How long does it take a putter to "die?"

It usually dies after three rounds of bad putting. In terms of dealing with the wife, and buying a new putter; a new putter Will make your playing experience so much better, and let her new know that the cost of the putter pales in comparison in terms of the time and effort that you put into the game.

I've never kept one long enough to find out.... They keep getting replaced.

there's a ping blade at my local shop that has my eye...it's also on sale. I think it's kismet.

there's a ping blade at my local shop that has my eye...it's also on sale. I think it's kismet.

I didn't know that Ping made a blade putter called Kismet? :LOL:

In some aspects golfing is the complete opposite of other team sports. In other team sports if the team is doing bad the coach is the one fired not the players of team. In golf the players ( putter for instance) get fired not the coach for not performing. :unsure: :laughing:

Hey chile

If you end up buying the Ping blade putter, I hope it rolls well for you. ;) (y)

Just say a new club means time out of the house to shop, test, and then try it out on the golf course... aka time away. She’ll appreciate the “me time”, but really it’s your “me time” too!

I don't know, but in my experience willingness to set something aside based on it being old, well used, just different, or 'not as exciting as something new' isn't something that should ever be argued with a wife.

You love your putter @chile . You cherish it. You only need a new one so the one true putter in your life can be kept in a safe place and loved and admired while the newer but definitely not better one can get beat up on the course at no great concern. ;)

The best argument I ever had was this...
...honey, my putter was stolen
...in broad daylight
...from the locked trunk of my car
...parked on one of the busiest streets in the Bay Area
...with all my other clubs and bag

This actually happened.

Dummy me. I went out and purchased exactly the same make/model putter!

Last edited:
I left it on the green, could not find it in "Lost and Found."

I think my “retired” putters just get tired of my inconsistent, pathetic stroke and decide its best for them to take a timeout. I believe we should honour their wishes, they will tell you when.

So, you’re explanation to your wife is that you are just responding to the wishes of some helpless individual (your putter) who was in pain....I’m sure she’ll understand.

The time they take to die varies with each species.
I had a putter that died 3 weeks after it climbed into my bag.
But...my current putter is going on 9 years old and is healthy as a horse.
YMMV

You love your putter @chile . You cherish it. You only need a new one so the one true putter in your life can be kept in a safe place and loved and admired while the newer but definitely not better one can get beat up on the course at no great concern. ;)

so, if I grab that Toulon or Scotty, the only way to love it is to let it sit....then buy another (frontline) to cherish (protect) it?

The best way to get the wife on board with a new club purchase is to convince her that the other guys are making fun of you and your old club. Once convinced that that is happening, she'll see how that might reflect on HER and will enthusiastically support the new purchase. You're welcome... lol

It doesn't help that I just made a purchase of a Carbon Bandit Ringo on Friday...
-Bishop

Nice pickup, I got a Carbon Ringo cs off Ebay not all that long ago. (y)

so, if I grab that Toulon or Scotty, the only way to love it is to let it sit....then buy another (frontline) to cherish (protect) it?

Yeah. That sounds about right.

And you can't just keep something beautiful at home ALL the time. You have to take it out and show it a good time every now and then. Show it off, let everyone know how proud you are and how much you appreciate it, right?

I have seen putters removed from water hazards after a lengthy stay. They were cleaned up, and put back in use via the bargain bin. Cant't drown them I guess.

Now, I'm thinking, using the proper blow torch, on the proper setting, the putter's life expectancy would be something less than 90 seconds. Just guessing here as I am not a Club M.D...........

2 for the price of 2, good idea! o_O

Each of my putters has been progressively more expensive. Now that I have that top of the line putter, I'm done. (One of my buddies had 176 putters [no 2 the same] at last count lined up on the walls of his garage.)

Man, we feel for you:
1.the fact your questioning this confirms you”need” a new putter and money should be no object

or

2. buy the putter. Have it delivered to your workspace. Swap it out of the golf bag. It often works with guitars and amps. They all look the same to some people

Back