How Long Have You Been Playing Without Making a Hole In One

I'm on my 8th year since getting my last ace.

It has been 16 years since my last one.
My brother in-law, a 24 handicap has had 5 in the last 6 years.:banghead:

It has been 16 years since my last one.
My brother in-law, a 24 handicap has had 5 in the last 6 years.:banghead:
thats partly why to me they really dont mean anything. All they are is nothing more than simply at that moment one great shot or sometimes one lucky shot.

I started golfing 45 years ago as a young GI. 27 years ago, in Waco, I holed out a bladed shank that should've been way OOB were it not for a baked out embankment up to a road bordering the course to the right of me.
CaptureHIO (2).png
I still hold out hope that some day I'll make a pretty ace I actually deserve but that hideous shank is it so far. FWIW I did hole out a pretty one 6 years ago in Wichita. But it was a re-tee after fatting my first tee shot into a pond fronting the green so it was for a three.

Last edited:
I've never seen one either. Closest was my roommate who cut the corner on our college course that made a 350yard 90 degree dog leg left about 250-270. It finished about an inch above the hole. It's almost impossible that it didn't fall in. The guys in front of us stayed at the green because they heard the ball land and watched it roll down. My roommate tried to mark it and when he put it down he couldn't get it to rest.

Nice shot Canadan. I have to ask: did you make the putt?

I've been golfing 4 years, so it's been over 4 years.:D:D:D

I really appreciate this support group ✊

Very close, but not once have I carded one.

~30 years of playing

30+ years; came really close a few months ago but still denied.

My entire life. Got a sniff at it maybe twice at most. Haven’t actually seen anyone hit one live either.

Maybe we can generate some good karma for one of us. I’m hoping it’s me (48 years plus) but I will genuinely be happy for any THPer who makes their first ace this season.

I started playing golf when I was 8 (I think). By that math its been 20 years.

However there was a decade I did not play at all. I'm going to say my clock restarted when I came back to golf about 3 years ago. That makes me feel better.

I have a HIO that can’t be counted per the rules before this new edit of the rules, I was at a pitch and putt with my 3 kids, 109 yards 1 bounce and in. So I have been playing about 20 years now without one. The closest I came was in Ocean City MD at Lighthouse Sound Golf Course on the million dollar hole in one challenge hole, if I made the HIO I would have won a trip to Vegas for the chance at a million. I was 8 inches from the hole to the side of it, right distance poor aim, 😂. Oh well!

42 years playing, no hole in one but got an Albatross when I was 16 (1981) 220 yards out, didn't see it go in the hole but it was my ball at the bottom of the cup.

I started in 1999. Played bunches from 1999-2006. Played little in 2007. Played a bit in 2008-2009 with my (then) 7 year old. Played little in 2010-2011. Played next to none in 2012-2016. Played bunches in 2017-2020.

I'd estimate I've played 700-800 rounds of 18 holes and 100-200 rounds of 9 holes. Figure an average of 4.5 par 3 holes in the 18 hole rounds and an average of 5 par 3 holes in the 9 hole rounds (I played many 9 hole rounds on a par 3 course in Hawaii that increases that average) and I'll guess I've had between 3650 and 4600 chances to make an ace.

I'm still aceless.

Playing 56 years, I've never made a legitimate ace. I made one on a "Pony" course from about 75 yds. many years ago. And this week, I made 3 of them on the driving range. Those don't count. Still aiming and waiting.

Started playing in 2007, been close a couple of times, but close doesn't count.

Back