How long do you keep your vehicle

Second to last trade in had 254K and 15 years.

Last was 4 years and 76k.

This one took the lifetime warranty on it. Will be a while.

Always make out better than a lease due to mileage obviously, but also work it to limit the new STB price drop off the lot.

I like to keep things that work well. 1997 LandRover Defender 90, since 11/96, 165K miles, and a
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The Jeeps they're building now are really different than ones made in late '80's-2010, not for the better either. I'll keep a car forever if I enjoy driving it, and it lets me.

I like to keep things that work well. 1997 LandRover Defender 90, since 11/96, 165K miles, and a
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The Jeeps they're building now are really different than ones made in late '80's-2010, not for the better either. I'll keep a car forever if I enjoy driving it, and it lets me.
Those mid 90s defenders were so awesome. Post up some pics!!

Edit: and apparently worth some good money these days! I saw one with 127k mild go for $79k recently!

We usually keep our cars for 10 years+ or until maintenance gets out of control. My wife’s car will be 14 years old next June, we bought 2 years’ old with 20K. We hope to get another 2 years out of it, currently has 150K miles on it.

My personal car (2 years old) I bought used in February this year as my 7 year old BMW engine blew up with 70K miles (engine defect, class action law suit) so BMW ponied up part of the cost (don’t ask) and I traded it in within 2 months once I found the vehicle, age with low mileage. My plan is to drive this for 250K miles. I just hate monthly car payments.

Usually 2-3 years. I get bored pretty easily, and like to look for new things. My GT-S only lasted a year, even though it was an awesome car. If I were single I would have held onto it for quite a while.

I don't like debt so I tend to keep them. Paid my current '16 (bought end of '15) Jetta off in '17 and it's currently got 73,000 miles on it. I just bought tires with a 60k mile warranty, so I plan to keep it at least another 60k miles. Ideally, I'd keep it until 200k+ if all stays good with the car. There's far better things to do with cash than car payments.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I keep mine until they hit 200,000 miles. I prefer to not have a car payment and once I get a vehicle that I like, I dont like to change. My '15 Honda Accord currently has just over 120K on it and will be paid off in the spring. Im very much looking forward to not having a car payment for hopefully at least a few years.

I get the itch for something new at about the 3 to 3.5 year mark. As it stands right now, I keep telling myself that I will keep my S4 for awhile. But, I am hoping I don't get that itch any time soon as I absolutely love it right now.

I like to buy new and keep a minimum of 10 years. That said im driving a 2008 toyota land cruiser and the model has yet to see a full refresh. Once the next cruiser comes out in 2-3 years I will buy which will make my 2008 14-15 years old. I feel like the upfront cost of 75k was well worth it for driving it that long.

I used to only buy used cars, and drive them until they became a financial burden. I can't remember the last time I got less that 200K miles out of one. It's usually closer to 250K before I finally give up on it. The current '14 Kia Soul is only the second new car I've ever bought, has been paid off for a couple years now, and has 165K miles on it. It's still running strong, and has never had any major issues, so I'm not thinking of getting rid of it yet.

If you are one of those who look for long-term plays like I do, this may be helpful. I've had several mechanics tell me that 4-cylinder engines on the newer models aren't/won't last as long as they used to. The reason is that to meet the federal fuel economy standards the industry is using forced induction and other design choices that are stressing these engines like never before.

Not including leases / company vehicles, how long do you typically hold on to a car or truck?

Would you prefer to stay in a newer vehicle, despite having that car payment, or do you run it to 200,000 miles and only get new when you have to?

Also, when you make that purchase, is it typically a brand new vehicle, or do you go more for one that is a year or two old?
My current truck is a 2013 Ford Superduty diesel. It has 79,000 miles. I’ve been keeping my trucks about 10 years. I also have a company vehicle for work so the truck is basically a weekend driver. Most likely I’ll keep it for another 5 years then buy a new one for my retirement years.
I buy new because I tend to keep my vehicles for a decent amount of time.

I am 53 and have owned 5 cars, plus one that my parents bought me. Two of those were purchased new. I drive a 1999 Chevy Prizm (aka Toyota Corolla) with 137K miles on it and will keep doing so until it dies, because maintenance and insurance costs are ridiculously cheap and I don't drive much. The trunk has room for two sets of clubs, the A/C and radio both work and I can get it to 80 on the freeway, so that works for me. :)

I'm currently driving a 2013 Hyundai Sonata, bought it new so I've had it for the last 6 years. I'm starting to look for new transportation. While my wife and were in Florida recently we had a 2020 Ford Fusion for our ride. I kinda really started liking it before we returned home. So now I'm thinking about either a 2020 Sonata or a 2020 Fusion. Haven't made the big decision yet.

I've had success buying 10 year old vehicles with low miles, and then driving them until they turn to dust.
I can do basic maintenance and most repairs on my own, which helps with this strategy.

I try to keep mine for a couple years past when I feel like I've paid for them or they've paid for themselves, so they can start paying me.
Bought a new Chrysler PT Cruiser in 2003 & only drive it to the golf course weekly. Still runs great and has only 37,000 miles on it!

Back