How long till we see a full set of Hybrids??

4 thru 8 Mav Max hybrids
4 = 21*
5 = 24*
6 = 27*
7 = 30*
8 = 33*
I just hit my 8 hybrid yesterday at Top Golf, and likeed the results. It's hard to judge distance with their range balls, but I am expecting to get about 140 yard +/- with it.
Cool. I hit the b21 8h demo at galaxy recently and iirc it was around 137-140 which is a little longer than my normal 8i.

Cool. I hit the b21 8h demo at galaxy recently and iirc it was around 137-140 which is a little longer than my normal 8i.
That's just about right, because it's easier to back off a couple yard and keep the swing pure. I never thought I would use and 8h, but they are very useful clubs for me.

Cleveland was ahead of its time with the altitudes...and now the launchers...

My FIL loves hybrids
Do you guys think a good starting point is with the Altitudes then go to Launchers?Just to see without great expense, if it’s a way to go.

Do you guys think a good starting point is with the Altitudes then go to Launchers?Just to see without great expense, if it’s a way to go.
You probably could purchase just one Launcher and game it for a bit, like the 7. You may have to check around a bit.

Any company that marketed a full set of hybrids might do well do throw in a "chipper" for free...
What you talking about Willis? Chippers are great to bag. 😉

The Cleveland Launchers have actually been a pretty big hit in the market place, so much so that it has spawned 2-3 other companies to create similar designs. Thousands and thousands of sets have been sold each year.

Cleveland Hibore Launchers, Nike slingshots, Bazookas, Hogan CFT, some Mizuno are all close to hybrid sets. I game the slingshots. Super easy to hit. Negative is they are hard to shot shape

Cleveland Hibore Launchers, Nike slingshots, Bazookas, Hogan CFT, some Mizuno are all close to hybrid sets. I game the slingshots. Super easy to hit. Negative is they are hard to shot shape
Very true, but accuracy is prime.

Last edited:
Point is, how many golfers who purchase these types of clubs are interested in shot shaping, or are capable of shot shaping with any type of club? I have hybrids in my bag and I can shape them when I want to. Golfers who buy these clubs are looking primarily for eaze of hitting the ball and elevating it, and keeping it in play. I am a 14 cap and those are my desires.
Sorry to imply that shot shaping could not happen with hybrids and these super game improvement irons (?). I have to really lean on these clubs to curve them. When hitting my Mizuno mb33 blades shot shaping is quite a bit easier. I like both types of irons. The most responsive clubs (and unforgiving) I have are the playable hickories I game. Especially the woods. They are swing flaw detectors.

Sorry to imply that shot shaping could not happen with hybrids and these super game improvement irons (?). I have to really lean on these clubs to curve them. When hitting my Mizuno mb33 blades shot shaping is quite a bit easier. I like both types of irons. The most responsive clubs (and unforgiving) I have are the playable hickories I game. Especially the woods. They are swing flaw detectors.
No appology necessary, it was a good point, and accurate. If I could hit it straight every time I would be happy. New high MOI equipment has it's tradeoffs, they are harder to work compared to the other end of the spectrum, blades, but as you say, can be worked some.

Last edited:
Some would say that its already been done. Back in the days of hickory golf, full sets of clubs with wooden heads that were very similar to modern hybrids were not uncommon. Infact, Old Tom Morris play just such a set.

What you talking about Willis? Chippers are great to bag. 😉
I tell you one "crutch" club I'm contemplating - one of those "sure out" type wedges that Hogan used to make, with the ginourmous sole for sand traps. My bunker game went AWOL some time ago...

I tell you one "crutch" club I'm contemplating - one of those "sure out" type wedges that Hogan used to make, with the ginourmous sole for sand traps. My bunker game went AWOL some time ago...
Play the sure out 2 and love the wide sole to get out of the bunker. It's like automatic

I added the Sure out 64* since it came out. I’ve only ever had 3 eagles in my life and two were with it holing out from 65 yds with it. Also really good from the sand once you get the technique down.

Not sure if you can get them as a full set or individual clubs, but the KZG H370 hybrid went down to a 42 or 46 degree. I think @Jman or @JB did a review. I was going to hit some of them after reading it but the shop that had them stopped carrying KZG.

Not sure if you can get them as a full set or individual clubs, but the KZG H370 hybrid went down to a 42 or 46 degree. I think @Jman or @JB did a review. I was going to hit some of them after reading it but the shop that had them stopped carrying KZG.
That was me! Haha

Yeah, they’re a full set of hybrids all the way down, and man, hitting that high lifted hybrid is mind bending. Those don’t necessarily fit the OP as far as a major company, but they’re an option that the KZG fitters use a lot.

Yeah I wanted to try a 9H but due to Covid guideline with my sister in law due to give birth at the time, I had to self quarantine as much as possible. By the time I had a chance to go check them out, the shop stopped carrying them. They looked fun to hit, I’ve got a 2015 Big Bertha 7H in the bag now that I just love, encroaching on 6i distance.

The KZGs definitely look better quality than some of high lofted hybrids Ive seen. Great review as always @Jman ! Thank you. I’d still love to see Cobra, Ping and Callaway sink their tech into something like this and I still think they will at some point. Time will tell. Would love to be a fly on the wall at one these companies design development meeting and hear their thoughts. I’m sure it’s been discussed as Ping is dropping the 34 degree G425 in the market.

I'm definitely in the same boat. I have some blades, I have some F9 speedbacks but I've always wanted to try more hollowbody. I"m looking for that perfect "i haven't played a round in 2 months due to work and my tee time is in the morning" level of forgiveness.

On a sort of related note - are any companies besides like Orlimar making 11+ woods anymore? I've thought of going the 3-13 wood + scoring club bag but there doesn't seem to be many options.

Good selection here, I could see any of these in my bag, but those Cobra's look good!

Back