How is your sand game?

Sand game is one area that has actually improved (marginally) this year. I'm at least to the point now where I'm confident I can at least get out.

That is awesome! Can’t wait for you to hole a bunker shot!
That's one thing I have always wanted to do. Come close, but no cigar lol

My sand game blows. There are three reasons:
  • I have only one place to practice: My local golf store. They don't monitor usage, but I'm reluctant to use it unless I've paid for driving range time or bought something
  • I'm reluctant to beat the cr*p out of my wedges' faces in the sand
  • The sand (consistency, wetness, packed-ness) is different in every course I've so far played
Plan is to get the rest of my game straight, then I'll figure out how to deal with the beach problem :) I'll probably take personal lessons at the aforementioned LGS to get there.

The confidence keeps building @MattyD-MPLS ! I'm going to miss one eventually to bring me back down to earth but I'm riding the wave right now!

Well, 2 for 2 in sand saves today. But, um... that's not the usual.

Weak. I hit out of dry hardpan bunkers that play almost like a tight grass lie. Pitching off of hardpan... never an easy shot. Square LW, half swing, hope for the best.

Usually average but goes through periods of being absolutely trash. I will say it got a lot better after I stopped trying to play 'proper' sand shots out of firm sand (I just dig the leading edge behind the ball in such scenarios).

Like many others on here it depends on the bunker :)cool: cop out?). If there's good amount of sand and it's reasonably fluffy I do fine.

But hardpan bunkers or if there's only a few mm of sand that's no dice. That means I am barely getting over the lip or skulling it across the green.

Back