How Long Since Your Personal Best?

Like several of you, my personal best was back in my youth. 76 (+4)... from the tips on a Tom Fazio course... I don't remember the exact year but back in the mid 80's. I had mentioned this story on the Breaking 80 thread. I didn't even realize I had a round in the 70's going until after I tallied my score after #18. It was one of those days where I avoided big numbers. Bogey was my worst score on any hole that day but nothing felt out of the ordinary.

Then, in the mid 90's I shot a 77 from the tips on a different Fazio course but it had my best 9 ever, an inward 37 (+1) and I beat a visiting PGA Club Pro that had challenged me to a game with some small $'s involved. That back 9 is the best golf I ever played and the closest I ever came to having everything working at the same time. What is weird, is I can actually remember an amazing amount of detail of that back 9 in my memory.

I moved from south Florida in December of '98 and then never re-established playing golf in the Chicago suburbs. No golf friends, no course connections. I maybe played a dozen rounds in 6 years and stopped in 2004 or 2005. Now, I'm trying to restart my game. I have a long way to go but I'm seeing progress. I just have to have a correct expectation for a almost 67 y.o. Even though I remember crushing my driver and throwing darts at pins back in the day. Not easy mentally.

Last edited:
Coming up on 25 years.

About a week before the Bridgestone Championship this year. I started the year playing really well with a couple PB rounds that carried through April and May. By June I had started to lose my swing but I had one round where I straightened it out and hit 90. It's been a bit of a mess since but I'll get it figured out by spring.

2 months ago I shot a 73. Gotten close since then with 2 74's but still trying to best it.

2 years since I shot my PB... : (

Yessir. my thoughts exactly.
I've told the story numerous times now, that I played a round of golf on a Fazio 135 slope course with a friend that shot a 64 that day. He opened up, Eagle, Birdy, Eagle to set the tone. That was incredible to see firsthand and it was just us two on the course. I shot 77 that day and felt like a hacker but 77 was a very good score for me. BTW, this was Persimmon wood days and blades for irons.

Can I ask what 2 courses you shot 62 on?

Last edited:
No, it's because 62 is a very stupid number lmao
Sounds like you're settling a bit..... 61.... or 59 sounds very stupid to me :p

Picture of the scorecard for my perusal would be appreciated.... auditing purposes, you understand, right? :ROFLMAO:

Yessir. my thoughts exactly.

Having seen you play in person, this isn't a surprise to me.... your swing is absolutely ridiculous and you make impossible look normal! Would love to have seen first hand! 62 as a PB is UFR!

Last edited:
I've told the story numerous times now, that I played a round of golf on a Fazio 135 slope course with a friend that shot a 64 that day. He opened up, Eagle, Birdy, Eagle to set the tone. That was incredible to see firsthand and it was just us two on the course. I shot 77 that day and felt like a hacker but 77 was a very good score for me. BTW, this was Persimmon wood days and blades for irons.

Can I ask what 2 courses you shot 62 on?
haha, I wish it was 62. That's the next notch on my belt but I'd be shocked if I ever got that low. That's an insane number.

First 63 was at the New Course - Grand Cypress in FL.. With a bunch of THPers.
Second was a few weeks ago at my home course, The Oasis in Ohio.

haha, I wish it was 62. That's the next notch on my belt but I'd be shocked if I ever got that low. That's an insane number.

First 63 was at the New Course - Grand Cypress in FL.. With a bunch of THPers.
Second was a few weeks ago at my home course, The Oasis in Ohio.
That is completely awesome! Your home course looks like it's the tougher of the two but you have a lot more familiarity with it.

I think at your level, anything is possible.... especially if you get on a roll, right out of the gate like my buddy did.

Lowest score was 75 and i did that twice on the same course in Oct 2016. But it is a par 70 track so just +5. Lowest to par was a 76 +4 about 30 years ago.
Glad this thread popped back up. Didn't realize it started over a year ago until I stumbled across my own response from last September. 2019 really was a good season for me. I now have a 72 (+2) on the '75' course and also a new PB in relation to par, 73 (+1). I know that one came on July 26th this year because we spent most of that day attending the Friday round of our local Korn Ferry event, Price Cutter Charity Championship. Watching all those birdies helped me I think. Wish the effect lasted longer.

Last edited:
I shot 83 in June. I only broke 90 one other time since then. I think next year it will be more common as I have been striking the ball really well lately.

I set my pb of 74 shots in May this year

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

2012 for me at Glen Abbey in Oakville, Canada. Came in 3rd low gross cause I effed the dog on 18 and closed with a double.

Personal best is 68 and I've shot that 5 times; the last was probably around 2009 at Cave Creek GC in Phoenix. I've only broken par on 18 holes a handful of times since, even though my lowest handicap years were 2013-2015.

Been working on a new swing though, so I hope to beat 68 one day!

It’s been long enough that I don’t even remember what it was. 92...94? I know it’s somewhere in that range. It’s nothing to be proud of so it hasn’t really stuck in my mind.

Thursday November 7th. Shot an 89 previous Best was a 92 about a month prior. Hopefully I can improve it another time or two before the end of the year.

48 years

Shot 72, 3 months ago and before that a year ago.

Back