How is your course’s drainage/irrigation?

OITW

Reaction score
My course posted these insta pics/video from earlier today.

Due to the heavy amount of rain we’ve received. They redid the drainage/irrigation 5/6 years and significantly improved it.

(Course is a muni that is on a hill so the low areas get really wet when we get a lot of rain, flipside with the drought this year course stayed in great shape compared to other local courses)

How is your course’s drainage/irrigation

Both our local courses have great drainage systems. Both are built on south sloping terrain. In fact the whole town drains easily either south, or north, as it sits on a hill.

Plus, the native ground is also porous which also helps to get rid of excess water.

Irrigation is in tip top shape. The courses are owned by the city, which basically has an (grandfathered) unlimited supply of water. I believe the courses' management companies still pay a water bill back to the city, but it's really cheap. Just my unlimited use water bill is only $8 bucks a month.

Last edited:
Yup pretty much on par with yours @OITW .. Theres a lot of water on the back 9 and even a small rainfall will leave a lot of water the next day

Yup pretty much on par with yours @OITW .. Theres a lot of water on the back 9 and even a small rainfall will leave a lot of water the next day

if you have dry conditions though it usually stays pretty green right?

Abundance of clay in the soil tends to make drainage poor. Course tends to be a little on the wet side during rainy times or after snow melt early in the season.

We had a couple issues this year with the water source being dammed up at the same time that one of our pumps died, so things got a bit burned out but the course bounced back at the end of the year and has been great. One or two areas tend to get a bit dry due to hills, but the rest of the course holds up well.

Greens and tees are in fantastic shape all the time.

if you have dry conditions though it usually stays pretty green right?
I mean I guess so.. its a cheap public course so they don't put too much into it, and people kind of beat it up. I had high hopes this spring since they had a couple months to work on it but it was basically the same 💩

Course drainage tee to green is generally very good. Except for the bunkers.

Terrible, awful, couldn't use enough words to describe how bad. Drains are all clogged so they'll retain water for prolonged periods of time.

But...

They will be addressing them one by one. The one that was recently completed on #3 is fantastic. Drains immediately even in the hardest rains, sand dries out very quickly. Cannot wait for that to become the course standard.

Granite Links has a phenomenal drainage system. I don't know how hey do it but I don't think i've encountered standing water on the course even the day after the fiercest storm. The may keep it cart path only for a day or two but after that it's business as normal.

My home course’s drainage is not good enough for the amount of rain we have had this year. We haven’t had a full course or ability to use push carts on all fairways in months. Months.

My home course is pretty solid when it comes to drainage. The executive course I play regularly, not so much. A lot of low areas that collect standing water.

Excellent drainage at both of the courses I frequent. The ones in Northern MN near our cabin have all sand a couple of feet below the top soil and you can get an inch of rain quickly from a big thunderstorm and they will send carts out on the entire course an hour or less later. Some of the golf course architects around here took advantage of it and just carved out the topsoil to expose the natural sand waste areas without having to haul any in. It makes for some great definition and interesting holes.

These are from Deacon’s Lodge at Breezy Point resort.

1223E410-ED5E-4858-B943-95A6999306C7.jpeg5E2E8816-3520-4D98-80F5-0BA04C04D8F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Back