How long do you keep your clubs?

Girardcorp

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a problem, I now go through clubs relatively quickly. I've averaged a new set of irons the last 3 years usually buying them late March/early April and selling them by October.

I've owned a couple putters for less than a month. I don't want to call it buyers remorse but sometimes things just don't live up to the hype or don't perform as expected. Anyone else have any short lived purchases they're willing to admit to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swap gear out WAY too often, and it has hurt my game. I'm working on keeping stuff longer, though. Baby steps :D

So far 1-2 years, not including clubs that were retained simply because I wasn't playing. This also varies by club type. Drivers and putters cam change like the wind. Wedges can change like the seasons. Irons can change on what feels like geologic time scales. My length of time used to base these declarations is ridiculously short. So, I don't think i would count my input as significant.

Depends. I usually keep my irons for a while, 5+ years in MOST cases. However, driver, woods, and wedges get swapped every other year or so. Putter depends on my mood. Could be 1 year, and I kept another one for over 10!

depends on the club wedges every year or so driver every other year my irons are 3 years old and will be out next spring

My irons are 14 years in the bag, need to replace with lighter shafts just can't bring myself to change. The driver and woods have been changed out last year. but they replaced 12 year old driver and woods, then there's 2 Cleveland wedges that are older than the irons, but I have been looking at new ones.

Wow, no wonder the hard goods maker are struggling.

Last edited:
To be honest, not very long normally. I like playing with the newest equipment even when it doesn't necessarily improve my game. I just like the new toys and the thoughts of what technology brings.

Currently I have been averaging new irons every year. Drivers, I'd rather not talk about way to many. 5 wood is the oldest. 3 years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This year I've changed out putter (about every 2 years) and fairways/hybrid (3 wood is a problem spot, had the 5W for almost 4 years). I think I'm done for 2016.

I change drivers about every 2 years and my irons are 4 years old. Wedges every 2-3 years.

I used to switch each year, but being part of #TheGrandaddy I'll keep my current set in play longer than normal.

I'll rotate putters and maybe look for a different driver, but everything else will remain for a while

Most clubs for about a year. Wedges usually two years

My last set lasted me almost 8 years. (3 seasons of actual playing) and I've still got some of them in my bag. I don't swap that often.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Had current clubs for a year now and don't really see a need for anything new. Figure I'll play them for about 3 years and then it may be time for something fresh

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Until I think I've found something I like better, or can hit better. Usually at least a year. I'll be playing my set now for longer than that, definitely another year.

Depends. I usually keep my irons for a while, 5+ years in MOST cases. However, driver, woods, and wedges get swapped every other year or so. Putter depends on my mood. Could be 1 year, and I kept another one for over 10!

I hear you. I had a set of Ping G2 that I played for almost 10 years. Now I average 6 months. I feel like I'm leading a car. If I sell off the irons before the end of the season I only pay 100-150 to play them and roll the remaining value into a new set.

Most clubs for about a year. Wedges usually two years

I feel like that's opposite of what every one says. Then again I don't think you can wear down a set of wedges in a year unless you play a lot!

I feel like that's opposite of what every one says. Then again I don't think you can wear down a set of wedges in a year unless you play a lot!

I have been a Cleveland guy for awhile and mixed in vokeys with the sm4 so I'm used to waiting every two years and I only play 20-30 rounds most years so yeah wearing out wedges wasn't an issue. Even with the amount if practicing I've been doing the last year or so I still don't feel like I would wear them out. With the new rtx coming I may be replacing wedges after one year

I've had my current set up for almost 2 full seasons. I'm not one to tinker with stuff like this, particularly when it's working as relatively well as it has been this year. I've recently gotten the itch to check out some new irons but we'll see :D

My last set of irons I had for 14 years. I actually still have them, even though I don't game them anymore.

~Rock

Nothing in my bag is much over a year old, most is less than 9 months, but I'm bound and determined to keep a lot of it in there and convince myself it's me and not the equipment. However, I wouldn't bet that anything other than the irons stay in the bag for more than a year or 2 tops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've had my current irons for 2 years but the set before for about 18. I don't expect my current sets (I have two more or less identical sets for different places) to last that long (I am playing more now than over the 18 years I had the prior set). My guess is they'll go for another 4 or so.

Driver probably goes 5-6 years once I get one that works which I am just finishing up now (M2).

Wedges 3 years or so.

Putter - once I find one I like it can go forever - I like the one I have now a lot so I can't ever see replacing it.

i have changed everything but my irons within a year irons are going on 5-6 years.

It's been documented on the site before, but I am playing a 5 year old driver and 3 wood, and 20 year old irons and putter. I am club loyal haha.

4-6 months is about how long I can last, the PTx will get a longer run due to them being a generous gift from THP and Ben Hogan and the fact they are awesome irons. Of course I am thinking of putting PX LZ steel shafts in them for a change of pace.

But new and shiny makes me smile and fun is what this trip is about. The Golf stays pretty much the same, up and down and sideways.

I have only owned 4 sets of irons in the time I have been playing. I played I3 blades for 4 years, MP53's for 4 years and Apex for the last 2 years I also own a set of MP54's.
I don't turn clubs over very often, and would probably be still playing the 53's if it weren't for the Grandaddy.

I was playing a SLDR before the Grandaddy and thank my lucky starts that I didn't own it for that long... ha.

My SeeMore has been in my bag for 3 years?

Back