How long have you been stuck at your handicap?

I have learned that the more time I spend on practice range and actually golfing, my scores and handicap are much improved. I have been anywhere from 7 to 20 thru my 35 years of golfing. I am just now really getting back into it after a 10 year layoff due to kids and their activities. They are out of house now and my time is being spent solely on golf, yippee, so in the last 3 months, my scores have gone from around 95 + or - a few strokes to about 85 most of the time. I am not keeping my handicap presently, but do intend on starting too soon as my club will handle it for me. I wanted to at least get into decent play before I started keeping it. I anticipate that with more time alloted to it, I will get down to 80 over next few months on average and then probably struggle to get much lower.

I've been stuck between 6 and 9 since 2014 basically. I feel like I'm a better player now but the scores say otherwise.

I've had two long plateaus. For probably 6-7 years at one stretch I played off basically a 22hcp. That was where it settled once my first few years as a beginner were behind me.

Then I did a lot of practicing and lessons and strength training and drove it briefly as low as 13-ish. But I wasn't willing to do all of that long-term so I just went back to playing.

So it drifted back to up to around 16 and has spent the past decade hovering within a range of a couple strokes above or below that.

Who knows. Been shooting the same scores from the wound ball and steel head driver days to current. I believe I'm a better player now and am using "better" equipment. I will say my lowest rounds have all been within the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’ve been a 6-8 for a while - currently a 5.4 thanks primarily to playing the same course for all but 2 of my rounds this year.

If I had a 10 or lower handicap, I'd be smiling my stuck *** off :) I've been stuck in the low 20's for years but have a goal to get down to mid-teens. What has held me back is that I've always had certain distances from which I had no consistent play from. I'm finally at a point where no matter where I am on the course, I have high confidence I will have good contact and results with a club I am comfortable with from any location on the course. I think course management is my next big challenge - making smart decisions that take advantage of what I do well.

Between 6 and 9 depending on how my left shoulder is doing. Cortisone and Srixon ZX irons have it going back down at the moment.

I have been around my current handicap for around 8-9 months
I got my index down to the lowest I have been at 7.3 briefly, but lately it has crept back up to 7.5 just due to the fact that I have been having issue with my back which get worse as the round goes on

It is getting better, but in the meantime I expect to quite possibly end up back over 8 until my body heals properly

How long I will be stuck there will depend on how quickly my body heals itself

Hovered around a 15 for about 20 years. Got really serious, and had it down to an 8. Over the past couple years it crept back up, as my swing completely deteriorated.

Once I got the taste of great (for me) golf, I went all in, and hopefully by next season, I'll be where I want to be, to start working the next goal.

I have been stuck around 9-10 for about a year now. I have been working hard on my swing and keeping my rear elbow in the proper spot. It seems I will play some good golf and then certain holes just give me a beat down lol.

Mine has been in the 13 to 17 range for the past 3 to 4 years. This year trending more on the higher end unfortunately

Mine has steadily gone down over the past few years. I was an 18.6 a year ago, came down to an all-time low of 11.8 in April of this year. Since then I've fluctuated up and down between 11-14, and that seems to be the sticking point.

I had a ten year period in the past where my handicap was between 11 and 13. That was when I was playing at a minimum three times a week. Now, I'm lucky if I pay three times a month.

I was 26 ish when I started playing league a couple years ago. It came down some last year. This year it started at 24 and is currently 17.7

been roughly the same for a couple years now. I went through a spurt where I tanked my handicap through practicing and playing all the time, but once that stopped, I stayed stagnant. Now, especially with the new HC rules, my worse scores don't really seem to be moving it back up either. I feel stuck at a HC that I don't feel like I can play to anymore haha

Not long. Mine keeps going UP. :cry:

Oh, since about 1987, give or take.

Edit: although, I would say it's trending down this year.

Just long enough to not want to cry every time I see it.

Just long enough to not want to cry every time I see it.
What-ever! Now, when you spot me the 40 pops and I take you down, then maybe you'll be justified in weeping.

What-ever! Now, when you spot me the 40 pops and I take you down, then maybe you'll be justified in weeping.
Well, that's 39 now.. Care to keep trying to control my emotions @Hamfist ?! :p

I wish I had stuck! My handicap started at 21 and this year it has steadily been going UP. I don't compete so it is just a benchmark of how I am improving, or in this case regressing.

I am pretty much stuck in the 2.5-5 index. 20 years ago I played between 0-2 for quite a while but I think I will have some difficulty getting back there given age, physical challenges and time constraints I have right now.

Back