How is your sand game?

So I try to avoid it? Yes haha. Is it because I’m bad or afraid of it? No.

I’m a pretty decent green side bunker player. I won’t say I leave easy1 putts, but I will typically give myself at least a good look 75% of the time and I get out and onto the green for at least some type of putt 95% of the time. Those few times I leave myself another shot typically come from be being too cute or just plain lazy haha.

fairway bunker wise, I feel like I’m very good at in terms of getting good contact and back into a legitimate playing position. Whether that’s in the green or back into the fairway/ advancing the ball a good ways.

Always been pretty happy and confident out of the sand…. After watching @Afizzle2100 this weekend spinning balls back out of bunkers… I’ve got a lot to learn!

hey @Afizzle2100 - how you do that???

A lot better than it was before Saturday!

Always been pretty happy and confident out of the sand…. After watching @Afizzle2100 this weekend spinning balls back out of bunkers… I’ve got a lot to learn!

hey @Afizzle2100 - how you do that???

unfortunately, the secret is you have to hit in as many bunkers as I do to practice :ROFLMAO: Just triple the amount of times you hit in the bunkers and you will have it down in no time :geek:

if there is a bunker around the green, it’s my miss. I felt I’ve always had a very good sand game.

unfortunately, the secret is you have to hit in as many bunkers as I do to practice :ROFLMAO: Just triple the amount of times you hit in the bunkers and you will have it down in no time :geek:

How is my sand game? Well…

I need more work on bunkers with little sand or hard packed sand
Come on out and play my home course, you'll get plenty of practice at those kind of conditions! :ROFLMAO: They're hard packed and often muddy - I'm not sure what the greenskeepers are trying to grow in our bunkers, but they seem to get more water than the grass around them.

How is my sand game? Decent enough I guess. I usually get out. May not always go where I want but it's out. 😁

On several occasions my wife's ball has been on the green and I'm in the bunker...and she wants to trade outcomes without seeing my shot.

My green side game is pretty good, I typically get out every time and my save percentage is pretty good. Fairway bunkers are another story, I was doing very well last year but I have probably only been in two or three this year and for whatever reason I just have had a little bit too much body movement and hasn’t gone as well as I hoped. I don’t practice either shots I just try to avoid as much as possible but of the two, green side is where I am most comfortable.

When I was a junior player, retrospectively, I was a superb bunker player. I had quite high confidence of getting up and down. I hit confident, committed splash shots that hopped and stopped. The older I’ve got the less confidence I have. It started when I played regularly at a course with very poor bunkers - very little sand and weeds, stones etc. I think I need a lesson and some real practice to get back to where I was 10 years or more ago...

I feel like my sand game could be better if my course didn't have absolutely trash bunkers. Playground sand, and there's a ton of it. Your feet sink and slide if you shift your weight at all while you swing. It doesn't compact when its wet, so you can go right under the ball. Or it does and you bounce right off the surface and knife the ball. No consistency.

I'm a sand mixed bag. Greenside I am confident in my technique but have a hard time, at times, fully committing to the shot. I don't play out of bunkers enough to have that dialed in. Plus the bunkers on my home course are variable and firm. Hard to do much with that kind of sand. Fairway bunkers are improving. They used to crush me. If I club up with more of a 3/4 swing and focus on impacting the ball before sand, I can get out fairly well.

Fairway bunkers, piece of cake. Around the green, I can get out and that's about it.

I'm open to any pointers on this part of my game. I have said the last two rounds that if I'm hitting out of the sand I have zero idea what I'm trying to do.

How is my sand game? Decent enough I guess. I usually get out. May not always go where I want but it's out. 😁

Don't give me that.. your shot on 18 at Dubs was ridiculously good.. very little green running away to water.. anything but a very good bunker shot was wet and you came close to holing it!

It’s the best part of my game

If there is actually sand in the bunkers i a usually pretty decent. Places i usuay play dont usualy have the best bunkers so it is hit or miss.

I fear Greenside bunkers more than water hazards. I don’t know what I am doing there and the more I have tried to improve by watching videos, the worse it seems to have gotten. I took one bunker lesson months ago; we worked on my full swing first and he asked if there was anything I needed help with. I told him greenside bunkers and he said that it would be easy; after 20 minutes or so we decided to table it. I need to take another lesson.

I had a few up and downs recently, but it really is rare for me and more luck or good putting than anything I did in the bunker.

My sand game isn't good. It isn't terrible. I'm fine with it because I pretty much get out every time safely within two putt range. That is good enough for me.

@MattyD-MPLS two successful sand shots last night! I think I've turned a corner. Thank you sir!

Back