How Long Do You Play a Set of Irons?

Like the rest of my bag there's not a great answer, until I get the itch for something new. That's been anywhere from a month to a year recently.

My last set was used & I played them for close to 15 years & decided I wanted a new set for my 50th. So I just got a new set Cobra F9s & probably won't replace them for a few years, unless I'm lucky enough to win one of the contests here on THP.

I've been playing my set of TM irons for about 3 years and this got me thinking. How long do you guys play a set of irons before going shopping?

I went 27 years on my first quality set of irons.

Been through 10-12 sets since.......errrrr kinda.

My best golf bud and I build clubs, so I'm always trying something or stealing clubs from him and vice versa..

I change irons less than anything else in the bag. I generally keep them 4-5 years before getting the urge to switch to something else. Years ago, I used to turn over iron sets every few months. A guy I met a guy from a golf board around 2005. We probably played 30 rounds a year together. By 20012 or so it dawned on me that played the same irons and was a phenomenal irons player. That changed my perspective.

I ordered a custom set of PING G25s when they came out. I played them until 2018 when I changed to Srixon 565s. I play on keeping these at least another 3 seasons unless something really jumps out at me.

Not long enough, usually. Ideally, Id probably play a set for 5 years but I like to tinker.

26 years, so far.
I bought my Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons new, and still play them.

If loving them is wrong, I don't want to be right...

But, if any of you are abandoning a 1-2 year old discarded set of high end irons and want to send them to me so I can see the error of my ways, feel free to pass them on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back in 2004, I had been gaming my Ping Eye 2 irons for about 13 years. The grooves on many were wearing enough to hurt performance, especially wedges. I told my buddy I was thinking of new irons, but didn't want to put out the $$$ for Callaway. He said he knew how I could get them - he had a newspaper route, but had to be on the road for most of January, 2005. If I did his route I could make about $900 for the month. Long story short, I got up at 0310 every day for a month and ran his 90 minute route.

The newly released Callaway X18 Pro Series had just been released, and I ordered them custom fit for $650 - gave the rest to Mrs SAM to pay off a leather recliner she had bought, for her putting up with my nightly travels.

I still game them, still in excellent shape since I play WAAAAY less than I used to play. I've lost about 2 clubs of distance, and sometimes I think of new clubs or softer shafts in these, but I really don't think I am playing enough (like 8 times a year) to justify that, or to even adjust to that.

Some are implying here, the clubs wear out. What do you actually see? Loss of distance? Is your score higher with worn out clubs?

Some are implying here, the clubs wear out. What do you actually see? Loss of distance? Is your score higher with worn out clubs?
I believe most are referring to the grooves wearing down. Wedges are most impacted, irons too. Don't think distance loss would result but worn grooves could certainly hurt quality of shots and ability to score as well.

Not long enough

Played my first set of beginner's irons for almost a year, until I got fitted for my M4s at the beginning of 2018. Then last month I built myself a set of P790s and sold the M4s to my brother. So, 2 years is the longest I've kept a set but I'm quite sure that these P790s will easily beat that.

I am at around 10 years, keep them clean and regrip every year or two and I don't see changing.

Longest I’ve owned has been 4 years, but recently have been changing them yearly (or more frequently). I’m settling in with the ones I own and don’t see a need to replace them.

Back