How Long Do You Play a Set of Irons?

Midman03

Reaction score
I've been playing my set of TM irons for about 3 years and this got me thinking. How long do you guys play a set of irons before going shopping?

I'm on 3 years with my primary set. I have been meaning to replace them, but I still love them. I regrip 2 or 3 times a year.

Until I found THP, ten years. Been here just over four years and I'm on my third set of irons. But I can explain . . . .

I was selcected as a long-term tester of a set of irons. My existing irons were two years old. Then my joints told me I should be playing graphite shafts, and with two full sets of irons as trade, it made sense. Especially among this crowd. I think I will keep my current set five years minimum.

I play them until I find a better set. Regrip every other season. This set is in their 4th year. I already checked with Ping about having them “refinished” and surprisingly it’s relatively inexpensive based upon the costs of new irons. $17.75 per club is good!

Last edited:
I'll typically play a set of irons for 3 years and then upgrade.

Everything else in the bag has been about a two year turnover.

Putter? A LONG damned time. I've been playing golf since around 2001. I've owned 3 putters in that time. The latest I bought last year.

Change iron set every chance I get. Doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad I just like trying different iron set. Can be new or old model I wished I tried before.
Keep putter for long time. Will try few here and there but always come back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple/few months.

Stupid state of the world throwing off my routine though.

It depends on how well I like them and how well I hit them. Have gone 10 or 12 years when I wasn't playing a ton of golf. Playing about 250 rounds a year these days so 4 years would probably pretty well wear them out. Don't do driving range so all wear is during the course of play.

5 years when I was younger. 10 years when I was older.

Regripping as needed, and keeping the heads clean allows them to last longer. .

My current gamers are going on 13 years of practice, and play.. I have no plans to buy a new set of irons. Metal woods either.

Hmm a bunch of these responses have me thinking I can hold out a little longer. Guess I can buy that new 3wood now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my previous irons for about 3 years before I upgraded this year. I hope to keep these at least the same amount of time but hopefully longer. I am a complete sucker for new equipment though and when something catches my eye, it's hard to tell myself no :LOL:

I played my last set of irons for ten years. 4 months so far on the current set.

Before I was able to upgrade recently I was at 15 years on my old set.

I usually go through a few sets at the beginning of the year then pick one and sell the others. Repeat the following spring

I played my Ping G25s for many years, until I decided to switch it up last year and got a set of Callaway Rogue Pros. Couple of months later I was lucky enough to win a place on the MC and won a set of Cobra Forged Tecs. The Callaways have been relegated to the spare room, and the Cobras will be in the bag for a long time...

I'm on 3 years with my primary set. I have been meaning to replace them, but I still love them. I regrip 2 or 3 times a year.
How many rounds do you play in a year? Wondering if I should be re-gripping more than I am...

In the last 20 years I have had 4 sets of irons so I don't really think I am qualified to answer that question

Current set (in my sig) is coming up to a year in the bag, the previous Z545 set were in my bag for a few years whilst I worked through all my swing improvements, then prior to that the Ping set I had was at least 10 years in my bag

I played my Ping G25s for many years, until I decided to switch it up last year and got a set of Callaway Rogue Pros. Couple of months later I was lucky enough to win a place on the MC and won a set of Cobra Forged Tecs. The Callaways have been relegated to the spare room, and the Cobras will be in the bag for a long time...
And yet your signature still has the Ping G25 clubs listed..... :LOL:

In the last 20 years I have had 4 sets of irons so I don't really think I am qualified to answer that question

Current set (in my sig) is coming up to a year in the bag, the previous Z545 set were in my bag for a few years whilst I worked through all my swing improvements, then prior to that the Ping set I had was at least 10 years in my bag

And yet your signature still has the Ping G25 clubs listed..... :LOL:

Haha well spotted, must update!

Usually around 1-2 years.

On average I would say every 2 years although I am keeping my backup Srixon combo set for the odd round, for me a really nice blend and smart looking set.

Much longer relative to the rest of the bag. Currently gaming my 5th set of irons through 35+ years of playing.

I had my current set reshafted over the winter, which was a first time thing for me, extending the life of this set.

that said - I am always lurking and seeing if any new tech in irons would push me toward an upgrade.

I’ve played my G2 irons for about as long as when they were introduced. I did have a brief switch to a set of TM irons but came back. I look all the time but occasionally I hit one just right and think why bother buying another set.

I played some irons for a very long time actually play my whole set well longer than usual. That was before I found THP. Things may change but probably still not replacing for at least 3-5.

I'd say 5 on average. My current irons are very similar to my prior set of 3 years. So much so that I practice with the old set using the new only for on course play. This will protect my grooves. i expect next time I change it will be to drop down to a flex more suitable for my age or because I want a set where I can shape the ball flight better

Back