How is your sand game?

i guess i just think the greenside bunker is the easiest shot because you don't have to hit it perfectly. there's a massive margin for error. every other shot in golf requires precision of contact.

and i'd say the up-and-down stat is misleading. not every up-and-down is equal. it probably counts chutts and very simple chips from the collar, whereas bunker shots typically have very similar degrees of difficulty.

check. mate.
I repeat - "any future arguments, statements, and anything that even remotely makes sense coming from you is considered null and void"

Take your perfectly rational and logical **** somewhere else.

I'm with you man. Sand isn't near as hard as people make it.

Loving the exchange….but green side bunkers have similar degrees of difficulty?

View attachment 9016573

Fairway bunkers are harder to hit out of for me cause you need to pick it clean / thin almost to get a decent amount of distance.

As for greenside, I like to dig in, open up and take a big swipe 3" behind the ball or with a square / closed face for a longer shot.....

I'm probably in the minority here, but we don't have many sand traps here and I wish we did. It's a part of my game that I only game to practice when traveling, which does wonders for my confidence out of bunkers as you can imagine. :ROFLMAO:

Fairway bunkers are harder to hit out of for me cause you need to pick it clean / thin almost to get a decent amount of distance.

As for greenside, I like to dig in, open up and take a big swipe 3" behind the ball or with a square / closed face for a longer shot.....
My naive approach to a fairway bunker......Hit the ball first. Take your medicine and choose enough loft to clear what ever lip you have in front of you.....Hit the ball first. remember any advance of the ball towards the hole is good.

For me, green side that requires elevation and distance are the most challenging.

Weakest part of my game... (greenside, not fairway bunkers).

I don't really think about my sand game.

If I had to pick I would B- only because of the mid range bunker shots (40-120yds) seem to give me problems

Loving the exchange….but green side bunkers have similar degrees of difficulty?

View attachment 9016573
Hell, I'd gladly take that shot - at least that bunker has sand in it! There's not a single bunker on my home course that looks anywhere near that good.

I don't mind playing in the sand from time to time. Though I would appreciate some consistency on the same course. Nothing I hate more than one being completely different from another...well maybe this could apply to greens as well but you get my point.

I’m steadily getting better at it. League last night I was 2/2 on sand saves but that was a anomaly. But I’m not worried if I hit into one.

Not sure why but my sand game is cyclical. Stretches where I'm very good and full of confidence greenside and from fairway traps and then stretches where it's just gone? Average it all out and I'm probably a little above average given my handicap.

Actually not that bad. I'm not saying I'm out and 1 putt everytime but probably 40 to 45%. I'll take the sand over thick green side rough everytime.

Pretty good green side, terrible from fairway bunkers

Hell, I'd gladly take that shot - at least that bunker has sand in it! There's not a single bunker on my home course that looks anywhere near that good.
Not my home course. ;)

I'm with you though....for living in a desert, one would think we'd have sand in our bunkers. :ROFLMAO:

Decent green side and not so decent fairway, I always seem to not pick it clean and it only goes a short distance. I dont have a place to really practice that as well.

a fairway bunker I'm like a D-. I get out but don't advance it nearly as far as I need to. Greenside I'm good if the sand is consistant. We have been without normal sand since covid now we get mixed conditions. During covid we were basically on dirt.

I really enjoy playing out of the sand in conditions I am familiar with.

That in mind, I have significant internal rage when the sand I play out of is inconsistent... Super shallow or fluffy bunker to bunker. Oof.

When it's consistent, I think my play is solid.

So true. Inconsistent bunkers are probably the worst of any course related thing.

I've never had trouble form sand. It has always been "the easiest shot in golf" for me.

I'd take a bunker over rough, 10/10.

Due to COVID and the bunker maintenance project that my club has been undertaking for the last 18 months, we have not played out of bunkers much, but a lot of them are back in play now and I have found a few in the last couple of rounds

Greenside - it is very rare that I don't get the ball out of the bunker, but proximity to the pin is not something I have got under control, so I need more practice there. Last night I found one of the nastier bunkers on our par 3 7th hole (sucker pin behind it) and was very close to the face, but I just opened up my 58° and made sure I got it out of there

Fairway - these have been a bit of a problem for me as I have a habit of hitting them fat and not getting any distance, but lately I have got better at picking the ball cleaner. At the weekend I found the bunker around 80yds from the 15th green, with water short of the green so I had to make sure I got a good contact, and it might have been a bit longer than I wanted but I hit the green

Greenside bunkers I've actually become pretty darn good out of. The PM Grind has been an absolute game changer for me with those shots.

Fairway bunkers I'm a dumpster fire. I don't understand why I can't figure it out but I'm terrible.

The absolute worst are those 30-50 yard bunker shots. I may as well just take an unplayayable. I'm a mess on those.

Not good...at all. I have no one to blame but myself as I've never practiced bunker play. There is only one facility I know of that has a bunker practice area and it's not very close to me.

I don't fear them nor do I find them often, because my iron game is decent.

But when I do I don't try to finesse them out with a flick of the match, too risky with the types of sand we run into as amateurs, small misses can have terrible results like watching the ball sail over the green into the woods.

I prefer to excavate, really lean into the sand under the ball and just get it out, I use a Callaway Sure Out 2 which works great for this method, and rarely have a problem.

My fairway bunker game is strong for my cap, but greenside bunkers are a weakness. I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be, where I'd routinely leave the ball in the bunker or blade it way over the green - hey @Molten remember Dubsdread? :beat-up: - but I'm still not converting nearly enough saves from greenside sand. It needs work, which I've had very little time for lately.

I'd rate my play from fairway bunkers as very good! In greenside bunkers I have been atrocious, either chunking one or picking it clean but recently I feel I have advanced to just mediocre. I am now generally getting out and on the green in one and I have even had a couple of sand saves recently.

it exists...it can vary

I’ve gotten confident that I will be on the green almost 100% of the time from green side bunkers.
For some reason I can get it closer from being short sided vs an across the green bunker shot.

Not very confident out of fairway bunkers since I am not in them very ofter

My fairway bunker game is strong for my cap, but greenside bunkers are a weakness. I'm nowhere near as bad as I used to be, where I'd routinely leave the ball in the bunker or blade it way over the green - hey @Molten remember Dubsdread? :beat-up: - but I'm still not converting nearly enough saves from greenside sand. It needs work, which I've had very little time for lately.
Oh, I remember it. I now make sure I’m out of the sand, regardless of if I’m close. Still not my strength.

Back