How Long Can You Continue to Improve?

7268081396_ba5b2a63f8_z.jpg

Mitch there is a huge gap between someone that has a grooved swing like a pro and an average golfer. Pros continue to improve because their mechanics are solid. Average golfers without this same action will have diminishing returns on their swing as they get older.

I often think about my playing the guitar. I have two good quality ones, took many lesson's and worked very hard on it. The bottom line is I have very little natural ability. It takes great finger dexterity along with a special connection between the finger and the brain. I am simply not gifted in the right area's to play great. I can play, but not great. David Gilmour on the other hand, has everything it takes to be what he is, world class. He is an anomaly in the world of guitar playing. No matter how hard I work and no matter how many hours or years I put in, I will never be that good.

Same can be said of golfers. The top players in the world are different than the rest of us. There are millions in golf like me with the guitar. It takes a fair amount of natural ability along with everything else to reach the top. Guys like Jack, Tiger, Phil and others, are a very rare thing. 1 in a million really.

I think it possible some will say they play thier best at older age can be due to couple reasons. Some may be able to play more than ever before thus improving simply because of more time playing and/or practicing. Also some might be playing much smarter, safer kind of golf and have finally learned to stop hitting yourself over the head with shots you have no business trying to make year after year with very little or hardly any success..

But I'd like to add a question pertaining to this thread. For those of you who have been there, done that. When (age wise) did you start to lose any distance? The point when the swing just slowed down even if one is in good physical health.

I think it possible some will say they play thier best at older age can be due to couple reasons. Some may be able to play more than ever before thus improving simply because of more time playing and/or practicing. Also some might be playing much smarter, safer kind of golf and have finally learned to stop hitting yourself over the head with shots you have no business trying to make year after year with very little or hardly any success..

But I'd like to add a question pertaining to this thread. For those of you who have been there, done that. When (age wise) did you start to lose any distance? The point when the swing just slowed down even if one is in good physical health.

I've lost a little distance at 51 and I'm still in pretty good shape overall. Not as flexible now as I was at thirty. Just look at the stats on the Champions tour versus the mens tour. It just happens. At the same time, my brother in law is 50 and he is bombing it right now. Not the same for everyone.

I've lost a little distance at 51 and I'm still in pretty good shape overall. Not as flexible now as I was at thirty. Just look at the stats on the Champions tour versus the mens tour. It just happens. At the same time, my brother in law is 50 and he is bombing it right now. Not the same for everyone.

yes i'm sure it different for everyone. Dont know how old you are now but I also wonder when at 51 if you could no lomger generate the speed or could it be more that you had just learned to slow it down and tame it a bit for acuracy. For myself, I'm 48 and thankfully still hit as long as when I was in my 20's. Its kind of bittersweet to think should I be able to play more as I get older which would be a positive but then also have to deal with the negative of losing some the ability at the same time. Perhaps even becoming better overall just by playing more evn though eventually losing distance. As with everything in life and the universe, for every positive there is a negative.

The above is a good point. I am having a hard time distinguishing between my body having an inability to swing as fast and my having learned that swinging a bit easier yields much better results. I think I could, probably, get close to the speed I swung as a kid but I simply cannot make myself go after it like that.
I usually swing a driver at arounf 100-105. Two years ago, after a round, they had the Bridgestone Cahllenge set up by the range as I walked by. I was warmed up, in golf shoes and it was a warm day. They measured me at 109.
But, when I go to a simulator , I never go higher than 105.

The above is a good point. I am having a hard time distinguishing between my body having an inability to swing as fast and my having learned that swinging a bit easier yields much better results. I think I could, probably, get close to the speed I swung as a kid but I simply cannot make myself go after it like that.
I usually swing a driver at arounf 100-105. Two years ago, after a round, they had the Bridgestone Cahllenge set up by the range as I walked by. I was warmed up, in golf shoes and it was a warm day. They measured me at 109.
But, when I go to a simulator , I never go higher than 105.

I dont know if a few MPH can just be the error from one to another device and like you said being warm could also help and swinging different clubs (being comfy with one vs another) can also factor in some too. But i agree and think we do get a little smarter with learning to swing what we can control even if that means slower or not full.

Back