How long have you been stuck at your handicap?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been a 6-7 for about as long as I can remember. I never seem to get much lower and even bad rounds don't seem to affect it much. On any given day I could shoot 74 or 88 it seems. I just don't have a ton of time to practice which is why I haven't sought lessons, I feel like it would be a waste of money potentially. How about you?

I've been a 6-7 for about as long as I can remember. I never seem to get much lower and even bad rounds don't seem to affect it much. On any given day I could shoot 74 or 88 it seems. I just don't have a ton of time to practice which is why I haven't sought lessons, I feel like it would be a waste of money potentially. How about you?

Almost 20 years. :confused:

• Admin
Mine has essentially not moved since I started tracking it seven years ago. Always in the 29-31 range. I’ve pretty much given up on getting better. I’m taking lessons, but at this point I think it’s just so I don’t get WORSE.

As a relatively new golfer (3 years after 30 year layoff), my HC is constantly getting lower. The first year, I was shooting in the high 100s, the second year, the low 100s to high 90s, and now the low 90s to mid 90s. I hope to get down to the 80s someday, and I will be happy to remain there me thinks.

I’m at an all-time low, down 3 from the end of last season. Been here for about a month and hoping to keep up the momentum.

I took up golf again after a 10 year layoff about 4 years ago.

Before the layoff I was at a 6-7 handicap for several years. I just didn't have the time to devote to my golf game to get the number lower.

Currently, Ive been at 13 for 2 years, down from an 18 when I came back. 4 years ago. I don't see it going any lower than that.

I don't think I've really improved much since I got out of college (and stopped being able to golf constantly). I'm at 15 trending back to my standard mean of 16-18. I just feel like this is sort of my natural ability and barring a ton of free time and money to really devote to improving that's kind of what I'll always be. I can go out and shoot in the low 80s on a good day, but despite my wishes I just don't think I'm headed for the 70s any time soon.

Not to thread hijack, but how many of you kind of settled in to your ability level and have stayed there? Once I got familiar with the game this is just kind of where I've settled in and outside of the years I golfed all the time I was always kind of been here. Even when I was golfing 3-5 times a week I'd guess at best I was a high single, low teens cap.

For about 2-3 years but am okay with that at this point in my life and game.

Been a 14-15 for about a year. A lot of tinkering over the past couple months has really hindered me. I have tried to reduce my in to out path which has reduced my consistency for a longer period then I was expecting. It's starting to get better but some days I just can't hit a ball. Like I said he front 9 yesterday I shot a 51 due to taking a small swing change to the course I have been working on, but was on pace for a 43 on the back with no swing thought. It got dark and didn't finish it the round.

I've been stuck for about two years but i've only been tracking it for about 4 and did make some strides before I lost my swing. I've mostly got it back and have felt that I'm close to moving a bit lower this year. We'll see how that goes but I'm hopeful.

After a good 7-8 year hiatus of recording a score, I started tracking it a little over 2 years ago and I've fluctuated between 11 and 12.

About a month. Twice monthly lessons, practicing 2-3 times a week and playing at least once a week plus the fact that my swing was so bad even small improvements yielded pretty quick results.

Now, lets hope I can keep grinding it down, each stroke you drop means the next stroke to cut is going to be even more difficult.

i started going the other way a few years ago. before then was getting better and better every year. was fun watching the handicap go down each year, then i hit a wall with injuries and just lack of playing. now work and family have taken their effects on my game. now i just play for fun, no need to keep track of a handicap anymore.

i still like reading several members accounts on their rounds and how they are getting better.

I've been the same way however with a slightly bigger range of 5-8. It goes up and down between those numbers like a yo-yo. I think practice time and lessons would help, but without the time to do it, then I'll continue to be stuck in what what my local pro calls "handicap hell".

It has steadily gone down, especially the last year, but I don't think I will ever reach single digits. I think around 12 is as much as my athletic potential will let me go, and that's still asking a lot.

I have been at a 7 for 5 years now. It increased a little after switching golf clubs from a local muni with a 115 slope to one at 135. Being wild off the tee and long putts are probably the top 2 things holding me back.

I’ve been in the 14 range for the last two years. I’ve really struggled to find consistency to bring my scores down. Really hoping this year is the year I can get below 10

Almost 20 years. :confused:

I think sustaining a consistent handicap over 20 years is an outstanding accomplishment! That's like standing in place in the Colorado River in the bottom of the Grand Canyon for 20 years through every minute of change in water flow, weather conditions, boats, visitors, wildlife, etc.👍

My cap has been up and down like my golf game. I have been trying to get my cap down some more, but seems my games are up and down and not steady enough. I am trying to figure out if lessons can really help with the type of issue I have.

They would probably tell me to practice which I already play and practice a lot now. I feel like it would be a waste of money at this time as I simply need to be consistent with my game minimizing bad putts and other bad shots and that would make the difference for me.

I have been about a 9 for about 20 years now....My low was 2 back in 70's....slid up to about 7 for 20 years and now 9 for 20 years....

I dropped into a 12ish range for the past 5 years. Hoping more diligent practice, data tracking, and some lessons push me down.

mine moves around so much. i was an 8 for a long time before i found thp. then with some equipment info and swing help, i improved to a 4. regressed back to a 7, now down to a 5. it just bounces around a lot.

Very very long new technology and all.
But winds are changing soon I hope.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Back