be easiest with the putter as the club is shortest and the lie is the most consistent of anything on the course. I never see amateurs practice it though. If you go to a pro event every pro practices set up at some point just like they do with the full swing. I am definitely guilty of it as well. I have been using one of those putting mirrors this winter to practice at home and plan to bring it to the course once they open up.

If the golfer wants to make more putts, it's important.

The golfer can have the best putting stroke in the world, but if the ball is in the wrong place at contact, the ball is not going roll to where the golfer wants it to roll.

It is super important to me, and on top of that i want my stance to be the exact same also. I got a little Bryson in me though. I have this whole sequence I go through on the putting green warming up.

I take the club back face to inside of my shoe and hit 5 balls on flat terrain. I do the same thing to the middle of my shoe. And then finally to the outside of my shoe. I then step them off and use that to understand how fast my greens are. So I'll mark something in my brain like "inside of shoe is 5 paces". So when I hit my green and am inside 15' or so I can step it off, and if it's 6 paces I know my putting back stroke is about middle of my shoe. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm a 30 handicap and often average a 2 putt. Last round was 1.8 per hole, so I like my strategy. It's really helped me because I don't have the "feel" quite yet, so I needed some form of strategy that is measurable.

None of that works if I don't have the ball position and stance the exact same every time.

The entire setup is important.

But you need consistent ball position.

At the same time, width of feet can affect stroke, whether the weight is more on the front foot or not will affect stroke.

Once you find a setup that works, stick with it and keep checking it each time at the practice range.

Hugely important for me. My stock swing can result in a great shot, or a really poor shot, based on ball position, and it really doesn't need to be that much of a difference. One or two balls too out of the right spot will end up with a really poor shot.

Luckily, I've learned ot back off when I think the position is wrong.

Extremely important. When things go awry for me on the green, that is the first thing I check. I have a tendency to let ball position creep too far up in my stance.

Evaluating the question, I probably know it's extremely important. However, do I do any drills to ensure consistent ball placement for every putt? No. I just walk up to what I feel is a comfortable putting position and go. Almost like it would be really good to have a visual aid to help ensure a consistent placement ooooohhhhhhhh..........I see what you're doing @seemoreputters. Haven't tried Seemore yet, but I'll give them a look next time I go to roll the new and shineys.

It is interesting reading all these comments regarding putting and the importance of ball position. I agree it’s critical.

I’m surprised and maybe I’m just unaware I know Callaway had the red ball putter that helped you get alignment from a specific position but is there something else there that helps you ensure that you have the putter in the absolute correct position i.e. forward or backwards in your stance. I don’t recall the details of the Callaway red ball putter i’m not sure if it’s for ball position forward/aft or distance from your body. Maybe somebody else knows.

That to me is the most critical part of the ball position because my tendency is for the ball to creep back in my stance whereas the optimal positioning for me is more towards my left heel or under my left eye.

I’d argue consistent ball position is critical to every club other bag. It alters the type of swing, stroke or setup needed IMO.

If its not in the same spot everytime aligned properly, your eyes will see the line different than it actually is. And your putting numbers will show that.

How does one achieve consistent ball position is my question. You can try to get it in the same place but if a half ball makes that much difference I would think you want it closer to the same spot than that.

not a fan of the be better golf guy, but I am of Mike Malaska. This is how I try to understand it, if your eyes are not seeing the correct line, putting will be hard;

How does one achieve consistent ball position is my question. You can try to get it in the same place but if a half ball makes that much difference I would think you want it closer to the same spot than that.
Something like RST

It is interesting reading all these comments regarding putting and the importance of ball position. I agree it’s critical.

I’m surprised and maybe I’m just unaware I know Callaway had the red ball putter that helped you get alignment from a specific position but is there something else there that helps you ensure that you have the putter in the absolute correct position i.e. forward or backwards in your stance. I don’t recall the details of the Callaway red ball putter i’m not sure if it’s for ball position forward/aft or distance from your body. Maybe somebody else knows.

That to me is the most critical part of the ball position because my tendency is for the ball to creep back in my stance whereas the optimal positioning for me is more towards my left heel or under my left eye.

👋 - click here.

Back