How long does it take a putter to "die?"

Now you got me wondering if after you buy the putter does it still have that new putter smell? ;)

Nope. That new putter smell actually contains pheromones that help you play better too.

No such thing. Ive got a couple putters that are over 100 years old and they still work just as well today as the day they were made. If your wife try to give you the, "you dont need to spend money on that", perhaps you could point out the things that she spends money on that maybe she doesnt really need.

No such thing. Ive got a couple putters that are over 100 years old and they still work just as well today as the day they were made. If your wife try to give you the, "you dont need to spend money on that", perhaps you could point out the things that she spends money on that maybe she doesnt really need.

unfortunately, since I retired from active duty, we have reversed roles here :ROFLMAO::cool:

That might turn into one long list.

In my experience even my best behaved putters have to be put in ‘time out’ every so often as a reminder that they can be replaced.

Ya I don't think they die per say, but get lonely for sure. Pretty sure there is an unspoken rule of ownership of at least 2 putters, but 3-5 is optimal.

The way the conversation is going a putter collection is a must. Good thing I'm working on that. :LOL: Options, options.

Lucky for me, my wife supports me in my golfing obsession. Man, even I don't believe that statement. o_O

Well for me it was 1 round, the Bettinardi has been banished and returned. Just did not feel good on the course and I only made one putt with it all morning from basically any length and that was a 30 ft uphill to a sideslope pin 6-8 ft of break close your eyes and wack it putt that went in for the only birdie of the day.

Scotty gets his chance tomorrow....

Best to tell the truth - I have lost confidence in the putter. Of course we can only use this argument once. Or you could do what I did and start a putter collection. Then it really gets expensive.

...and remember to let her know it was on sale!

unfortunately, since I retired from active duty, we have reversed roles here :ROFLMAO::cool:
I hear you. Im looking at probably being semi-retired in the next 5 years and going from working in a auto plant and making $60K a year to going to school and eventually becoming a barber and probably only making about $30K a year. I currently can spend pretty much whatever I want on golf and my wife doesnt really even know about it. Im not really looking forward to the future when we have more joint finances and she can actually see what my spending is.
That might turn into one long list.
Same here which is partly why my wife really hassles me about the discretionary purchases that I make.
Lucky for me, my wife supports me in my golfing obsession.
Same here. My wife has always known and respected how much I love golf and has never made the time or money that I spend on it a issue in our marriage. Not only that, for my 40th birthday she is paying for us to make a trip to Arcadia Bluffs in Michigan for the weekend. Its probably going to be an $800 weekend but she doesnt care. She knows how much I love golf, what a beautiful course it is and how much fun of a weekend it will be. She even told me, "you only turn 40 once".

It grew legs and walked away... Or you will never believe what happened at the course today, I went to the restroom before the round and got to the first tree went to use the putter and realized it was gone .. have you seen it?

Sounds crazy, but sometimes it works better to go backward than forward. If your current putter is dying, pull your old ones out and play them for a while or look at "thrift" shops and used club outfits for a cheap replacement. Adjusting to those options may help you fix what has really died - your putting stroke. I have been using a Ping Anser for the past couple of years, but changed to a "saw" grip in an effort to fix my yips. Sorta worked. But then I pulled out my old Nickent Pipe putter for no good reason at all. It is kind of silly looking, but the yips are gone and I'm drilling putts again. The pace is especially good, even if I get the line wrong. Same old story - it's the Indian, not the arrow. Don't take it personally.

I suppose you could always pull the shaft and tell her it is not repairable... although maybe honesty is the best policy

I think it’s Tiger but not positive. His putter face is wore down he’s been using it so long.

Well for me it was 1 round, the Bettinardi has been banished and returned. Just did not feel good on the course and I only made one putt with it all morning from basically any length and that was a 30 ft uphill to a sideslope pin 6-8 ft of break close your eyes and wack it putt that went in for the only birdie of the day.

Scotty gets his chance tomorrow....

Scotty is really good Rambler and I were putting for like an hour at the dome today and my Newport is flat out money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putters should be considered candidates for retirement and may be replaced if any one of the following conditions are satisfied:

• Summer solstice
  • Winter solstice
  • A full moon happening on a Friday the 13th
  • If you ever struck a putt near a black cat, swan, bird, or golfer wearing black (best to be safe)
  • If you were required to watch the Hallmark Channel
  • A day that ends in Y

it'd be a real shame if it when missing from you bag while practicing at the range.... or stolen from you car. Get a good buddy and drop some hints, you'll have full deniability.

In reference to Canadan's point, unless I was to find something in the Scotty Custom Shop, buying a new putter is a significantly lesser-expensive collection than my other hobbies: Saxophones, and Guns.

My justification is that I should be able to have one putter which is made from each milled material: 303 Stainless, 1025 Carbon, 303 GSS, Teryllium. And, inserts shouldn't be left out in the cold.

Oh, and how do I know who the best manufacturer is, unless I own at least one from each manufacturer? The honeymoon phase in a shop just isn't a sufficient period of time.

Oh, and which boutique shop makes the best one?

It doesn't help that I just made a purchase of a Carbon Bandit Ringo on Friday...

-Bishop

Just tell her to mind her own business, then duck. :D

Seriously though, go to your local putting green and line up 5 15' putts. If you make all 5, there's nothing wrong with that putter. Anything less there's room for improvement. (y)

Back